Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:43:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall  (Read 2167 times)
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« on: December 12, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. The popular vote is irrelevant. Most of Hillary's PV margin came from Los Angeles County, much of which is, and I'm sure millions of Americans would agree, hardly representative of our country at large. Take away L.A. and suddenly the popular vote is pretty much tied. But again to my original point, the popular vote is irrelevant.

2. The 2018 Midterms were not a "blow out". DeWine won the Gov of OH, DeSantis saved us from Andrew Gillum. Reynolds held on in Iowa, and Brian Kemp gave Stacey Abrams the boot. As far as the Senate, we swept out four incumbent Democrats and held two open seats. Yes we lost 40 seats in the House, but if you compare this to Obama's first midterm, that was far and away worse. The Dems lost 63 seats, and lost 5 Senate seats in 2010. This year the GOP lost 40 seats and gained 2 seats in the Senate. By any stretch, this year was better for Republicans than 2010 was for Democrats. Period. It might not have been a fantastic night, but it was much better for the GOP than it could have been.

As far as President Trump, as of the last two days he is hovering anywhere between 42% and 50% depending on what poll you look at, the same polls that consistently underestimate the strength of the GOP. Not to mention the huge anti-Trump vote margins on the two coasts rack up big negatives for him nationwide.

Did I say anything that is false?
You say that, but you failed to mention any victories in the three states that matter: Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. If he can't win those it's over and the fact that Democrats won all the key races in those states and the house popular vote is a bad sign for Trump. Those are the three states he has to win and right now they don't look very favorable for him. The house popular vote in all three states was D+10.16 in Pennsylvania, D+7.68 in Michigan and D+7.59 in Wisconsin.

I know midterms aren't the best indicators of Presidential elections. However, I will say this time is different because turnout (50%) was close to a Presidential year unlike 2010 and 2014. Trump can win Ohio, North Carolina, Florida and it won't matter if he loses those three Midwest states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies