A libertarian paradox? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:39:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A libertarian paradox? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A libertarian paradox?  (Read 7763 times)
crat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.74, S: -7.30

« on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:21 AM »

How much power should the government have to prevent people from infringing on other people's rights?

The minimum necessary amount.  This is sticky for a lot of reasons, a big one of which is a wide interpretation of "rights."

Assume for a moment that entities other than governments (people, corporations) can infringe on the rights of others.  That may be hard for some who follow libertarianism as a religious dogma rather than a philosophy (and who, I would argue, are actually somewhat authoritarian in their worldview).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nope.  Slavery in this country has been legally abolished, and people are not property.  As long as the two parties can contractually agree, what's the problem with indentured servitude?  Isn't this pretty much the idea behind the Peace Corps or Americorps?

What, like HOA's?  Precedence above the law of the land?  I think they'd have to secede, like Petoria.

The Patriot Act basically does this to citizens whom never signed the agreement.   And the employee - Locked up by who, his employer, to be tried by the corporation's court system?  Or are you saying that the position that the government is to honor private contracts would allow them to do whatever they want to a person who signs their life away to an employer, taken that far?

No one has the right to someone else's labor, contractual servitude isn't coerced, sound like you're talking about slavery. 

Seriously, I didn't set out to answer with more questions, it just ended up that way. 

While there are some nutty folk out there claiming to be Libertarians, they're more anarchists in my opinion.  I can't even say I'm 100% Libertarian, but of any political stigma, I align with it more than not.
crat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.74, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »

I know I'm new here, but a lot of this seems like watching a bunch of little boys play cops & robbers...

"I got you, you're dead!" 
"Nuh-uh, you missed!"

Maybe I'll just lurk just outside the fray and avoid any stray bullets, occasionally lobbing a grenade and running away like the little brother you guys didn't want to bring along to play anyway.

*PEW-PEW*
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies