Brown offered Ashdown a Cabinet post; Lib Dems livid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:46:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brown offered Ashdown a Cabinet post; Lib Dems livid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brown offered Ashdown a Cabinet post; Lib Dems livid  (Read 1470 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6227550.stm

'Gordon Brown has been accused of "dirty tricks" by Lib Dems angry at his attempt to recruit their ex-leader Paddy Ashdown to his first Cabinet.

Lord Ashdown rejected an approach by the prime minister-in-waiting to serve as Northern Ireland Secretary.'

Hrmm. On the 'negative side', it doesn't help an incoming PM, crowned without election, implementing a programme not endorsed by the electorate in any general election to bring a party, that people didn't want in power into a position of power. On the positive it may accelarate the wane of the Liberal Democrats. Had he accepted and had the leadership been supportive or even indifferent I would have expected some 'Orange Book' defections to the Conservatives. Ah well Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »

I'm still a little confused by LibDem reaction to all this, although this isn't the oddest part at all. That was when Ed Davey called initial Gruaniad rumours a "smear"...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »

Is their any modern precedent for a British PM to invite a parliamentarian from another party into the cabinet outside of coalitions/national governments?

I'm a little confused as to why Brown would make such an offer, not that it would necessarily be a bad move, it just seems so unusual.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:23:24 PM »

Very interesting, very calculating, very much the sort of thing I was expecting Brown to do (not specifically this of course, but I was thinking there would be some swipe at the LD's soon)

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:40 PM »

Why? So that if something goes wrong in Northern Ireland (as if anything ever does Wink ) the Lib Dems can get the blame.  I doubt that there are many Labour MPs or Lords who would be interested in taking a post with such a strong possibility of being the start of political oblivion.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »

Why? Because Paddy Ashdown used to be popular and is well-qualified for the job, not attributes that your typical Blair Babe (read that as gender neutral) backbencher is ever going to have.
And because it might ruffle some feathers at LD headquarters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies