Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:33:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7500 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 19, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.

Also, part of why the Gillette ad is "okay" is because the message is crafted so as to be a pep talk that's happening within the group (i.e., "we have to work hard to be better than the worst among us and also transcend the caricatures"). The situation you mention, asking minorities not to commit crime, is obviously very different, but honestly... there's probably a way to make it work at least on some level. Gillette might not be the brand to send that message, because the "we" wouldn't really intuitively represent racialized men... but put up a big-name black athlete or something? It could work. It really depends on whether the spokesperson is looking too much like a condescending or artificial mouthpiece representing dominant white corporate interests. Maybe... Gillette's "we" works because there's no disputing that corporate culture is still very much crafted by men.

The "pep talk" isn't between the group, however.  It's on national TV, in front of people's wives and kids.

Kids need to be exposed to a culture that doesn’t embrace toxic masculinity. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »

Kids need to be exposed to a culture that doesn’t embrace toxic masculinity.  
you think this ad was aimed at kids?  It seems to be aimed at people that think it's normal in America for a bunch of dads to stand around and watch two kids fight at a BBQ and chant "boys will be boys" (it's not).

I don't care who it's aimed at and I realize it's virtue-signaling, but so what?  It does a terrific job of delivering a really important message that people need to hear as often as possible.  Does Gillette make overpriced products?  I dunno, probably.  That's not really the point the though, the more companies feel like they have to start shifting to messages like the one in the Gillette ad, the better.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I'm really tired of being lectured by the media and by corporate America.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

So as I said. Triggered snowflakes.

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about the message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I'm really tired of being lectured by the media and by corporate America.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

So as I said. Triggered snowflakes.

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about that message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.

The idea that ordinary people (A) never get a rest from this crap in the media, and (B) that it's now in corporate commercials as well in news, talk shows, and  public service spots.

The narrative that males are to blame for all that is wrong with society is one that has gotten traction.  While I don't wish for young boys to grow up to be narcissists, I consider this constant bombardment of males with blame for just about everything wrong with society (not to mention the "Male Privilege" doctrine) is more than a little excessive.

So I'm pushing back.  If I'm the only one here doing so, let it happen.

I guess we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »

At least it's a positive ad compared to the last one which just defecated on men, throwing them all into a stereotype.

Someone was triggered by an ad that called on men to be their best.

by accusing them of uniformly failing at it for all of history up until the present #Metoo moment, when a chosen few were enlightened by the television talking heads.

Except it objectively did not do that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies