Long Islanders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Long Islanders
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long Islanders  (Read 1164 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »

Just a reminder:

Don't forget to go vote today.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »

What election do you guys have? Vote Quimby!
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:50:56 PM »

School districts.  The 124 school districts on the island all have their elections/budget vote today.

School districts on the Island are proposing an average tax increase of 4.72 percent. The average proposed tax increase in Suffolk County comes in at 5.28 percent while districts in Nassau are proposing an average hike of 4.22 percent.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »

School districts.  The 124 school districts on the island all have their elections/budget vote today.

School districts on the Island are proposing an average tax increase of 4.72 percent. The average proposed tax increase in Suffolk County comes in at 5.28 percent while districts in Nassau are proposing an average hike of 4.22 percent.

Won't that make your tax rate around 100 cents on the dollar now?

Are there any other Long Islanders on this forum who are likely to vote against such a measure, or are there some non-red avatars I've been missing?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 04:08:12 PM »

Are there any other Long Islanders on this forum who are likely to vote against such a measure, or are there some non-red avatars I've been missing?

Hello.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »

Don't really care much about the school budget either way.  The budget in Massapequa I think failed in once of the last twenty years or something like that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:15:25 PM »

Whoa! You have 124 separate school districts?!!! That's insane!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »

Whoa! You have 124 separate school districts?!!! That's insane!

Their has been some talk of trying to combine the districts, but that just isn't going to happen.  Many communities tend to have their own districts, some communities are combined into one district, most districts have 1 jr high & high school, though some have two.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2007, 12:18:28 AM by KEmperor »

Well, I just got home from work and checked the results.  My budget passed by about 600 votes, no luck there.

As to your question, yes just about.  I honestly wonder what they are going to do once they reach that point, since they've been raising it by substantial amounts every year.  It's the freaking teachers unions.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »

Well, I just got home from work and checked the results.  My budget passed by about 600 votes, no luck there.

As to your question, yes just about.  I honestly wonder what they are going to do once they reach that point, since they've been raising it by substantial amounts every year.  It's the freaking teachers unions.

The Unions share some of the blame, but not all of it.  You also have the NCLB program which is expensive to implement, and the federal funding hasn't been delivered to the promised levels.  Also back in 2003 Pataki pushed through some cuts in the state aid and we are still recovering from that.  Remember how the views on Pataki dropped considerably after his 02 re-election, the school funding in 03 was a key reason.

The teachers unions do deserve some of the blame, but the inadequate state and federal funding have also caused the problems, as well as having too many school districts.

About 65=70% of the property taxes here in Nassau (and I think its the same or close out in Suffolk) come from school taxes.  With that being said Long Island does have one of the best if not the best  public school systems in the entire country (though their are some exceptions especially in the poorer neighborhoods)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »

With the results of 123 of the 124 districts in the budget passed in 116 of them.  Failed in Roosevelt & Westbury in Nassau (Lawrence still unknown) and in Suffolk failed in Brentwood, Fire Island, Mt. Sinai, Patchouge-Medford and Wyandanch
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 12:43:25 AM »

With the results of 123 of the 124 districts in the budget passed in 116 of them.  Failed in Roosevelt & Westbury in Nassau (Lawrence still unknown) and in Suffolk failed in Brentwood, Fire Island, Mt. Sinai, Patchouge-Medford and Wyandanch

Yeah, and apparently Brentwood only failed by 4 votes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:43:54 AM »

What is the total (city or village, town, school district, county) property tax where you are, Smash? Upstate, it can be as high as 6%. I once did a little presentation in a history class about how property and sales taxes are regressive.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »

What is the total (city or village, town, school district, county) property tax where you are, Smash? Upstate, it can be as high as 6%. I once did a little presentation in a history class about how property and sales taxes are regressive.

Without getting into the exceptions the breakdown of the Nassau county taxes is as follows

First the county assesses the value of the home each year.  The taxes for this year are based off the value of Jan 2005.

In Nassau County their is a level of assessment and then a tax rate based off the level of assessment.  The level of assessment has dropped in recent years, while the tax rate based off the level of assessment has risen.  the tax rate of assessment is based off various services and is split between the county and the town (in my case Nassau County and the Town of Oyster Bay)
The tax rate between the county and the town  & fire district for 07 was $255.051 per $100 of assessed value (keep in mind the assessed value is 0.25% of the market value of the home.  Actual breakdown $143.334 county, 94.879 town, 16.827 fire. 

The School & Library tax (which is paid through the school taxes) is at an assessed value of $508.515 per $100, $489.773 for schools $18.742 for library

Overall breakdown with no exceptions
County 18.78%
Town 12.43%
Fire 2.20%
School 64.14%
Library 2.45%

Their are certain exemptions, and exceptions in which on the school taxes as well as certain portions of the county & town taxes in which the assessed level is lower.

I calculated the above without taking into consideration any of the exemptions or exceptions (most households will have some kind or another).  The total taxes without the exemptions was 1.91% of the market value of the home and keep in mind the market value was as of Jan 2005.  The market value that is given is generally under the actual value of the home.  casing point the value from the 09 taxes are out and they are the county deemed market value as of Jan 07.  The county deemed market values are lower than what the homes have been selling for.  Their is also exceptions to how much the county deemed market value can increase from year to year to avoid sticker shock when the housing market is really hot.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lielect0517-acrobat,0,6221720.acrobat?coll=ny-linews-utility

shows the breakdown district by district

my district (Massapequa) passed a budget of $156,570,819 a 6.78% increase from last year's budget by a vote of 2.892-2,354    or 55.13-44.87
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies