Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:24:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime  (Read 1600 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »

Solid lawmaking.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »

"Why was I pulled over officer" = Hate crime if the cop decides he doesn't like your tone. (Whether that be the tone of your voice or the tone of your skin color)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »

I really want the "The Future of the Democratic Party is JBE" types to respond to this.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »

No it isn't. Take for instance someone who truly believes they are innocent, and they resist the people coming to put them in a cage. How is that a hate crime? It doesn't mean the person resisting hates the police, or has any prejudices or what have you towards them. It just means they don't want to go into a cage for no reason. Resisting arrest is probably one of the easiest charges for police to abuse, and I can't say I like it being made a hate crime with that in mind.

This is just a law made to pander to certain people. It's completely useless and possibly even harmful/counterproductive.

Well, I hate it.

I don't really think it should be charged as a hate crime necessarily, but I like the symbolism.

"This law is probably a bad idea, but it makes me feel good if I don't think about it!"
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »

What a great rationale. Let's apply this to other hate crime laws as a test. So if I punch a black guy, I guess that makes it a hate crime, regardless of intent.

That's usually how it works in this country anyway.
You really need to stop posting.  It's really making you look bad.

Green Line has dug himself into this hole multiple times, and will continue to do so every time we debate police ethics.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:16:54 PM »

I don't regret endorsing JBE because the other option was a lying adulterer, but I'll remember this for the future. I don't think I'll endorse him for reelection anymore.

So you'll endorse the Republican opponent who very likely would also support this law?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:36:04 PM »

It's kinda bad when the best defense of JBE is "Well maybe he didn't have the foresight to realize the law could be abused like this."
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:53:36 PM »

Given the deliberate targeting of police officers that's occurred lately, the hate crimes expansion was perfectly warranted. If you read the actual text of the bill, it specifically lists the crimes for which a hate crime can be added to the sentence, and resisting arrest is definitely not among them.

Yeah, not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of this. Edwards wouldn't have signed this law if it were that controversial.

Because that's how politics works! Nothing controversial is EVER signed.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »

Given the deliberate targeting of police officers that's occurred lately, the hate crimes expansion was perfectly warranted. If you read the actual text of the bill, it specifically lists the crimes for which a hate crime can be added to the sentence, and resisting arrest is definitely not among them.

And yet apparently open enough to interpretation that a police chief (who is intimately familiar with the new law) could expand the repertoire to include resisting arrest.

And, according to the same officer, has already done so.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:31 AM »

Come on guys. What kind of politician did you think Edwards was? This doesn't seem unusual at all. Considering I've always made certain assumptions about him, I'm not surprised and I don't even really hold it against him, even if I think the law itself is absurd. He has to pander too - Louisiana-style.

Oh it would be political suicide for JBE to veto this. I don't blame him at all. But stuff like this is why he isn't a 2020 contender and likely never will be, at least on the top of the ticket.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »

I guess the fact that nowhere in the actual legislation did it state resisting arrest could constitute a hate crime or that this was the opinion of one sheriff doesn't matter when everyone can enter into hysterics of how awful and impure JBE is.

Yes, this law is crap, JBE shouldn't have signed it, the legislation should've been more specific, and this will likely be brought to court to resolve an inevitable conflict. But that doesn't warrant this histrionic overreaction.
Basically, there are a lot of liberal Dems here who have been waiting since JBE took office to out him as a huge conservative. The JBE wing will probably leave Atlas Forum or switch parties if something like this happens again.

Oh nooooooo
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:57 AM »

I guess the fact that nowhere in the actual legislation did it state resisting arrest could constitute a hate crime or that this was the opinion of one sheriff doesn't matter when everyone can enter into hysterics of how awful and impure JBE is.

Yes, this law is crap, JBE shouldn't have signed it, the legislation should've been more specific, and this will likely be brought to court to resolve an inevitable conflict. But that doesn't warrant this histrionic overreaction.
Basically, there are a lot of liberal Dems here who have been waiting since JBE took office to out him as a huge conservative. The JBE wing will probably leave Atlas Forum or switch parties if something like this happens again.

Oh nooooooo

You don't have to be a dick. You know that, right?

Relax, I'm kidding. I'm not a purist, conservative Democrats have a necessary place in the party. But I really don't care who leaves the forum, especially for dumb reasons. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies