Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:02:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307289 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: October 10, 2006, 05:20:49 PM »

I am going to have to object to section 1 of the Military Modernization and Readiness Bill.  The reason the first four Ohios were converted from SSBN's to SSGN's was because the arms controls treaties we've signed limit us to 14 SSBN's, so we had the choice of either retiring the vessels or modifying them to the SSGN configuration.  The next four Ohios (SSBN-730 to SSBN-733) have just recently completed an upgrade that included replacing the C-4 Trident I missiles with the same D-5 Trident II missiles that were in the remaining 10 Ohio-class subs (SSBN-734 to SSBN-743).  Altering any further SSBN-726's to the SSGN-726 configuration only makes sense if we are going to further reduce the size of our submarine launched ballistic missile force, and absent a new arms control treaty with the Russians, that is not something I could support.

You are more than welcome to raise your concerns in the actual Senate debate, Governor

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #351 on: October 23, 2006, 06:22:15 PM »

I'm pre-filing these four bills for the Sixteenth Senate.  The fourth is primarily intended for fun, as I'm not serious about it, but it certainly should provide for a few sparks and sputters of righteous indignation.

I won't be adding them to the agenda for the Fifteenth Senate then

'Hawk'
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: October 24, 2006, 03:34:47 PM »

Draka Illegal Immigration and Labor Act

(...) §3. New slaves
   (a) To insure that permanent indentured servants are easily identifiable, new permanent indentured servants shall have an RFID chip implanted in their body.
   (b) To insure that no children are born to permanent indentured servants, new permanent indentured servants shall be surgically sterilized.
   (c) Contracts for new permanent indentured servants shall be disposed of in the same manner as surplus property under subtitle I of title 40 of the United States Code.

§4. Servant Code
   The Secretary of Labor shall within 180 days of the passage of this Act promulgate a Servant Code.  Such Code shall specify -
      (1) minimum standards of food, shelter, clothing, and working conditions a contractor must provide a servant,
      (2) the maximum level of discipline that a contractor may use to punish a servant that fails to obey,
      (3) penalties, consistent with penalties imposed for similar offenses under title 18 of the United States Code, for violations of the Servant Code, whether by a contractor, a servant, or a third party, and
      (4) such other rules and regulations as the Secretary determines are needful for an effective system of servant management.

You're hilarious, Ernest.  Tongue
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2006, 03:58:58 PM by Senator Brandon W »

Might as well introduce this before I leave office since I supported it in the first place.

Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

Although I would normally support this, I can already see with the liberal economic stances of many of the new Senators and president, that they will end up passing some ridiculously high minimum wage which will shoot inflation through the roof and burden Atlasia's small businesses.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #354 on: October 28, 2006, 04:02:40 PM »

Might as well introduce this before I leave office since I supported it in the first place.

Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage

The Senate shall have power to set a minimum wage, as it deems necessary throughout the Republic of Atlasia.

Although I would normally support this, I can already see with the liberal economic stances of many of the new Senators and president, that they will end up passing some ridiculously high minimum wage which will shoot inflation through the roof and burden Atlasia's small businesses.

I remember the debate about this last time round. I was vociferously opposed to what I perceived as being an 'anti region' bill. I will personally oppose (and organise opposition to) it again.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2006, 08:31:17 PM »

That's just fine, Alfleitch... Al and I will come out in strong support of a minimum wage.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #356 on: October 30, 2006, 07:41:39 AM »

For Senators' information, this is the Bill that the President had proposed in event of the Amendment to Allow the Senate to Set a Minimum Wage, which of course failed first time around:

Fair Minimum Wage Bill

Section 1: Nationwide Minimum Wage Standard
1. The minimum wage shall be set at $7.40 hourly for all persons aged 18 and above.
2. The minimum wage shall be set at $5.75 hourly for all persons aged 15 through 17.
3. Regions are permitted to pass a higher regional minimum wage than the national standard, should they so desire.  Regional laws with lower wages than defined in Clauses 1 and 2 will be overridden by this law.

Section 2: CPI Indexing
2. The nationwide minimum wage shall be indexed annually to the Consumer Pricing Index (CPI).

Personally, I support a federal minimum wage. The fact that Atlasia does not have one is just vindicative of how unprogressive we are in this respect

However, I would not support the above Bill. In fact, I favor abolishing the age differential and supporting a federal minimum wage at around $7.00 for all. I feel the age differential as it stands would work against the interests of working families in that you'd likely have employers employing those aged between 15 to 17 at the expence of those aged 18 or over, who are likely to have more responsibilities (i.e. dependents)

Of course, the Senate did once pass the Fair Wage Act but that was ruled unconstitutional in Bono vs Atlasia II

'Hawk'
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #357 on: November 20, 2006, 06:04:38 PM »

Could someone write a bill that stops the automatic purging of voters from the electoral roll?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2006, 07:17:47 PM »

Given the serious deadlines involved, and the sense that the re-districting process may not be completed in time, I would urge that Senator Ernest's bill be brought to the floor by whatever means necessary.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #359 on: December 03, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »

Could someone introduce a bill returning full funding to the Appalachian Regional Commision?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2006, 01:11:50 PM »

Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voter Rules

Article V, Section 2, Clause 6 of the Atlasian Constitution is amended to read as follows:

Any registered voter who fails to vote in elections for four months shall have his registration no longer considered valid. This clause shall not be construed to deny a forum user the right to register anew.

The second proposed amendment is an alternative to Hawk's proposal which scraps clause 6 completely.  My version will eliminate only the part that concerns newly registered voters.

I pretty sure that could be considered as an amendment to my Amendment once it reaches the floor of the Senate

'Hawk'
Bdub
Brandon W
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2006, 01:19:23 PM »

Article V, Section 2, Clause 6 of the Atlasian Constitution is amended to read as follows:

Any registered voter who fails to vote in elections for four months shall have his registration no longer considered valid. This clause shall not be construed to deny a forum user the right to register anew.

The second proposed amendment is an alternative to Hawk's proposal which scraps clause 6 completely.  My version will eliminate only the part that concerns newly registered voters.

I pretty sure that could be considered as an amendment to my Amendment once it reaches the floor of the Senate

'Hawk'
Good idea.  I shall withdraw that amendment.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2006, 01:29:03 PM »

'Hawk'
Good idea.  I shall withdraw that amendment.

Thanks. I've had a little time to think since I echoed my sentiments on this during the debate on the Federal Activity Requirements Revision Bill and I'm open to compromise in order to for some 'reforming' Amendment to be considered

'Hawk'
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »

Atlasia Revitilization Committee Report Resolution

The Senate of Atlasia requests that the Atlasia Revitilization Committee (established under F.L. 15-3 Atlasia Revitilization Act), through a nominated representative, will deliver to the Senate a report of it's progress to date, any findings or reccomendations it has agreed so far, or any other matters which it deems worthy of the Senate's consideration, on or by the 29th of December 2006, three months after the committee's establishment.

Senator Smiley,

I feel that the Atlasian Revitalization Committee doesn't have that much to report. And the one thing I suggested, my Constitutional Amendment on Voter Registration and Voting Rules is currently under consideration by the Senate, while Senator Ernest introduced his Federal Activity Requirements Revision Bill

The President has submitted his reform plan. A number of prominant Atlasians, Senator Colin Wixted, Associate Justice Afleitch and True Democrat, worked with him on that. It is currently being discussed and put together by Senator Ernest in the form of Constitutional Amendments, while True Democrat has drafted a new Constitution

Given that Atlasia now seems, thanks to the dedication Smiley of all involved in the President's plan, is now on the right track as far as structural government reform goes, I think it better the Senate focus on that rather than track back to the Atlasian Revitalization Committee as much as what was suggested as already been proposed

I'm happy to to allow it time of the floor, but I don't see the need. And once its on the floor, I'll just repeat this statement

Dave 'Hawk'
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »

I fear that the session will end before my confirmation hearing does.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:41 PM »

I fear that the session will end before my confirmation hearing does.

Well, it looks like I'll have to give the Senate a kick up the arse then Smiley. And I will if there isn't enough votes one way or the other in the morning. The same goes for Al's confirmation as Game Moderator

Of course, they do have up to 5 days to vote Tongue

'Hawk'

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »

On the Atlasia Revitilisation Committee, I am willing to withdraw the resolution should the current reform package pass (which I presume would render the committee redundant) or should the committee disband before the resolution reaches the floor.

You make fair points Dave, but should neither or the aforesaid events happen, I would like to see a progress report of the committee for it's first three months. Trouble was taken to set the thing up, to find members and so forth. It would be nice to see some fruits of the labour, or at least some level of accountability.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2006, 07:52:49 PM »

How many days are left in the session?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2006, 09:46:29 PM »

How many days are left in the session?
14 days, 14 hours, and 14 minutes until noon Friday January 4.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: January 05, 2007, 04:20:19 AM »

Comprehensive Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the following countries: Singapore, Morocco, Bahrain, Thailand, Oman, India, Malaysia, and Jordan.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.
3. The following legislation is repealed: Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Act, Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Act, Atlasian-Bahrain Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Oman Free Trade Act, Atlasia-India Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Act, and Atlasia-Jordan Free Trade Act.

I was kind of expecting this. Still, if you desire unconditional free trade with countries where political conditions are not up to scratch and where basic human rights are either widely abused or tenuous, at best, then so be it. Just because I take a moral approach to free trade with such nations, I can hardly expect you to

Progressives like yourself should be firmly aligned to the Hawk Doctrine, which views free trade as a means of encouraging such progressive values as liberal democracy, freedom and civil rights

'Hawk'
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2007, 06:41:10 AM »

Comprehensive Free Trade Bill

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia and the following countries: Singapore, Morocco, Bahrain, Thailand, Oman, India, Malaysia, and Jordan.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.
3. The following legislation is repealed: Atlasian-Singapore Free Trade Act, Atlasian-Morocco Free Trade Act, Atlasian-Bahrain Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Thailand Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Oman Free Trade Act, Atlasia-India Free Trade Act, Atlasia-Malaysia Free Trade Act, and Atlasia-Jordan Free Trade Act.

I was kind of expecting this. Still, if you desire unconditional free trade with countries where political conditions are not up to scratch and where basic human rights are either widely abused or tenuous, at best, then so be it. Just because I take a moral approach to free trade with such nations, I can hardly expect you to

Progressives like yourself should be firmly aligned to the Hawk Doctrine, which views free trade as a means of encouraging such progressive values as liberal democracy, freedom and civil rights

'Hawk'

I support the view of senator Hawk. From an SOEA's point of view, this bill is simply miserable. As my ideologiocal points wont make a difference, Ill simply go with the SOEA ones.

1.This is a reputation killer, through and through.By passing this, we are saying to all of our civil friends across the globe, "We do not wish to be a part of your class. We before moralless Third Worldism in the name of cheap funds." I dont think I need to spell out the kind of diplomatic power I would lose over this.

2.Due to 1, this will lessen our odds of landing major contracts with the nations that already are unsure if us. Many left leaning South American countries may quite trade all togather, with some of the even more powerful coming later with towering tarrifs or worse.

3. Due to 2, we'll probably end up losing all we gain, meaning there will be no economic profit for major moral loss.

Sounds like a flawed equation in the eyes of the SOEA. I urge all senators to send this bill right back from where it came: The trashbin.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #371 on: January 05, 2007, 08:03:38 AM »

May I just say a word of thanks to Dave Hawk for all his work as PPT. I, and I'm sure my Senate colleagues from the 14th and 15th Senates, appreciate the considerable efforts you made in that role. Well done and best of luck with the future. Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

May I just say a word of thanks to Dave Hawk for all his work as PPT. I, and I'm sure my Senate colleagues from the 14th and 15th Senates, appreciate the considerable efforts you made in that role. Well done and best of luck with the future. Smiley

May I thank the Senator for his kind words Smiley. As for the future, lets just say I'm looking forward to a quiet life for a while Wink

Dave 'Hawk'
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »

Sounds like a flawed equation in the eyes of the SOEA.

That's only because you are ideologically opposed to it.  On the contrary of what you claim, Atlasia continuously gets flack from the international community for putting various pet interests above free trade.  Countries do not appreciate being given conditional free trade agreements that come with a threat to be reconsidered at any time.  This will alleviate that diplomatic nightmare and make your job easier because countries won't be asking you anymore why the Philippines didn't get the Hawk Treatment while Bahrain did.

We may discuss this more on the floor.  For now, I'm only disappointed that of all the bills that could have generated some sort of controversy, it had to be this one.  Abolishing Christmas is about fifty times more interesting than free trade.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »

Sounds like a flawed equation in the eyes of the SOEA.

That's only because you are ideologically opposed to it.  On the contrary of what you claim, Atlasia continuously gets flack from the international community for putting various pet interests above free trade.  Countries do not appreciate being given conditional free trade agreements that come with a threat to be reconsidered at any time.  This will alleviate that diplomatic nightmare and make your job easier because countries won't be asking you anymore why the Philippines didn't get the Hawk Treatment while Bahrain did.

We may discuss this more on the floor.  For now, I'm only disappointed that of all the bills that could have generated some sort of controversy, it had to be this one.  Abolishing Christmas is about fifty times more interesting than free trade.
Thats a great rebuttal of none points.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies