SENATE BILL: The Question Time Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:52:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Question Time Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Question Time Act (Tabled)  (Read 2786 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2011, 07:06:36 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: NC Yankee for the SoIA
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »

This seems pointless.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

They have office threads for this, starting a new thread to question isn't needed in my opinion.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

Didn't we already try this?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »

Motion to table
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:36:16 PM »

Yeah, this doesn't seem very necessary to me. Every week? And closed after 48 hours? Questioning can easily take more than 48 hours. It seems like just having a permanent question thread (or simply using the SoIA's office thread) would work better.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »

Judging from your reaction when Antonio tried to table your "End to Imperialism Act" right off the bat, I'm surprised you're now trying to table this legislation before Barnes or anyone is even able to make an argument for it.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »

Judging from your reaction when Antonio tried to table your "End to Imperialism Act" right off the bat, I'm surprised you're now trying to table this legislation before Barnes or anyone is even able to make an argument for it.

seeing as Barnes hasn't been around lately, maybe you know someone who'd offer an argument on his behalf?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »

seeing as Barnes hasn't been around lately, maybe you know someone who'd offer an argument on his behalf?
I'm actually contacting Barnes through Facebook as we speak. Hopefully he gives me a response regarding his absence, and he can return to his duties soon.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »

Read the comments from actual Senators to see how we feel. Look at the bills in the queues that are more important. Look at Barnes' disappearance.

Antonio's motion to table was soundly defeated because it was unwarranted. His argument was so mature and well-developed that it consisted of "LOL". Please stop being such a troll, Ambassador. You know damn well this motion I to table is appropriate.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »

Read the comments from actual Senators to see how we feel. Look at the bills in the queues that are more important. Look at Barnes' disappearance.

Antonio's motion to table was soundly defeated because it was unwarranted. His argument was so mature and well-developed that it consisted of "LOL". Please stop being such a troll, Ambassador. You know damn well this motion I to table is appropriate.
Actually, I don't think this motion to table is appropriate, and it's starting to bug me how you feel the need to attack anyone who disagrees with you, this time by calling me a troll. Just like you wanted a chance to lay out your reasoning's for the "End to Imperialism Act", I think Barnes should at least be given a day or two's chance to lay out his reasoning's as well before this is tabled and thrown out.

Antonio may have displayed his feelings in a less mature way, but both of you are the same in that you were trying to table something without even letting the sponsor give his reasoning's, which I disagree with.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2011, 05:50:20 PM by Senator Napoleon »

The "sponsor" has neglected this game and isn't able to vote on bills. Doing all you can to try and get me in a corner is trolling. End of story. You have made it all too obvious that you feel the need to bring me down to your level.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:52:44 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2011, 05:54:47 PM by Tmthforu94 »

The "sponsor" has neglected this game and isn't able to vote on bills.
Fair point on the first part, but I've contacted him and hopefully he'll be able to get on soon.

Completely disagree with you on the second part. I know you've expressed many times how you don't like anyone who's not part of the legislature butting in on a thread, but I don't see anything wrong with it, especially when they're the author of the bill and a member of the President's cabinet. There were quite a few bills introduced on behalf of my Administration where cabinet officials were part of the debate. I'm sure Polnut will be making an appearance himself in a few days to speak on his tax proposal.

I'm not trying to get you in a "corner", so to speak, I simply think it's wrong  that you get mad when people are trying to table YOUR bill without discussion, then turn around and try to do the very same thing to this bill. You really need to learn the definition of "troll" before you start throwing it out left and right.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »

I have no problem with the people providing constructive input. I do take issue with personal vendettas being brought into the chamber, primarily by yourself and the SoEA. If you came to make a point I would be inclined to listen. You, instead, came to start a fight. You wanted to get one up on me due to your irrational personal hatred of me.

Every single action I've taken this session has been subject to uncalled for interference from either yourself or Ben. In case you didn't notice, I and others expressed similar sentiments as to why this bill does not need further debate. Antonio V sought a motion to table out of sheer immaturity because he himself didn't like it. The Senate too my side on that one and rightfully so. You are comparing apples to rotting oranges.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »

I have to agree with Tmthforu94 on this.  Napoleon, we gave your legislation a chance; it's only fair to allow Barnes the chance to defend his bill.  If Barnes is still MIA in 48 hours, then screw it.  Napoleon, if you're going to demand we give your bills a chance, you should extend the same courtesy to others.  Then again, given your history of taking everything extremely personally (as evidenced by the post above me), then I doubt you will listen to reason.

That said, I find this legislation unnecessary.  Our office threads are in a perpetual question time, if people feel the need to ask one.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »

I don't have hatred towards you or anyone.

I agree with you that the early arguments in your bill's thread were garbage, but I certainly wouldn't call the arguments made about this bill "gold". Regardless of the first couple hours of discussion, I still think the sponsor should at least have an opportunity to defend his piece of legislation. I'm sorry you think differently.

Regarding the bill itself, I think it should be amended so that anyone can propose a question, not just a Senator. I also think it probably needs to stay open longer. I would be interested in hearing Barne's reasoning for doing this every week. I think this could turn out to work very well, but it may start getting repetitive if we have it going on and on each week.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »

Four senators have said this bill is unnecessary. There isn't anything to debate. This isn't a policy change; it is a gimmick. Minds will not change in the event Barnes returns. You're insinuating that the SoIA is going to descend from Heaven, shine His light and we will understand why we require a 48 hour question thread and why an office would not suffice?

This is nothing like the motion to table my foreign policy bill, as evidenced by the results of that vote which you can easily compare to the views expressed in this thread. I was right you'd show up though. It's cute. Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »

The SoIA already missed one or two Wednesdays so he has "argued" against the functionality of this bill. Actions really do speak louder than words.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

The SoIA already missed one or two Wednesdays so he has "argued" against the functionality of this bill. Actions really do speak louder than words.

As in your consistent demonstration of a severe persecution complex?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

As in your consistent demonstration of a severe persecution complex?

Are you seriously trying to claim (in some sort of sick, back-handed way) that you and Tmthforu turn Senate threads into this for some other reason than hatred? Your pathological obsession with throwing insults at me or creating baseless disruptions in Senate threads instead of mature debate is understandably irritating as hell.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A vote is now open on the motion to table The Question Time Act. This vote will last for 48 hours and require the support of 2/3rds of those voting to be approved.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »

Aye
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »

Aye
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time Barnes has gone AWOL.

Aye.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 02:39:09 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length