The Civil War (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:42:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Civil War (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Civil War  (Read 15650 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:51 AM »

So, something I've been mulling recently: why did the South lose the war, and who's to blame?  I'm writing an essay putting much of the blame on Lee, but of course there are other options.  What do y'all think?
The south had:
1/4 the numbers of people
1/2 the soldiers
3% of firearm production
and relied heavily on exports that were gone during the war

Blaming Lee for the loss is nuts.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:42 AM »

..and that's what I thought history had always told us.  One of those rare times history class in high school actually got it right. Smiley

(unless somebody has evidence pointing somewhere else, but I ain't seen it)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

It was more of the tarrifs imposed, the south had 20%of the population, but 80% of the tax burden
cite?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »

How many times are the goal posts going to move in this thread?  Did you all go to the Libertas School of Debate?  I'm waiting on proof the South paid 80% of all taxes and all of a sudden we're back to debating why the South left the Union and oddly, everybody is right.  Yes, the South left because of "states rights"....the only problem is the "right" they wanted was to continue to keep slaves.  If they were fighting for the "right" to keep and bear arms or even the "right" to set their own speed limits (yes I know not an issue at the time and probably not one worth dying over because really, it is a silly thing...but it makes a million times more sense than the "right" to keep another individual as property) then maybe I could get behind them.

Now, get back to showing me proof the South had 80% of the tax burden before the war because northern industrialists were complete douchebags or whatever...which is also something I could get behind.  Rich people from the NorthEast are the most annoying rich people anywhere in America.  Compare Trump to Buffet or Gates.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:06 AM »

You typing or cutting and pasting something isn't a cite.  We need actual links here Batman.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »

le sigh
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies