Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:03:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 389392 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

I had an idea for Lieutenant Governor.

If any current Assembly members are interested, they could resign their seat in the Assembly, their name could be presented to the Governor for appointment as the new LG, and a special Assembly election could be called to fill the Assembly vacancy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

Due to the extreme controversy surrounding the recent Speaker election for the Northeast Assembly, I hereby invalidate the previous Speaker election results, and call for a new Speaker election.  The elected Speaker refuses to take the office under these circumstances anyway.

I hereby call upon the Assembly to elect a Speaker, to be elected by ALL MEMBERS OF THE ASSEMBLY.

PLEASE ELECT A SPEAKER!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

OK.  

So, homelycooking, if you will not accept the office of Speaker under the circumstances, and it appears to me that you will not accept, please resign, and I will call for a new election for Speaker.

You, of course, are free to run for Speaker again if you so choose.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »

I wish to address the issue of the Write-In Voters Act.

There can be little doubt but what this bill was precipitated by my election as Lieutenant Governor and Representative, and of some others election as Representatives, as write in candidates in the most recent election.

I do agree with two previous statements on this issue, that being this bill is indeed restrictive.  I see no harm in write in candidates seeking election, simply by indicating their willingness to accept the office by voting for themselves as a write in candidate.  Why should they have to declare their intentions beforehand? 

To my knowledge, and correct me if I'm wrong, no other region has these restrictions.

Atlasia elections are meant to be as all encompassing as possible, and restricting them by disallowing straight write in candidates as now allowed, could lead to less interest in seeking office. 

I see no good reason for changing the current voting system and urge members of this Assembly to defeat this bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »

As an aside, if we want to discuss real electoral reform, I would recommend eliminating the 20 minute time frame in which one can change or nullify their vote.  Once a vote is cast, it should remain as is, with no option to change it.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

As an aside, if we want to discuss real electoral reform, I would recommend eliminating the 20 minute time frame in which one can change or nullify their vote.  Once a vote is cast, it should remain as is, with no option to change it.   

I could agree to that. But that's another matter for another debate.

Yes, I realize that.  That's why it is an aside.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »

What if nobody declares their intention to seek an office, e.g. Lieutenant Governor?

If nobody declares their intention either as a candidate on the ballot or that they will be a write in candidate, does that office simply have no candidate, and the office is vacant?

At least if there are no declared candidates or no candidates declaring they will be write in candidates, if general write ins are allowed, as under current law, that office would be filled.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2011, 10:09:14 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Nevertheless, no matter the spin put on this bill, it has a very major flaw, in that it could, potentially, leave an office or offices unfilled, as there is always the possibility that for a certain office or for certain offices, that no one will declare, therefore, leaving that office vacant, necessatating a special election, and special elections are something we want to avoid wherever possible.

And then the issue becomes, what if no one declares for the special election?  

Won't happen you say?  It is always a possibility, and this bill does not address this possibility.  

This bill simply falls short in addressing these issues, and, in my view, fails the democracy test.

Even in the real world, write ins are allowed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 01:09:42 AM »

Nay
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

Northeast Wiki Reform Act

1.  Responsibilities

a. 

I would like to recommend this to read as

a.  The Northeast Governor, or their designate

c.  Northeast Governor, or their designate
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »

Question..........

Just how bad of a shape is the Northeast Wiki in?

I am reading from some of the comments that it is way outdated. 

I am also reading that some of you, who will form the Commission, will get the Wiki updated, and from there it becomes the responsibility of the Governor to keep it updated, or, at least, the Governor can designate someone, or perhaps more than one, if they accept of course, to keep it updated.

Perhaps those interested in keeping the Wiki updated can do so on a rotating basis, under the direction of the Governor.  Just a suggestion.  This way, perhaps all interested can participate, and one individual is not doing everything for the Northeast on Wiki.     

So what I see this boiling down to is a joint collaboration between the Governor and legislators and or citizens of the Northeast, with the Governor being ultimately responsible.

This being the case, perhaps something like the above should be written into the bill.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »

I am pleased to advise the honorable members of the Northeast Assembly that Simfan 34 will become the new Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast.

We will be making an announcement from the Governor's office on Tuesday.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »

At this time, I would like to recommend Lieutenant Governor Simfan as a member of the Wiki  Commission.

I am very pleased that the Lieutenant Governor has agreed to serve on the commission and to share his abilities on this project.

Cincinnatus has already expressed his willingness to serve on the commission, for which I am greatful.

Therefore, we have to date two very capable individuals willing to work on the commission.

I will be willing to assist in this project in any way that I can.

So let's get this moving as quickly as possible.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

The bill needs lots of work if it's going to win my support. Section three is unnecessary, and it seems unconscionable to me that we should automatically grant all companies that don't outsource (a term not defined) a 15% tax deduction.

I don't think that the commission needs more than three members, but I would be willing to serve in Cincinnatus', Winfield's or Simfan's place should any of the three find themselves unable to work for the commission.

I would be pleased to have Simfan, Cincinnatus, and yourself, homelycooking, serve on the commission.  I guess Simfan and I will have to get wiki accounts.  I will not be on the commission, but I will have to have a wiki account as I will be responsible for updates, from what I understand.

Do we PM Dave to get accounts, or how does it work exactly?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are one and the nays are three. The bill is not agreed to.

Cincinnatus, Simfan, Winfield and homelycooking have been recommended to the Wiki Review Commission. If you are among these four, please notify your acceptance or rejection of your recommendation and, if you accept, become a member of the commission.

The Assembly will now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from Rhode Island, Governor Winfield.

The Northeast Region Voting Act

In all Northeast Region elections, the 20 minute rule whereby a voter can change their vote within 20 minutes of casting it shall be eliminated.  The original vote as cast by the voter shall be their only valid vote.

Debate will last 48 hours and begins now.

I believe it would be in the best interests of the Northeast for the three who have actually expressed a willingness already to serve on the commission, Simfan, homelycooking, and Cincinnatus, to comprise the commission.  Since the three of you have already expressed this interest, I will not be accepting a place on the commission.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 10:23:23 PM »

On the previous question the ayes are one and the nays are three. The bill is not agreed to.

Cincinnatus, Simfan, Winfield and homelycooking have been recommended to the Wiki Review Commission. If you are among these four, please notify your acceptance or rejection of your recommendation and, if you accept, become a member of the commission.

The Assembly will now consider the following bill, proposed by the gentleman from Rhode Island, Governor Winfield.

The Northeast Region Voting Act

In all Northeast Region elections, the 20 minute rule whereby a voter can change their vote within 20 minutes of casting it shall be eliminated.  The original vote as cast by the voter shall be their only valid vote.

Debate will last 48 hours and begins now.

This bill could be renamed

The Elimination Of The Twenty Minute Voting Rule Bill

or something along those lines.

I would urge support for this bill, as we have seen in the last federal election, this 20 minute time frame to change a vote leaves open the possibility of a voter being manipulated into changing, or even invalidating their vote due to being pressured by someone else.

Our own Senator Napoleon was the victim of this blatant pressure and manipulation in the last election.

One person, one vote, per election, is a fair way to vote.  This bill eliminates any possibility of a voter being manipulated or pressured in any way by someone else.

This bill personifies democracy in action.

This bill is fair and just and puts all voters on an equal footing in every election.

The will of the people must prevail, not the will of manipulators looking out for their own interests.

I urge the Assembly to get behind democracy and support this bill.

Thank you.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

I as well agree with homely's amendment.

Thank you for your well thought out amendment.

It does add more clarity to the bill.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »

Except, we're not a "normal democracy."  This is the Internet.

True, however, this is an internet simulation, and we try to simulate real life situations, in the case of Atlasy Fantasy Elections and Atlas Fantasy Governments, real life political situations.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2011, 07:24:44 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

What's with the name calling, Senator?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 12:11:23 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2011, 12:16:39 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Someone who's thinking enough about their vote to realize they want to change it is generally thinking far more than someone who merely copies and pastes from Bgwah's PM.

(Oh no, I just exposed this ridiculous, partisan effort for what it is!)

For the record, I have no idea who Bgwah is, have never received a PM from Bgwah, have never sent a PM to Bgwah. have never quoted Bgwah, have never been quoted by Bgwah (as far as I know), and am really not concerned with anything Bgwah has to say, although recognizing he has the right to say whatever he wants, as long as it is not against forum rules, the same right as any other forum members.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »

End to Alcohol Control Act

1. Businesses with liquor permits shall be allowed to sell liquor, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages to those 16 or older (with proper identification) until 2 AM on any day of the week.

2. Government-owned liquor stores shall be auctioned to the highest bidder.

3. Local governments may not restrict alcohol sales in conflict with this law.

I find this proposal to be much too lax and uncontrolled.  There is no way that 16 year olds should be permitted by law to purchase alcohol.  16 year olds are still in school.  The legal purchase of alcohol by those as young as 16 years of age is a recipe for disaster.  The minimum age for purchase of alcohol should be 18 years of age.

I therefore introduce an amendment to this bill stating that businesses with liquor permits shall be allowed to sell liquor, beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages to those 18 years of age and older, with proper identification..........   

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »

Under no circumstances will I support the sale of alcohol to anyone under the age of 18.  I agree with Nathan that age 21 would be even better, but if age 21 cannot be agreed to by the Assembly, then age 18 is, I believe, a reasonable compromise.

As to hours of opening, I would definitely not support hours of operation going beyond 2 AM.  In fact, I propose 2 AM for weekends, meaning Fridays and Saturdays, and 12 midnight Sunday to Thursday.

It seems to me as well that as we are the government of the Northeast Region that no state governments exist in this simulation, therefore, no state jurisdiction over liquor store operation exists in this case.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »

My amendments:

Change the legal age in the region to purchase alcohol from age 16 as proposed in the bill to age 18.

Change hours of operation of liquor stores in the region to 12 midnight for Sunday to Thursday and 2 AM for Friday and Saturday. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

It is the absolute height of irresponsibility by lawmakers to have no restrictions on the age to legally purchase alcohol in the Northeast Region.

I recognize the fact that lawmakers have no control over the age of those who consume alcohol, as minors can, clearly, in any jurisdiction, obtain alcohol through illegal means.  The laws governing possession and consumption of alcohol by minors is the subject for another debate.  However, the Northeast government can act responsibly and restrict the sale of alcohol to those age 18 and over only.  

Age 18 for the legal purchase of alcohol is a completely reasonable and fair compromise.

I ask Northeast lawmakers to act responsibly and support this amendment.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »

I agree that the age is a reasonable compromise but I'd like to see the operating hours remain as they were when introduced. Smiley

By the way, it is great to see all of you guys so engaged in this debate. We need more strong policy debates, even if it is something like alcohol laws that usually don't top people's priority lists.

I would hope to get majority support at least for my amendment to restrict the sale of alcohol only to those age 18 and over.  I believe this will be acting responsibly.  

If the majority decide to keep the hours of operation the same as in the original bill, then that is the way it is.  I believe the hours I have proposed are reasonable, however, one cannot always get everything they propose.  That is the nature of debate and compromise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies