Will Trump get to appoint yet another justice? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:47:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump get to appoint yet another justice? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Trump get to appoint yet another justice?  (Read 2200 times)
Cashew
United States

« on: October 19, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »

Yes at least one more, either Thomas retires or one of the liberal justices (Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor) dies.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »

He will get to appoint two more justices in the coming six years.

I think Clarence Thomas can last longer than that, and certainly longer than a Republican senate majority (which wouldn't make it past 2022 if Trump gets reelected.)

The difference is that Republicans are team players who do what is best for their parties as opposed to Ginsburg who refused to retire in 2009.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 03:57:02 PM »

One of Bill Clinton's greatest mistakes was appointing old justices. Clarence Thomas has been on the court since 1991, and his 70. Both of Clinton's justices were appointed a few years later, but are 15 years older than Clarence Thomas. We are going to be stuck with the disgraceful hack Clarence Thomas for another 10-15 years. Maybe even more.

If I was a incoming president, I would enact a court packing scheme FDR style. I would expand the court to 11 and appoint two 35 year old liberal justices. There can be no compromise. Democrats are always the whiny party complaining about the other side playing too dirty. They have to beat Republicans at their own game.

First of all they cant ask abolishing legislative filibuster requires 67 votes and cant be changed via nuclear option like judicial filibusters can.

That is just flat out not true. You wishing it was does not make it so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies