Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:53:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7497 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2019, 05:55:51 AM »
« edited: January 20, 2019, 06:02:25 AM by Landslide Lyndon »

Is there anything that doesn't cause outrage to conservative/Republican snowflakes?
I remember when they got their panties tied in a knot because of a Superbowl Chrysler ad with Clint Eastwood which in their fervent imagination was endorsing Obama's reelection.
And a couple of years ago they tried to boycott Coca Cola because of another Superbowl ad which celebrated diversity in America.
Must be a very miserable life watching TV constantly waiting for an excuse to be outraged.
Hollywood
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2019, 06:12:50 AM »

Is there anything that doesn't cause outrage to conservative/Republican snowflakes?
I remember when they got their panties tied in a knot because of a Superbowl Chrysler ad with Clint Eastwood which in their fervent imagination was endorsing Obama's reelection.
And a couple of years ago they tried to boycott Coca Cola because of another Superbowl ad which celebrated diversity in America.
Must be a very miserable life watching TV constantly waiting for an excuse to be outraged.

You just posted a snowflake thread yesterday falsely accusing teenagers of harassing a Native American adult.  Completely exaggerated and patently false.  At least have the decency to wait another day before calling republicans "snowflakes".   There aren't even that many Republicans that care about the Gillette commercial.  Those that saw the commercial rightfully disapproved of being called accomplices to sexism just as women would rightfully disapprove of being called emotional and black individuals would dislike being portrayed as disproportionately more violent than the general population of the U.S. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »

There aren't even that many Republicans that care about the Gillette commercial.  Those that saw the commercial rightfully disapproved of being called accomplices to sexism just as women would rightfully disapprove of being called emotional and black individuals would dislike being portrayed as disproportionately more violent than the general population of the U.S. 

91% of Republicans voted for Roy Moore.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »

You just posted a snowflake thread yesterday falsely accusing teenagers of harassing a Native American adult.  Completely exaggerated and patently false.  At least have the decency to wait another day before calling republicans "snowflakes".   There aren't even that many Republicans that care about the Gillette commercial.  Those that saw the commercial rightfully disapproved of being called accomplices to sexism just as women would rightfully disapprove of being called emotional and black individuals would dislike being portrayed as disproportionately more violent than the general population of the U.S. 

He has no decency.  Aim lower in your expectations of others.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »

You just posted a snowflake thread yesterday falsely accusing teenagers of harassing a Native American adult.  Completely exaggerated and patently false.  At least have the decency to wait another day before calling republicans "snowflakes".   There aren't even that many Republicans that care about the Gillette commercial.  Those that saw the commercial rightfully disapproved of being called accomplices to sexism just as women would rightfully disapprove of being called emotional and black individuals would dislike being portrayed as disproportionately more violent than the general population of the U.S.  

He has no decency.  Aim lower in your expectations of others.

Did you pray to try to find out what decency is?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »

I have lost brain cells by reading through this thread. Many of you(you know who you are) are calling those on the right snowflakes. Harassment goes both ways as well as sexism. Women can be sexist towards men, blacks can be racist towards whites, and the LGBT community can be heterophobic to those not a part of it. This should be a two way street, not a double standard! Imagine the outrage if a commercial of a product designed for women stated that women need to stop accusing men of sexual assault! An entire mans life can be ruined from one accusation. It is absolutely pathetic that people are supporting Gillette for insulting and harassing nearly half of the entire population. The boycotts have arrived and Gillette is going to get what they deserve!

Wow. This is literally the worst post I think I've read all year. I mean it's garbage from top to bottom. The LGBT community can be heterophobic to those who are not a part of it?!? WTF are you talking about? In what cave do you live in? Good almighty God.

Please stop posting. Burn your computer. Cancel your internet service and move to outer Mongolia. Your chances of posting anyting worthwhile are effectively nonexistent. Save yourself embarrassment, and the rest of the Forum from making its eyes bleed.

To recap. This post is unspeakably bad, and the so-called thought process that went behind it was just as awful.

The chief problem with this is that it literally could be a KKK advert. “Dangerous blacks! Lying women! Scary heterophobes!”

He literally left himself wide open for a Trump joke, and you decided to attack his faith?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:07 PM »

... It is absolutely pathetic that people are supporting Gillette for insulting and harassing nearly half of the entire population.

"Insulting and harassing?"
LOL. What are you talking about?
I don't feel insulted or harassed.
What a nutty comment.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »

I'm pleased they made an ad solely for Bill Clinton.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »

I'm pleased they made an ad solely for Bill Clinton.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »

I'm pleased they made an ad solely for Bill Clinton trump.

FIFY.
Smiley
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »

You fixed something that wasn't broken.

I'll bet that's the story of your life.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »

I have lost brain cells by reading through this thread. Many of you(you know who you are) are calling those on the right snowflakes. Harassment goes both ways as well as sexism. Women can be sexist towards men, blacks can be racist towards whites, and the LGBT community can be heterophobic to those not a part of it. This should be a two way street, not a double standard! Imagine the outrage if a commercial of a product designed for women stated that women need to stop accusing men of sexual assault! An entire mans life can be ruined from one accusation. It is absolutely pathetic that people are supporting Gillette for insulting and harassing nearly half of the entire population. The boycotts have arrived and Gillette is going to get what they deserve!

Wow. This is literally the worst post I think I've read all year. I mean it's garbage from top to bottom. The LGBT community can be heterophobic to those who are not a part of it?!? WTF are you talking about? In what cave do you live in? Good almighty God.

Please stop posting. Burn your computer. Cancel your internet service and move to outer Mongolia. Your chances of posting anyting worthwhile are effectively nonexistent. Save yourself embarrassment, and the rest of the Forum from making its eyes bleed.

To recap. This post is unspeakably bad, and the so-called thought process that went behind it was just as awful.

The chief problem with this is that it literally could be a KKK advert. “Dangerous blacks! Lying women! Scary heterophobes!”

He literally left himself wide open for a Trump joke, and you decided to attack his faith?

Trump jokes are easy. 

'Attacking' faith is much more important.  If a person bashes LGBTQ, Muslims, a women's right to abortion... and when criticized for it complains 'how dare you attack my faith?', establishing that once a person brings their 'faith' into the political arena, that it is fair game to question the validity of their 'faith' including their sincerity or understanding of their faith is very important.

Part of the problem is that people like Fuzzybear believe they have an entitlement to criticize others based on their 'religious beliefs' but that they can not be criticized in turn.

Claiming that I 'attacked his faith' feeds into this entitlement.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »

Unproven allegations for thee, but not for me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2019, 07:27:21 PM »

Unproven allegations for thee, but not for me.

This is the ultimate "Playing God" post from Lyndon.  Folks should view it for what it is.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2019, 07:55:40 PM »

Guys, guys! Can we both acknowledge those two both committed sexual harassment on the job and should both be considered targets of this ad?

That said, even considering the one accusation I recall Clinton painfully biting the lip of one of his accusers while groping her, yes, I can readily say without an ounce of partisanship that Trump is at least 20 times worse in this respect. Furthermore, and more tellingly, Clinton has at least acknowledged and apologized for his behavior oh, and did so under the very different and relatively unevolved standards from 20 years ago. Trump meanwhile, here in 2019, unconvincing lead denies his behavior in one hand, and high-fives his supporters about it with the other.

None of this changes the fact that Kristen gillibrand was right, the Clinton scandal came out today, he probably have to resign. Which case President Gore would have probably won in 2000 and.....(sigh).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I'm really tired of being lectured by the media and by corporate America.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

So as I said. Triggered snowflakes.

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about that message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.

The idea that ordinary people (A) never get a rest from this crap in the media, and (B) that it's now in corporate commercials as well in news, talk shows, and  public service spots.

The narrative that males are to blame for all that is wrong with society is one that has gotten traction.  While I don't wish for young boys to grow up to be narcissists, I consider this constant bombardment of males with blame for just about everything wrong with society (not to mention the "Male Privilege" doctrine) is more than a little excessive.

So I'm pushing back.  If I'm the only one here doing so, let it happen.

I guess we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:41 PM »

Question to the liberals: If a commercial asked Muslims not to be terrorists/extremists, how would you react?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »

Question to the liberals: If a commercial asked Muslims not to be terrorists/extremists, how would you react?

That's not even the same thing, because terrorists are not exclusive to one group and it's not something that is normalized. Bullying and sexual harassment have been ingrained into some men as being masculine and tough traits.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2019, 03:59:56 PM »

That's not even the same thing, because terrorists are not exclusive to one group and it's not something that is normalized. Bullying and sexual harassment have been ingrained into some men as being masculine and tough traits.

There are ways to refute his claim, but this is not one of them. Terrorists are not exclusive to one group and neither are bullying or sexual harassment. You can run an ad lib of that all day "[word 1] is not necessarily tied to being a [word 2], but some [word 2s] have been made to believe it is."
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2019, 05:17:08 PM »

SNL made fun of it so that should tell you what a great ad it is. From a consumer perspective what about this ad would make you buy their razors. The answer is that it doesn't and that's why it is a bad ad.

SNL Parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW6192cgV8g
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »

There are ways to refute his claim, but this is not one of them. Terrorists are not exclusive to one group and neither are bullying or sexual harassment. You can run an ad lib of that all day "[word 1] is not necessarily tied to being a [word 2], but some [word 2s] have been made to believe it is."

White Christian men are responsible for the vast majority of terrorist attacks in the US.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2019, 08:22:16 PM »

SNL made fun of it so that should tell you what a great ad it is. From a consumer perspective what about this ad would make you buy their razors. The answer is that it doesn't and that's why it is a bad ad.

The ad's quality at selling a product and its message are two completely different conversations.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »

Normal people looking at this ad:  " that's nice they're encouraging boys and men to not tolerate bullying and try to be our best. What a nice message. Oh good, the games back on..."

Right-wing snowflakes watching this: "HOW DARE THEY CALL ALL MEN BULLIES!! (option a) "ISNT IT ENOUGH SOCIETY IS TEACHING BOYS TO BE SOFT, NOW WE HAVE TO SEE THIS PC CRAP IN RAZOR ADS?!?" (option 2) "WHAT, DO THEY THINK WE'RE ALL NEANDRTHALS WORRYING ABOUT OUR BOYS BEING MADE SOFT THAT NOW WE HAVE TO SEE THIS PC CRAP IN RAZOR ADS?!?

(both versions) "I don't have time to spend with you now, son, Daddy has something to post on Facebook right away!"
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:12 PM »

Isn't SNL already on the boycott list for right wingers?
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »

Isn't SNL already on the boycott list for right wingers?
I'm not one of those boycott people.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies