Trump: “We may have to go for an extra term." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:11:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: “We may have to go for an extra term." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: “We may have to go for an extra term."  (Read 2125 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: September 10, 2019, 09:43:55 PM »

He's been saying this nearly as long as he's been in office. "lol he's joking lol"

No, he isn't. He's completely serious.

Yep. I've seen him try to joke about terms beyond the constitutional two, and there was not even a hint of joking here. It was a totally serious, "Maybe I'll be a geriatric dictator, maybe I won't, but who cares about the Constitution" moment.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »

This is why I think the possibility of Trump suspending the Constitution and/or dissolving Congress isn't very far fetched.

Nothing is far fetched with him.

That's why I find it incredible when people laugh at the notion he may not willingly leave office should he lose.

There is no "leaving office" upon losing, though. The outgoing President doesn't "hand over" anything to his successor. The ceremony is a formality, the presence of the outgoing President a courtesy. Once the electoral votes are official (and there is little the GOP can do to that process as long as the Democrats control either the Senate or House) the rest is just time passing. At noon on January 20th, the President-elect legally becomes the President, and the former President is a regular citizen, with no more authority than you or me, no matter what he (or she) might claim.

Mr. Trump can refuse to move out of the White House, and he can try to issue orders but that is not "refusing to leave" it is staging a coup. Might Mr. Trump and his immediate supporters try to stage a coup? I find it possible they'd  considerate it, but they really are a pack of incompetent morons, so I doubt it would go well. If the entire Republican leadership rebels against the Constitution and tries a coup to seize power (something that is extremely believable, as they are doing so presently), I think the big determining factor is how the Democratic leadership responds... which is the thing that worries me most about possible futures. 

Democrats, and establishment figures in general, are very reluctant to point out that the emperor is a naked moron leading a cult that is the 21st American equivalent to the Nazis. They continue to normalize the GOP, even when the Republicans and their orange leader are so far out of the ballpark that the captain on the cruise ship is assigning them rooms as they sail over the horizon. If the Republicans (or Mr. Trump and his crime family) attempt a coup, the President needs to immediately treat it as the treason it is and instruct their lawful subordinates to deal with it as swiftly as possible, using whatever force is necessary (subject to the laws of the United States and Geneva Conventions).  Afterward, the perpetrators need to feel the full weight of the law - very long prison terms if possible.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 07:35:38 AM »

Absolutely disgusting. Impeach the motherf___er or 25th amendment NOW.

Mr. Trump is just saying he would prefer to leave office in a casket, rather than a golf cart.

We should not give him his wish. He should leave in a back of a police car, headed for life-long incarceration.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:36:06 AM »

Will Trump immediately call into question the legitimacy of the election? Almost certainly.

Will Trump directly accuse the democrats of organized voter fraud? Almost certainly.

Will Trump refuse to acknowledge that he lost? Almost certainly.

Will Trump blame the fake news media? Absolutely 100%.

Will Trump cal his democratic opponent a criminal? Probably.

Will Trump look for ways to try to stay in office, like for instance call for a re-election due to the "massive voter fraud" that "people" are talking about? Probably.

Will Trump actually have the guts to try to stage a coup for real? For really real? I seriously doubt it. He's a poser, a conman, a phony - not a revolutionary.

You're forgetting something. Unless a newly-elected Democratic President is willing to immediately flush his re-election down the toilet, Mr. Trump losing means he's probably going to jail for the rest of his life. Scavengers and thieves can get vicious when cornered.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:22:02 AM »

How is this thread still going?

He's having fun and fishing for validation from the crowd.

There is zero kelvin chance of him having a 3rd term.   The 22nd Amendment is absolutely clear on this; there's no wiggle room to find an alternate interpretation that would allow him to do it. And there's no mechanism he could do it extralegally.

The Foreign and Domestic Emoluments Clauses are absolutely clear too, but that hasn't stopped Trump from ignoring them, or motivated his party to impeach him for doing so.

A government that has repeatedly ignored Congressional subpoenas should not be expected to have any difficulty convincing itself that the 22nd Amendment doesn't apply for some reason. ("It's a national emergency. The 25th Amendment supersedes the 22nd. Congress can always impeach him if they think its unconstitutional. He's under audit so it doesn't apply.")
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies