Taxation without Representation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 07:51:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Taxation without Representation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taxation without Representation  (Read 4221 times)
qwerty
Dick Nixon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »

My solution? No taxation. Make DC a tax-free zone.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:35:14 PM »

Uhm, well, not exactly sure what your issue is.

I'm guessing that you are saying that since DC is not a state, the people aren't represented on a federal level, or something. Perhaps federal tax free would be a solution to that, but DC has a city government that can have local taxes. Also, DC has three electoral votes, so they are represented in the executive branch.

The reason DC is not part of a state is because at the time they did not want to make one state seem more powerful than any other simply because they have the capitol of the country. I'm not quite sure how to give them Congressional representation, at least for the Senate, for the House DC could be made into it's own district(maybe just give them an extra two representatives to make up for lack of Senators).
Posterity
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 01:52:11 AM »

My solution:  Don't live in DC.
cwelsch

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:07:39 AM »

Maybe some plan where they vote in MD senate elections and get districted into MD house districts.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 06:47:27 AM »

My solution:  Don't live in DC.

You totally don't understand the living condidtions of some of these people. It takes a lot of money to move, and many people don't have that money. Living in DC is fairly cheap, compared with the surrounding areas, so they really can't just pack up and move.
qwerty
Dick Nixon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 07:11:10 AM »

Most state capitols and county seats are tax-free, so why shouldn't the nations capitol? The place being tax-free could also encourage development in a city that is going to hell rather quickly.
qwerty
Dick Nixon
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 10:11:59 AM »

Really?  This fact should be advertised more.  So what state capitols and county seats are tax-free?

Here in New Jersey, our capitol of Trenton and all our county seats are tax-free.
Posterity
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 01:19:43 PM »

You totally don't understand the living condidtions of some of these people. It takes a lot of money to move, and many people don't have that money. Living in DC is fairly cheap, compared with the surrounding areas, so they really can't just pack up and move.

Well, that's why I said it was My solution, not the solution.

Secondly, I've moved across the country, several times, with very little money.  It can be done.  And, as it was already pointed out, there are cheaper places to live than the suburbs of DC.  If someone is truly opposed to the idea of taxation without representation, they would find a way to move.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:57:59 PM »

Most state capitols and county seats are tax-free
No . . .

I think the solution is a constitutional amendment that defines what a "district" is.  Maybe 1 representative, and being able to vote in Senate races of a nearby state.  Then DC, Guam, American Samoa, and the NMI can become districts.  DC could vote in MD's Senate elecitons, and the other three in HI's.  It seems a good fair solution.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 07:33:35 PM »

Most state capitols and county seats are tax-free, so why shouldn't the nations capitol? The place being tax-free could also encourage development in a city that is going to hell rather quickly.

What county seats and state capitols are you talking about?  I've never heard of such a thing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 07:35:55 PM »

Give DC back to Maryland.  There is no need for the feds to own the land.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 07:40:57 PM »

Give DC back to Maryland.  There is no need for the feds to own the land.
Agreed, but the Feds will still own the land they use, just as they do throughout the nation. We had an earlier thread that suggested reducing the District to a much smaller area around the Mall including the major Federal buildings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies