No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:26:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Southerners in Obama's Cabinet  (Read 24924 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: December 15, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »

I don't agree with the idea of picking cabinet posts based on region (though political reality means that a little bit of it is always a good idea), but the glee in this thread is seriously misplaced and/or potentially dangerous.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »

but the glee in this thread is seriously misplaced and/or potentially dangerous.

On behalf of the commonwealth of Massachusetts, "cry me a river."

Ah, but you miss the point in the most ironic way possible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »

And again, I remind people that Obama's top national security adviser is James Jones, a Missourian - that person holds a higher position in his administration than much of his cabinet.

AND THIS IS THE GUY WHO'S CURRENTLY FAVORED TO BE HIS SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE

Sanford Dixon Bishop Jr

Hell, his middle name almost sounds like "dixie" and he's from Georgia.

Hmm. That could be a tricky by-election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »

There's only a point if you think that this is a real issue or a deliberate choice by Obama.

I'm so uninterested in the story here that I've not even read the article. My comments were, really, based off reactions to it. Which have gotten progressively more and more extreme.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think so. If the attitudes expressed here are even slightly reflective of wider attitudes in the real world, then, yes, they are "potentially dangerous". And in exactly the same way that all that "real America" nonsense was.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »

Speaking as a lifelong resident of the north, in my experience, most of the North doesn't care about the South.

I'm not even really thinking of the regional divide as such, more the general attitude shown in this thread towards areas (this is the amazing thing I think) that vote in the "wrong" way. It's the sort of divisive madness that makes even less sense in America, with it's lumbering-yet-porous catch-all parties, than the rest of the World. And, yes, we're only talking kids and activists here in this thread, but the kids will grow up and the activists may well influence (not individually, of course) wider perceptions of their party. And it isn't as though the obvious immaturity of that way of thinking has prevented the Republicans from playing at it over the past few years, to their great cost. Attitudes like this are both poisonous and addictive.

Yes, I might be reading a little too much into spiteful comments on the interwebs. But I don't think that pointing out that something is wrong, foolish and hypocritical is a bad thing.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People here have not been insulting the dominating political class of the South, except when their insults have been so broad as to make it impossible to miss them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:19:55 PM »

It's rapidly turning into a sort of Carnival of Trolls...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies