Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:40:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306374 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: January 30, 2009, 08:05:48 AM »

I'd like to protest the complete inability of this Senate to do things. You have a long to-do list, including possibly calling a Constitutional Convention, reshaping the government. Let's see some discussions and voting here.

Senators would much rather partake of the well-known pleasures of this city's red light district, following, as they do, in the fine example of that greatest of Senators, Naso.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #876 on: February 04, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

The Malay government is improving and is hardly Nazi Germany.  Free trade would encourage further governmental transparency and economic fairness within the country while going through the effort to give them the economic finger would have the opposite effect.

MEEEKER MEEKER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKER

There's nothing keeping you from posting in the thread of the bill itself.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #877 on: February 04, 2009, 02:10:06 AM »

I shall then.  I don't know how things work
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #878 on: February 04, 2009, 02:16:25 AM »

It's fine. Truth is, you can hang out in bill threads as much as you want. People only get angry if you try to vote on bills.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #879 on: February 04, 2009, 02:23:48 AM »

It's fine. Truth is, you can hang out in bill threads as much as you want. People only get angry if you try to vote on bills.

I might try that sometime, sounds like fun
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #880 on: February 04, 2009, 02:30:41 AM »

On the other hand, if you just quote posts they might get angry anyway. Input is always welcome though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #881 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »

No more Clogging?

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #882 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:41 PM »

Ilikeverin yelled at me before. Tried to shoo me!

Beware Lunar. He may come for you too.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #883 on: February 04, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »

*foams at mouth*
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #884 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:51 AM »

He was joking.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #885 on: February 05, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »

Nevermind, we need to clog before our clogging rights are taken away

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #886 on: February 05, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »

He was joking.

I know. So was I.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #887 on: February 06, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

He was joking.

Back in my day, such actions were not allowed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #888 on: February 15, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

So the President called for 4CC. What now?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #889 on: February 16, 2009, 03:48:16 AM »

ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #890 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:21 AM »

Due to recent drama in Atlasia, I would like a Senator to bring forward ethical reforms to prevent actions that are harmful to Atlasia, whether through manipulation or abuse of power.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #891 on: February 26, 2009, 12:09:15 PM »

Could you be more specific?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #892 on: February 26, 2009, 12:21:18 PM »

We need laws so that we can deal with Xahar and his intimidation of users. We need laws addressing slander, libel, and other false claims. We need laws outlining unethical standards for political office so that abuses of power are not allowed to go unpunished.

Without these Atlasia will keep deteriorating. We lose the trust of new members and the interest of current members when these issues are left unaddressed.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #893 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »

The Xahar Amendment
1. The user known as Xahar is banned from the Republic of Atlasia for life. Any future alias or account he may adopt is also banned.
2. If Xahar is found to have registered under another alias or account, then the President shall present evidence to the Senate, who may then strike the account from the voter rolls by ordinary legislation.
3. Any person banned under clause 2 of this Amendment, may appeal the facts of their case to the Supreme Court, whose decision on the matter shall be final.

Ethics laws are by their nature hard to draft, but if you want to bar Xahar permenantly, this is about the only legal way - Constitutional Amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #894 on: February 26, 2009, 02:00:06 PM »

The Xahar Amendment
1. The user known as Xahar is banned from the Republic of Atlasia for life. Any future alias or account he may adopt is also banned.
2. If Xahar is found to have registered under another alias or account, then the President shall present evidence to the Senate, who may then strike the account from the voter rolls by ordinary legislation.
3. Any person banned under clause 2 of this Amendment, may appeal the facts of their case to the Supreme Court, whose decision on the matter shall be final.

Ethics laws are by their nature hard to draft, but if you want to bar Xahar permenantly, this is about the only legal way - Constitutional Amendment.

I'll take that.

I guess other ethical standards are really up to the president to implement by executive order. What about libel laws? Are those allowed without an amendment?

EDIT: Oh, and welcome back Peter.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #895 on: February 26, 2009, 02:15:38 PM »

I've been busy, but watching. I suppose I ought to do the decent thing and resign from the mideast assembly given that I have no intention of continuing with the position.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #896 on: February 26, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »

I've been busy, but watching. I suppose I ought to do the decent thing and resign from the mideast assembly given that I have no intention of continuing with the position.

Eh, if you could just pop in with some votes every so often when you're watching that would be more respected than some other inactive user.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #897 on: February 26, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »

I'm incredibly opposed to that amendment. First, I don't think we should be amending our constitution to ban people from the game. Second, Xahar was already found guilty of a crime and sentenced to a punishment. Passing this amendment to punish him further for no additional proven crimes would go against the republican and liberal ideals of our constitution, is cruel and unusual punishment, and is something very close to double jeopardy (it probably has a real name, but I'm not a lawyer).
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #898 on: February 26, 2009, 03:45:41 PM »

I'm incredibly opposed to that amendment. First, I don't think we should be amending our constitution to ban people from the game. Second, Xahar was already found guilty of a crime and sentenced to a punishment. Passing this amendment to punish him further for no additional proven crimes would go against the republican and liberal ideals of our constitution, is cruel and unusual punishment, and is something very close to double jeopardy (it probably has a real name, but I'm not a lawyer).
Without question it is a bill of attainder - it would undoubtedly be struck down if passed as a statute. We're going down a constitutional road to avoid any legal conflict with the bill of rights (though certainly it has a philosophical conflict). It would appear that he has been committing further crimes, however, it is also apparent that we could not try him as he will be unable to mount a defence (being banned!), therefore a trial is at this point inappropriate. Given that a trial probably won't be able to start in time to satisfy our speedy trial laws, we only have a constitutional option.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #899 on: February 26, 2009, 03:53:31 PM »

I think a reasonable case could be made in court once he returns.

I'm kind of reluctant to support the amendment here....it doesn't seem appropriate in a democratic game.

On the other hand, it does seem it would protect Atlasia, regardless of principle.

Still...wouldn't it make more sense to try him in court once he gets back?

Apparently, there is some proof concerning Marokai Blue's account. I have not seen any proof yet, but it seems quite probable. We could always give him the maximum penalty for that, and that'd get rid of the problem for a while at least.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies