The 2020 Index- Edition #1 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:46:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The 2020 Index- Edition #1 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 2020 Index- Edition #1  (Read 872 times)
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« on: October 17, 2018, 06:25:59 PM »

The 2020 Index will be the power rankings of the potential 2020 Democratic candidates for President. I will try to post these regularly about every week as we start heading down the home stretch for the midterms and the beginning stretch for the primaries. I will also only be doing Democrats for the time being with possibly the GOP and maybe third parties soon as we get into 2019. So let's begin.

1. Elizabeth Warren- Warren is the first real presidential candidate to basically run, but not let officially run. With most presidential candidates (minus the current president) releasing their tax returns, Warren has already released 10 years of tax returns, plus the now infamous DNA test to punch back at the President over being a Native American (which has somewhat backfired). She also has national name-recognition and is a part of the rapidly expanding progressive wing of the party, but if Bernie runs, some of that air will be sucked out.

2. Joe Biden- Joe Biden, the Vice President to President Obama, is by and far the current frontrunner to the Democratic primaries. Some of this is easily related to riding off of Obama's coattails. However, numbers do not lie and right now Biden is the leader. He led by 20 points over nearest contender Bernie Sanders in the poll released by CNN over the weekend. His problem, he will be seen as part of the old guard that progressives have wanted to throw out. However, if he plays his cards right, he could just be the unifier the Democratic Party to beat Trump in the fall of 2020.

3. Cory Booker- The Senator from New Jersey has been campaigning up and down the country the most so far this fall, and has gained notoriety from the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings (the Spartacus moment). He gave a great speech in front of Iowa Democrats last weekend and is supporting the progressives in the midterms. Watch this space for a progressive-moderate hybrid with the whole "Obama 2.0" image faded away.

4. Kamala Harris- This freshman Senator from California could just the next freshman Senator the Democrats give the nod to (the last one was President Obama). Harris will try to become the candidate who can sweep the South the way HRC did with Bernie in 2016. Her progressive ideology should also give her a chance in states in the Midwest, plus it helps to be a political star in the state with the most delegates. 

5. Bernie Sanders- This period between the presidential election of 2016 and the midterms has been cruel to Bernie. He has seen his progressive stardom somewhat fade, his PAC "Our Revolution" has failed to get candidates past the primaries without the help of other progressive groups (Justice Democrats, DSA), and has not had the opportunity to have a big moment in the national spotlight. But, he still polls in double-digits for now.

And now for the rest...
6- Kirsten Gillibrand
7- Steve Bullock
8- Amy Klobuchar
9- Michael Bloomberg
10- Michael Avenatti
11- Eric Holder
12- Pete Buttigieg
13- Eric Garcetti

See you next time on the 2020 Index!!!
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 09:51:35 PM »

Most people didn't/dont care about the DNA either thing either way. There's only a perception that it "backfired" because the media hates her even more than they hate Trump and spun the entire thing in his favor and against her. Very similar to Hillary, who objectively got far more negative coverage than Trump despite the media supposedly being "in the tank for Dems." Also notice all the white male anti-Hillary false equivalency journalists that got outed as sex criminals like Mark Halperin and Matt Lauer. Sexism in the media is pervasive.

I'm not going to say Warren can't win, but if she does, she's going to have to do it while the media tries their absolute hardest to destroy her. It's not impossible, after all Hillary would've accomplished it if not for Comey's last minute interference. But I'm certainly not very comfortable with the idea, nor am I confident about it.

So then, are you hoping that the Dems nominate a man for president in 2020, because the country's sexism makes it that much harder for women to win, and beating Trump should be the priority?  Or are you going to pull for whoever you like the best regardless of gender, or what?

Good question. I'm going to end up weighing many factors in my vote, electability being a major one. However, the media doesn't seem to hate all women. For instance, they don't seem to hate Harris and Gillibrand (at least not to the insane level they hated Hillary.) I'm guessing because they're young, feminine, and attractive. Their hatred is more directed toward older forceful "shrill" women like Hillary and Warren.

Give them time.  They will hate everyone running on the Democratic side or one reason or another except, inexplicably, Joe Biden.

Maybe. But it was already very apparent by this time 4 years ago (even before the email story broke!) that the media was going to try their absolute hardest to destroy Hillary. In fact, me and Beet even had a discussion about it back in 2014! Talk about deja vu. Tongue

The media was destroying Hillary? Let's talk about the media that went 15 rounds on President Trump,  leaving no stone unturned, while Hillary was given a free pass on her entire campaign.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies