End of 2017: Is Trump favored to be re-elected? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:09:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  End of 2017: Is Trump favored to be re-elected? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: End of 2017: Is Trump favored to be re-elected?
Trump is favored to be re-elected

Trump is more likely to lose re-election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: End of 2017: Is Trump favored to be re-elected?  (Read 3079 times)
twenty42
United States

« on: January 01, 2018, 01:58:30 AM »

Here is something everybody seems to forget...Trump had a 38.7% approval rating on Election Day, and he won 306 EV’s. Obviously his EC spread was extremely efficient, but he still outperformed his approval rating by 7.4% in the PV.

I think this is where the left (and a lot of the right) totally underestimates Trump. He has an uncanny ability to earn the votes of people who don’t like him personally. He isn’t a typical presidential candidate inasmuch as needing a ~50% approval rating to win an election. There are a whole lot of voters, especially in the Rust Belt, who have no compunction about voting for Trump even though they think he is an a$$hole.

If I were a Democrat, I’d be very concerned if Trump’s approval rating is anywhere above 40% come 2020. And if it is hovering around 50% like a previous poster predicted it could be, I’d brace for a 1988/2008 style victory.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:27 AM »

Here is something everybody seems to forget...Trump had a 38.7% approval rating on Election Day, and he won 306 EV’s. Obviously his EC spread was extremely efficient, but he still outperformed his approval rating by 7.4% in the PV.

I think this is where the left (and a lot of the right) totally underestimates Trump. He has an uncanny ability to earn the votes of people who don’t like him personally. He isn’t a typical presidential candidate inasmuch as needing a ~50% approval rating to win an election. There are a whole lot of voters, especially in the Rust Belt, who have no compunction about voting for Trump even though they think he is an a$$hole.

If I were a Democrat, I’d be very concerned if Trump’s approval rating is anywhere above 40% come 2020. And if it is hovering around 50% like a previous poster predicted it could be, I’d brace for a 1988/2008 style victory.
This comment is ridiculous. He won with terrible approval ratings because his opponent was only slightly less unpopular than him - and, crucially, Clinton was viewed as even less trustworthy than Trump. If the Democratic nominee in 2020 is even modestly popular, Trump is in big trouble.

And where is the evidence that Dems have a “modestly popular” candidate to nominate in 2020? And doesn’t it concern you that the two front-runners for the nomination will be close to 80 on Election Day?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies