HI 2014 Congressional Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:55:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI 2014 Congressional Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Author Topic: HI 2014 Congressional Elections  (Read 49098 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »

It wasn't respectful for his person. It was his seat, and Hanabusa was clearly the best candidate to fill this seat: US representative, Inouye's last wish,... I don't understand why we support Schatz just because he has successfully schemed with Rod Blagojevich Neil Abercrombie to be appointed US senator. People shouldn't do a successfully career because of their shenanigans.

Schatz is younger, more liberal, and hasn't had a rivalry with the other half of the Congressional delegation.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

It wasn't respectful for his person. It was his seat, and Hanabusa was clearly the best candidate to fill this seat: US representative, Inouye's last wish,... I don't understand why we support Schatz just because he has successfully schemed with Rod Blagojevich Neil Abercrombie to be appointed US senator. People shouldn't do a successfully career because of their shenanigans.
Ugh, no, it was NOT Inouye's seat. He was elected to it. He is dead now. While I think Abercrombie would have been better off respecting Inouye's wishes as well, I think it is shameful that Hanabusa feels it is now "her" seat and her actions have shown she is more undeserving of it than Schatz. Anyway, the people will decide.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

The seat doesn't belong to Schatz either. God forbid he actually face ONE competitive election to prove himself before having the seat for life (the main election in a Hawaii Senate race is obviously the Democratic primary).

Schatz isn't any more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is. If he wins, then good. He earned it. But stop acting like Hanabusa shouldn't even run.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2013, 12:00:37 AM »

No real Governor lets a corpse force his hand.

Not even Jesus?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »

Especially not Jesus.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:21 AM »

The seat doesn't belong to Schatz either. God forbid he actually face ONE competitive election to prove himself before having the seat for life (the main election in a Hawaii Senate race is obviously the Democratic primary).

Schatz isn't any more entitled to the seat than Hanabusa is. If he wins, then good. He earned it. But stop acting like Hanabusa shouldn't even run.

I just don't see a good reason why she should run; she isn't running on policy, personality, or scandal, so what reason does she have for running? I hate to rehash this argument again, but honestly, what is she running on? "Leadership"? That's no reason to run. At least if she specifically pointed out that having an governor's appointee go unchallenged is bad, that'd be a reason (and a great reason at that).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »

If you believe that Jesus is in any position to tell you what to do, generally--I don't want to say universally, but generally--you also believe that He's very much alive.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2013, 01:50:45 AM »

If you believe that Jesus is in any position to tell you what to do, generally--I don't want to say universally, but generally--you also believe that He's very much alive.

Governor Jesus (D-NY)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »

The seat doesn't belong to Schatz either.

*funny error, though
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »

Good point.

(I'm still supporting Schatz for the seat though.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

Good point.

(I'm still supporting Schatz for the seat though.)
I never once said that Hanabusa should not run. I pointed out her arrogance and why it is dangerous for someone with that thinking to be in Washington.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2013, 09:02:55 PM »

For once (and probably the last time), I agree with Becca. Granted, I think Abercrombie should have respected Inouye's wishes, but Schatz isn't entitled to this seat just because he won the appointment. A competitive primary gives Hawaii Democrats, not a handful of individuals, the power, which is where it should have been all along.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2013, 11:48:16 PM »

I just don't see a good reason why she should run; she isn't running on policy, personality, or scandal, so what reason does she have for running? I hate to rehash this argument again, but honestly, what is she running on? "Leadership"? That's no reason to run. At least if she specifically pointed out that having an governor's appointee go unchallenged is bad, that'd be a reason (and a great reason at that).

I think she is, to an extent, running on personality.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:54 PM »

He looks like such a hoagie in this picture.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2013, 02:30:45 PM »

...he looks like a sandwich?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2013, 02:34:31 PM »

...he looks like a sandwich?

Color me puzzled too.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »

Politico has a piece on this race, but its mostly stuff we already know.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2013, 11:38:13 PM »

Wasn't Carol Moseley-Braun the last Dem who primaried an incumbent Senator and won the GE? I can't think of anyone more recent offhand.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2013, 10:02:32 AM »

Wasn't Carol Moseley-Braun the last Dem who primaried an incumbent Senator and won the GE? I can't think of anyone more recent offhand.

Well, are we counting Lee vs. Bennett as a "primary?"
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

Yeah, but they're not Dems. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »

Oh. Whoops. Missed that little tidbit.  Tongue
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »

Well, according to some far-right lunatics in Utah....
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

Not literally.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »

I still don't get it...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »

^^ This. Why should Abercrombie get to decide who is Senator for life from Hawaii? If Inouye doesn't have the right to decide his successor, neither does Abercrombie have the right to appoint someone for life. Schatz should be challenged and the people of Hawaii should get a choice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies