The Election Weekend Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:05:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Election Weekend Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Election Weekend Discussion Thread  (Read 8303 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2004, 10:16:46 PM »

And now Handzus26 is in the lead in district 1B, assuming that  RReagan4EVER's District 1B Senatorial vote doesn't get thrown out on a technicality.  If that happens, we have a mess.

I think not living in the district is a little more than a technicality Wink

It's late.   RReagan4EVER's vote is potentially challengeable, but it would be a a monkeywrench for District 3B, not 1B, if it were challenged.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2004, 10:17:26 PM »

Excellent, my lone vote appears to have been decisive.  Go Handzus!

We still have two days left and more votes will be cast. If I get another vote, it is a tie between me and Handzus, .Andrew is gone and then I have no idea what happens afterwards.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2004, 10:18:27 PM »

I guess after all this campaigning I will write a campaign history of these midterm elections.

it will be:

"Of Palaces and Politics II: Midterm Elections"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2004, 10:20:35 PM »

I guess after all this campaigning I will write a campaign history of these midterm elections.

it will be:

That assumes you won't be too busy being governor.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2004, 10:21:54 PM »

On a somewhat related note, who the hell is Tomato Soup?

You know your typical member who posts maybe one or two times before an election and you never see them again until voting begins. I can't stand that stuff.

He's been away for a week and much of the summer. He got back yesterday. I know this because he is my neighbor, who like me is intersted in politics. True, he hasn't been very active in the forum recently, but there was a time when he was.

Ha, I knew you guys had to know each other because so convientley for Akno this vote just pops out of no where. Just like last election.

It doesn't pop out of nowhere. He has made 43 posts, only 2 have been votes. That means he has made over 40 non-vote related posts.

No Akno. The point is last time he voted in the special. Before that vote he hadn't posted in a month. Now he votes and he has only posted twice since the special election. It's very obvious that you told him about this election and requested a vote since he just happens to show up everytime you are running for something.

The Special Election started on July 23. TomatoSoup registered on June 23. When you say "Before that he hadn't posted in a month"

He registered June 23rd. The next time he posted was the election on July 25th (he posted a couple times that day. Two or three times and then his vote). That would be about a month. So explain to me how that's a lie?

I'm sorry alittle error. Tomato Soup most recent post before July 25th was June 29th (still a month so I don't see how it's a lie)

June 29th to July 25th is not a month. Close, but not a month. Basically, TomatoSoup had a period of intense activity, that time is gone now. He still participates, however. As I said before, it is possible he has been on vacation.

Oh don't give me that, Akno. It's not a month, I know, but he is absent for the longest time and then just so happens to show up to vote in your elections. Hmmmm you guys are neighbors right? Coincidence that he shows up and votes for you and disappears? So let me get this straight about the vacation theory...he joins, goes on vacation and the vacation happens to end when you are running. Then he goes on another month long vacation and comes back just in time to vote for you and others. Hmmm...am I the only one not believing that?

I don't know how long his vacations were. He is not as into the whole political thing as much as me as far as I can tell, which leads to the possible conclusion of why he has hardly posted in the past months.

a) He found better things to do, thus cutting back on the time one has to post things on the forum.

b) He was on vacation for a large portion of the summer, 1-4 weeks or so.

Keystone Phil, I think you operate under the assumption that everyone who posts here is totally committed to politics, that it consumes their life, and that they stop by here every day to post.  
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2004, 10:24:03 PM »

it will be:

I was planning on writing it anyway. After my amazing history of the last Presidential election, people have come to expect it. Smiley

Though I do hope to be governor if the voters allow.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »

it will be:

I was planning on writing it anyway. After my amazing history of the last Presidential election, people have come to expect it. Smiley

Where is your history of the last Presidential Election? I would like to read it.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2004, 10:25:34 PM »

it will be:

Where is your history of the last Presidential Election? I would like to read it.

I will try to find it. I hope it isn't buried too far. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2004, 10:25:41 PM »

You know your typical member who posts maybe one or two times before an election and you never see them again until voting begins. I can't stand that stuff.

He's been away for a week and much of the summer. He got back yesterday. I know this because he is my neighbor, who like me is intersted in politics. True, he hasn't been very active in the forum recently, but there was a time when he was.

Ha, I knew you guys had to know each other because so convientley for Akno this vote just pops out of no where. Just like last election.

It doesn't pop out of nowhere. He has made 43 posts, only 2 have been votes. That means he has made over 40 non-vote related posts.

No Akno. The point is last time he voted in the special. Before that vote he hadn't posted in a month. Now he votes and he has only posted twice since the special election. It's very obvious that you told him about this election and requested a vote since he just happens to show up everytime you are running for something.

The Special Election started on July 23. TomatoSoup registered on June 23. When you say "Before that he hadn't posted in a month"

He registered June 23rd. The next time he posted was the election on July 25th (he posted a couple times that day. Two or three times and then his vote). That would be about a month. So explain to me how that's a lie?

I'm sorry alittle error. Tomato Soup most recent post before July 25th was June 29th (still a month so I don't see how it's a lie)

June 29th to July 25th is not a month. Close, but not a month. Basically, TomatoSoup had a period of intense activity, that time is gone now. He still participates, however. As I said before, it is possible he has been on vacation.

Oh don't give me that, Akno. It's not a month, I know, but he is absent for the longest time and then just so happens to show up to vote in your elections. Hmmmm you guys are neighbors right? Coincidence that he shows up and votes for you and disappears? So let me get this straight about the vacation theory...he joins, goes on vacation and the vacation happens to end when you are running. Then he goes on another month long vacation and comes back just in time to vote for you and others. Hmmm...am I the only one not believing that?

Keystone Phil, I think you operate under the assumption that everyone who posts here is totally committed to politics, that it consumes their life, and that they stop by here every day to post.  

Na this is what I think, Akno. That your pal stops by, not caring about the forum at all, and gives a vote to you. It annoys other people, too Akno, when they disappear from the forum and happen to stop by just to vote for certain people. You even admitted he was your neighbor so you obviously filled him in on the election and told him to stop by for a vote. This forum is not meant for people to join, vanish, and then come back to help theirs personal pals win elections, Akno.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2004, 10:35:32 PM »

Na this is what I think, Akno. That your pal stops by, not caring about the forum at all, and gives a vote to you. It annoys other people, too Akno, when they disappear from the forum and happen to stop by just to vote for certain people. You even admitted he was your neighbor so you obviously filled him in on the election and told him to stop by for a vote. This forum is not meant for people to join, vanish, and then come back to help theirs personal pals win elections, Akno.

He cares about the forum. He has made over 40 intelligent posts that demonstrate a knowledge of politics. Since that point, he has not been on the forum very often, but many people stop posting regularly on the forum and then come back. I did not refer the Atlas Forum to TomatoSoup for the purpose of having him vote for me. I refered it to him because since I know him, and since I know he is intersted in politics, I thought he might enjoy it.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2004, 10:37:35 PM »

This is a non-issue...he is registered....thats it. Move on...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2004, 10:39:33 PM »

He cares about the forum. He has made over 40 intelligent posts that demonstrate a knowledge of politics. Since that point, he has not been on the forum very often, but many people stop posting regularly on the forum and then come back. I did not refer the Atlas Forum to TomatoSoup for the purpose of having him vote for me. I refered it to him because since I know him, and since I know he is intersted in politics, I thought he might enjoy it.

Point is: He joins, disappears, then comes back and votes for you. And don't tell us you don't tell him when an election roles around and you need a vote because that's just ridiculous. Anyway, I'm done arguing this. But I do believe it is unfortunate that we have members who just vanish and then want to play a part in deciding who we elect.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2004, 10:40:18 PM »

I think the following should be the litmus test to resolve this dispute:

If TomatoSoup makes further posts following his vote in this election within the next two weeks, then Keystone Phil's concern shall be declared unwarranted.  If, on the other hand, TomatoSoup does not post any more in that time span following his vote, then Keystone Phil can say he has a case.

At this point it's too early to know for sure.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2004, 10:41:56 PM »

Point is: He joins, disappears, then comes back and votes for you. And don't tell us you don't tell him when an election roles around and you need a vote because that's just ridiculous. Anyway, I'm done arguing this. But I do believe it is unfortunate that we have members who just vanish and then want to play a part in deciding who we elect.

I'm done arguing this, and I agree with Gabu.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2004, 10:43:18 PM »

I think the following should be the litmus test to resolve this dispute:

If TomatoSoup makes further posts following his vote in this election within the next two weeks, then Keystone Phil's concern shall be declared unwarranted.  If, on the other hand, TomatoSoup does not post any more in that time span following his vote, then Keystone Phil can say he has a case.

At this point it's too early to know for sure.

I have a case right now as do others. Listen, I'm not the only one who doesn't like a member vanishing and then coming back to decide our leaders. He has joined, vanished, voted, vanished, and voted again. It's unfair to the forum.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2004, 10:43:22 PM »

He is registeredHis vote stays
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2004, 10:45:34 PM »

He is registered, his vote will stay. I'm just saying I don't believe it's right that members disappear on us and then want to have a voice when it comes to who we elect.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2004, 10:46:56 PM »

I have a case right now as do others. Listen, I'm not the only one who doesn't like a member vanishing and then coming back to decide our leaders. He has joined, vanished, voted, vanished, and voted again. It's unfair to the forum.

My point is this: If he starts posting at least semi-regularly, then he's as much a part of the forum as anyone else and has as much of a right as anyone else to decide who will be in Congress and the White House.  If he makes only one post to vote for someone, however, then he is not really part of the forum and I would agree with what you're saying.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2004, 10:49:24 PM »

it will be:

I will try to find it. I hope it isn't buried too far. Smiley

Thanks. Early Atlas Politics Intersts me. Things seemed a lot more unstable back then. (I just read through a bunch of posts from when it all got started)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2004, 10:57:51 PM »

He is registered, his vote will stay. I'm just saying I don't believe it's right that members disappear on us and then want to have a voice when it comes to who we elect.

That is why each registered voter must vote in at least 1 out of every x elections. I'm not sure what the number is, but I know that certian voters, have an asterik next to their name, which means they must vote in this election.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2004, 11:02:36 PM »

I only voted for senate. I will wait a bit before voting for Pacific stuff.

Gabu, if you're registered in Washington, are you going to vote? You should vote for Seattle for capital. Wink

Wildcard is winning 8-1...But I haven't voted yet. Neither has Freedomburns or platy-whatever.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2004, 11:06:46 PM »

I only voted for senate. I will wait a bit before voting for Pacific stuff.

Gabu, if you're registered in Washington, are you going to vote? You should vote for Seattle for capital. Wink

Wildcard is winning 8-1...But I haven't voted yet. Neither has Freedomburns or platy-whatever.

Playpean Archcow has not posted since August 3rd.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2004, 11:07:48 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2004, 11:50:38 PM by Jesus »

Oh.

Well then I guess I voted for StevenNick, since he was my 2nd choice.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2004, 11:43:48 PM »

District 4B:

Josh 22

Note: This post has not been edited. This is not a second vote since I have deleted my previous post.

Is vote manipulation allowed? Mr. Attorney General....Secretary of Forum Affairs?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2004, 02:16:04 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2004, 02:32:45 AM by Fritz »

Phil, you can argue this all you like, but TomatoSoup is a valid, registered voter.  As Akno pointed out, voter registration does become invalidated after 4 months, if a vote is not cast.  We have a constitution that explicitly spells out all our rules for voting and elections.

Yes, Akno knows the guy, and he asked for his vote.  So what?  You can do the same thing.  Getting registered voters to vote for you is part of the game here.

On another subject, to Andrew's question- the constitution prohibits editing a vote.  The current situation requires some ruling.  The voter edited his vote, then deleted it, and voted again.  If someone deletes a vote, what evidence is there that that happened?  Well, in this case I guess there is the evidence of peoples posts pointing out the fact that he edited his post.  But his post is gone, so that cant be verified.  As SOFA, I have ruled that the vote cast, which has not been edited, is valid.  If someone wants to take this case to the court, they are free to do so, and may even have a valid case.  Its only one vote, though, it may or may not affect the actual result.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies