PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:22:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA McCain volunteer (possibly) assaulted  (Read 16297 times)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« on: October 23, 2008, 04:39:57 PM »

A BLACK man mugged a WHITE WOMAN.  

therefore, we better vote for McCain.

I gotta admit, that IS how some of the posters here are sounding.  Rather than simply decrying the viscious and criminal attack perpetrated by ONE Obama supporter.

To be fair, folks on the left were quick to throw McCain under the bus for the racist acts of his crowds.

I'm sure Obama abhors this act, but I think questioning who represents a candidate's core constituencies is in bounds, as long as it doesn't descend into blanket prejudices.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »

To be fair, folks on the left were quick to throw McCain under the bus for the racist acts of his crowds.

I'm sure Obama abhors this act, but I think questioning who represents a candidate's core constituencies is in bounds, as long as it doesn't descend into blanket prejudices.

McCain himself can't be responsible for everything said, but a) those people were actually McCain supporters attending a McCain rally (and not someone identified by an Obama supporter after the fact with no witnesses as such), and b) people criticized Palin's rhetoric for stirring them up.

That's for another thread, though.

A question for you and other Republicans: looking at the picture, do you take this woman at her word that the B was scratched into her face by an "Obama supporter"? Or do you admit there's some doubt there?

There's always doubt.  I have yet to see anything substantive that impugns her, however.  (I'm in the legal profession, so I'm all about reasonable doubt and burdens of proof.)

I'm not going to get into the rest of your comments, because they are silly.  I have yet to understand how McCain or Palin "stirred up" bigots.  There are bigoted Republicans, and bigots generally say a lot of stupid things, especially when presidential candidates are concerned.

Unfortunately, I think a political rally + opposition candidate is black = racist garbage in parts of this country.  Do you want the GOP to just give up the election because Obama is black and anything they do could hypothetically inspire a bigot?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »

didn't obama say tell his supporters to "get in their faces"

uh oh

LOL
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:38 PM »

Do you want the GOP to just give up the election because Obama is black and anything they do could hypothetically inspire a bigot?

No, no... and I know a lot of the "Obama is a Muslim" stuff comes up from the grassroots and there's not much the McCain campaign can do to rein it in. However, calling him anti-American, talking about him palling around with terrorists, that dovetails well with the worst anti-Obama crap out there and stirs people up to hate him for being a weird foreigner who hates America. Is that what you consider a constructive argument to use against Obama? There were plenty of others... calling him inexperienced wasn't racist, neither would pointing out that his running mate is owned by the credit card companies and has stupid ideas about foreign policy. I never bought that calling him a celebrity was racist, either.

No, it's not constructive, but it doesn't make him culpable for racism by his supporters, either.

I think the "palling around with terrorists" was an epic stretch (technically not inaccurate, but there's a huge difference between a 1970s radical and an Islamic fundamentalist, both in motivations and in underlying philosophies).

Palling around with anti-American radicals, however, I think that's a fair comment to make, whether or not you agree with it.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »

/wonders if the mugger will even vote.

I wonder if the mugger thought he was voting.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »

/wonders if the mugger will even vote.

I wonder if the mugger thought he was voting.

I wonder if he is even eligible to vote

Sure he is; he registered 17 or 18 times.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

As someone in a racially mixed marriage and raising a mixed race son, I think some of you people on here are positively despicable. 

oh, cry me a river.  I'm also in a racially mixed marriage and am raising FOUR mixed-race kids.  Who cares?

Cool, I thought I was only one here that was down with the swirl.

I have limited dabblings in the dark arts, but extensive experience with the kimchi.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »

It's almost surely a hoax, folks. Just look at the facts and use some commonsense.

There is likely no sick mugger who takes time to carve an elaborate backward B instead of a simple O. In fact, there are likely no thieves out there who care one way or another about the presidential election. However, there is potentially an erratic McCain supporter who has carved a backward B into her face and made up an outrageous story in an attempt to stoke racist fires in certain areas of Pennsylvania...

We hear you, loud and clear.

Can we now wait for real people to do real investigating so we have some real facts, instead of your largely baseless insistence?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »

Skepticism is healthy, and it does seem "too good to be true" (politically-speaking).  But that's a pretty boss shiner she's got in that picture.

Let's wait for the evidence, hmm?  I think it's despicable that so many are ready to jump on the "hoax" bandwagon and attribute this to political shenanigans.  Not altogether unsurprising, given the tenor of some discussions on this forum in the past few weeks (and frankly, in our society generally), but despicable nonetheless.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »

Skepticism is healthy, and it does seem "too good to be true" (politically-speaking).  But that's a pretty boss shiner she's got in that picture.

Let's wait for the evidence, hmm?  I think it's despicable that so many are ready to jump on the "hoax" bandwagon and attribute this to political shenanigans.  Not altogether unsurprising, given the tenor of some discussions on this forum in the past few weeks (and frankly, in our society generally), but despicable nonetheless.

We have evidence: The elaborate, well-rounded/straight-line backwards "B."  And this was supposedly done with an assault knife? That is some fine knifesmanship mixed with an apparent case of dyslexia. Apparently the cops should keep an eye out for dyslexic knife experts...

We also have commonsense: Why an elaborate backwards "B" instead of a simple "O"? Not running away from the scene in a clean getaway, but instead looking at her bumper and then turning a simple robbery into a headline news assault, clearly adding to the risk of getting caught and therefore risking years and years of his life in prison? And since when did petty thieves care about or pay attention to presidential politics, anyway?

There's a reason why the cops are not buying the story. It has all the hallmarks of a fabrication and her testimony is clearly not convincing them...

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »

For the first time, I'll be using the ignore button.

I'm not going to waste my time reading or responding to people who present opinion and conjecture as fact.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies