Gun to your head - Harris, Gillibrand or Klobuchar - The best candidate ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:03:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Gun to your head - Harris, Gillibrand or Klobuchar - The best candidate ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun to your head - Harris, Gillibrand or Klobuchar - The best candidate ?  (Read 3517 times)
Possiblymaybe
« on: September 06, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

Who out of the 3 will be the best female candidate considering Warren doesn't run? Who is the best challenger to the Bernie wing.

Harris is insanely boring, like Martin O'Malley type boring. You hear her interview & you see weakness, lack of confidence & flat out boredom which will put you into sleep. Gillibrand swears & is occasionally fiesty & has a smile on her face. Klobuchar is a smart, good looking young man who has some charisma & can speak. She is also sort of a moderate in today's environment or the most centrist of the 3.

Gun to your head if you had to chose - Klobuchar or Gillibrand or Harris?

I will probably take Gillibrand.

What have you been smoking?
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:47:19 AM »

Gillibrand came out for single payer before Harris did:

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/30/kirsten-gillibrand-becomes-latest-democrat-to-come-out-in-favor-of-single-payer-health-care/

For that matter, Gillibrand supported allowing anyone to buy into Medicare more than 10 years ago, back when she was in the House.

Strictly not true Harris actually came out in support on podsave America on may 8th and has always been pro Medicare for all.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6ykTf8Qf4
As far as I am concerned this is about putting your money where your mouth is. Its difficult to compare as Harris wasn't a legislator or senator until 2017 but as far as I can see Gillibrand may have payed lip service to the idea but has yet to cosponsor any Medicare for all bill. (She didn't cosponsor Bernies bills over her years in senate and correct me if I am wrong but I don't think she got behind John Conyers medicare bills in the house either?) I would definitely expect her to support Bernies bill this time around though as she has been more vocal in her support lately.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »

Gillibrand.

Klobuchar is essentially a Blue Dog Dem who wants everyone to like her, so she votes for corporate stuff and emphasizes what a good friend she is with all the Republicans.

The only things she votes for is bills that 95% of Americans support. She is a joke.

Where as Gillibrand was never at all a blue dog, and has no ties to corporate America...

Yeah she has a blue dog anti immigration and pro gun past, from what I remember she angered a lot of people in the poc community early on. Also she has more ties to Wall Street than the other two. She was picked by Hillarys circle for hillarys old senate seat. Harris got raked over the coals for one fundraiser with some people who backed Hillary, imagine the reaction when gillibrand is vetted, her ties to hillary is significantly more extensive than the two others plus she calls  Hillary her mentor and likes to say in interviews it was Hillary who inspired her to seek public office.

It's definitely between Harris or gillibrand on personality, klobuchar just doesn't have gillibrand bubbly personality or Harris charisma and wit.I feel like Harris has more potential long term to be a good president ( she's also more progressive so I'd prefer her) but my feeling is 2020 is too early for her. So it's probably gonna be gillibrand.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2017, 08:14:07 AM by Possiblymaybe »

I would obviously support any of them wholeheartedly in the general. I am at the point where electability is EVERYTHING. I barely even care what their core issues are - ANY democrat is better than any republican at this point. So I judge candidates on their ability to defeat the republican candidate, which may or may not be Donald Trump.

Gillibrand strikes me as weak. What some see as a "bubbly personality" I see as a weakness. We are talking about electing the first female president here. For that to happen, said female candidate would probably have to exude strength. Or at the very least strong competence. Gillibrand fails on both counts as I see it. This is with the caveat that I am from Denmark and not exposed to regular senators, house members and governors the way that americans are, so I am basing this on watching a few interviews with her.

Klobuchar could be too boring for the primary, but might be a very solid general election candidate. She appears competent, quite likable and pretty much squeaky clean. She would probably be the hardest target for the usual GOP/FOx/Talk radio hit job that they'll do on any dem candidate. That is a very good thing.

Harris is the one I have seen the least of the three but what I have seen has been promising. She seems competent and well spoken and her mixed racial background could potentially boost her in the primaries.

Basically, I'd take Gillibrand last of those three. Undecided on whether I prefer Harris or Klobuchar at this point.

I don't think Gillibrand is weak but I'd probably agree that she exudes less strength or authority than the other two. I realise some of the comments may exhibit a double standard. We don't comment on how much male candidates smile or if their personalities are bubbly. However this isn't Europe. Americans (unfortunately) vote for personality more than depth of knowledge or smarts. As we saw in 2016...  And women being strong might also be used against them.. Gillibrand probably comes across as the least threatening to a certain type of person.

Klobuchar is solid like you said but I just don't see her as someone who can excite the base. And I also don't know that we know she's is squeaky clean, given that she's a former prosecutor there's bound to be something that's gonna anger some interest group ( Harris was widely regarded as one of the most progressive AGs in the country but has caught heat for some of the things she did or in some cases didn't do.) Klobuchar just hasn't been vetted yet because there hasn't been as much hype around her as the other two.

My thinking was that Gillibrand is probably more ready for 2020. Harris is too green and it's harder to judge how effective she would be on the campaign trail given that she's new to this and we haven't seen that much. But after watching her on the beat with ari the other night I am not ruling her out for 2020. She came across as smart but also really personable and warm. It was a very good talk show debut.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies