The Election Weekend Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Election Weekend Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Election Weekend Discussion Thread  (Read 8206 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 20, 2004, 07:33:41 PM »

I count 47 people showing up to vote so far, out of 120 eligible voters.  Thats 39%.  Not bad.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 07:50:52 PM »

Josh22 and Mr. Hobbes are both doing much better than I expected, there might be a last-minute surprise here.

RReagan4EVER is totally shocking me!  Akno, do something!  Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 08:20:25 PM »

Kings page is mostly accurate.  Rreagan4EVER is now up to 7 instead of 5, Texasgurl is up to 7 instead of 6, Harry and Josh are at 5-4.  Other than that, I think his page is up-to-date.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 08:39:46 PM »

DISTRICT 1 UPDATE-
Handzus26 4
Keystone Phil 4
.Andrew 3

Round 2-
Handzus26 5
Keystone Phil 5

TIE!
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 08:53:19 PM »

Hes a registered voter.  He doesnt come around much, but us Democrats are always happy when he shows up to vote.  Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 09:10:29 PM »

Is Gustaf gonna come around and sticky all the voting threads?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 10:11:04 PM »

District 1-

Round 1:
Handzus26 5
.Andrew 4
Keystone Phil 4

Tie-breaker between .Andrew and Phil:
.Andrew 8
Keystone Phil 4
Keystone Phil gets eliminated.

Final Tally:
Handzus 26 5
.Andrew 4
Since none of Phils voters put either of the leading candidates as second preference.

As it stands now, Handzus26 would win.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 02:16:04 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2004, 02:32:45 AM by Fritz »

Phil, you can argue this all you like, but TomatoSoup is a valid, registered voter.  As Akno pointed out, voter registration does become invalidated after 4 months, if a vote is not cast.  We have a constitution that explicitly spells out all our rules for voting and elections.

Yes, Akno knows the guy, and he asked for his vote.  So what?  You can do the same thing.  Getting registered voters to vote for you is part of the game here.

On another subject, to Andrew's question- the constitution prohibits editing a vote.  The current situation requires some ruling.  The voter edited his vote, then deleted it, and voted again.  If someone deletes a vote, what evidence is there that that happened?  Well, in this case I guess there is the evidence of peoples posts pointing out the fact that he edited his post.  But his post is gone, so that cant be verified.  As SOFA, I have ruled that the vote cast, which has not been edited, is valid.  If someone wants to take this case to the court, they are free to do so, and may even have a valid case.  Its only one vote, though, it may or may not affect the actual result.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 10:39:41 AM »

What did you think of my other decision?  Should a vote for "RReagan117" be counted as a vote for RReagan4EVER?

In both cases, I did what I thought was right.  Also in both cases, my decision favors a candidate that I oppose.  I'm not Katherine Harris, I do whats right, even if it hurts the candidate I support.

I think both of these remain open to court challenges, however, if the disputed vote ends up deciding the outcome.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 10:40:48 AM »

In fact it looks like Akno is taking that to court.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 10:51:53 AM »

Well, I'm starting to have second thoughts about this decision.  Phil makes a good point.

We'll see if the disputed vote affects the outcome.  If it does, the court will have to rule on this.  If it doesn't, its irrelevant.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 12:53:29 PM »

Run-off voting has created ties in 1B and 2B Shocked

In both cases, the tie is resolved by counting first preference votes only of the candidates involved in the tie.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 11:05:28 PM »

With Hockey Dude's latest vote, Migrendel pulls into the lead in 2B!

Round 1:
Bono 4
Migrendel 3
Umengus 2

Round 2:
Migrendel 5
Bono 4

And Migrendel hasnt even voted yet!
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 11:25:44 PM »

In a surprising move that I did not expect, President Gustaf has voted for PBrunsel for Midwest Governor!  This brings PBrunsels lead to 4-2, and virtually assures his victory.

You were right on this one, Phil!
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 08:48:34 AM »

Latest Updates- lots of ties happening:

1B- Handzus 6, .Andrew 5, Keystone Phil 5.  
Tiebreaker between .Andrew and Phil: .Andrew 9, Phil 5.  Phil is eliminated.
Final runoff: Handzus 6, .Andrew 5.

On a side note, this is why Hughento is right.  Preferential voting only works if all voters rank all the candidates.

2B- After the runoff, its Bono 5, Migrendel 5.  Bono wins the tie due to having the most first preferences.

2A- If NixonNow's vote is counted for RReagan4EVER, he wins 9-8.  If that vote is disqualified, it is a tie 8-8.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »

These are the procedures I am following to break ties:

Okay, we'll go with your tiers 1 and 2 then.  Those both use the ballots cast to determine the outcome.

Ok so can we have an official post to lay out exactly what will happen if there is a tie at Noon Today.

Tie Breakers-

Tier 1.  The candidate with more first preference votes wins the tie.

Tier 2.  Every ballot cast in the election is re-examined as a race solely between the two candidates involved in the tie.

If one of the candidates wins Tier 1, and the other candidate wins Tier 2, that becomes a tie requiring a run-off election.

It should be noted that these procedures have never been officially passed into law, and remain open to court challenges.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2004, 12:34:28 PM »

Check the first post in each voting booth for closing times, they are all different.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2004, 03:41:03 PM »

Yay PBrunsel...not only has AFIP lost its governor seat...it loses DemRepDan's seat aswell...not bad for a "third party" or is it "fifth party" on this website? Tongue

Thats not over yet...Texasgurl only leads by one vote.  The AFIP also will probably make up for losses by adding Handzus26 to the senate.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2004, 08:32:04 PM »

Oh, really?  I dont know about Governor races, but the UAC only ran one candidate for Senate- Mr. Hobbes.  Of the 6 UAC members voting in that election, 3 of them voted for Hobbes- yourself included, I might add.  Smiley  The other 3 put Hobbes as second preference.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 01:19:24 AM »

Oh, really?  I dont know about Governor races, but the UAC only ran one candidate for Senate- Mr. Hobbes.  Of the 6 UAC members voting in that election, 3 of them voted for Hobbes- yourself included, I might add.  Smiley  The other 3 put Hobbes as second preference.

Hmm, I think I was counting .Andrew as UAC, and MAS117 as well. Oh well. And you actually made my point for me about Mr. Hobbes - only half the UAC in D5 voted for him! Smiley And for the record, I would've voted for Mr. Hobbes anyway since his positions are closest to mine. But StevenNick is a good Senator and I'm glad he's there to counterbalance the far-left tilt in the Senate (then again, Migrendel won (did he even vote?) and he can tilt anything far-left all by himself Wink ). What a wild election...

I forgot about them, because they were write-in.

In D1, ALL 5 of the UAC voters who voted, voted for Andrew!!!!

You're right about MAS117, no one voted for him...probably because he announced so late.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies