Why are you a member of the party you are?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:09:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are you a member of the party you are?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why are you a member of the party you are?  (Read 4124 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »

Indeed, why are you a Republican? Your most recent comment here strengthens my point, that you should be a Democrat.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:46 AM »

It's so frustrating to see just how many people we are alienating with our pointless positions on social issues.  They're not even important issues, yet we insist on offending people over them anyway.  What a waste.

Roll Eyes

That makes as much sense as me saying, "Well, healthcare isn't an issue to me. My family is fine so it's not even important."

This is why certain people can't have a debate with you. Don't dismiss social issues as unimportant because that basically dismisses those of us that feel that they are important as idiots.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 01:20:04 AM »

Basically what JS said....and not just because I don't want to have to live my life after death with a bunch of goats(e), though that is important, too... I want to live in a place where we have an economy that actually allows us to pursue our other interests...a society where one fights for pursuing their own idea of a good life....where power...both through wealth and political authority is limited by the will of others. Where people can strive to be all that they can be without having to be silenced. As such, I oppose corporate power, the concentration of wealth and power through social engineering and unchecked governmental power.

It's so frustrating to see just how many people we are alienating with our pointless positions on social issues.  They're not even important issues, yet we insist on offending people over them anyway.  What a waste.

Roll Eyes

That makes as much sense as me saying, "Well, healthcare isn't an issue to me. My family is fine so it's not even important."

This is why certain people can't have a debate with you. Don't dismiss social issues as unimportant because that basically dismisses those of us that feel that they are important as idiots.

Well, I have heard of the "marginal case" argument from Bono and maybe it does have some merit... I just believe that a lot of these social issues don't actually help people (abortion will still happen, even if you lock up hundreds of thousands of women) and are simply too risky to discuss.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 01:39:53 AM »

Thank you for the Sunday School lesson Soj.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2009, 09:15:17 AM by brittain33 »

Another factor in why I became a Democrat:

I lived in a town that invested to build a suite of brand-new schools for baby boomer children in the mid-1950s (elementary schools) and late 50s/early 60s (junior highs and high school). Thirty years later, I went to classes in run-down, overcrowded facilities because the adults "didn't like taxes" and let them rot. The answer to everything was no. No, you can't. No, we can't. Yes, they did it in the 1950s, but everything is different now, so we'll put out buckets in the Science hallway when it rains because taxes are bad.

This is why "Yes, we can" is meaningful.

Interestingly enough, now that the Baby Boomers' children are in the upper schools, they've all been renovated and expanded. I don't recognize any of the pictures. Property taxes really are pretty high--$12,000 a year in middle-class communities in N.J. Still, you break even if you have at least two children in the public schools.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »

I can only imagine how many liberal heads would explode if a conservative said this. Not a swipe at you, JS. Just pointing out the double standard of some of your friends. 

I think you're right, Phil.  Simply put.

The fact is, I think people who come to conservative conclusions based on their reading of the Bible are wrong.  BUT -- I refuse to believe that they come to those conclusions on the basis of hate or ignorance. Take Jmfcst for instance.  He and I disagree monunmentally.  But I really respect his love for God, for the Scriptures and I am certain he believes as he does because he is trying to live his faith in a faithful and honorable way.

I would, of course, make exceptions for the few religious folks (just like the small minority of Atheists and secularists) who do say outright hateful things.  Fred Phelps comes to mind among theists.  Among non-theists, there are a few here who -- I am sorry to say -- could take a lesson from folks like Torie.  You can be a "good atheist or agnostic" without having to be a dick about it.

And the Catholic church bashing is just over the top absurd.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:28 PM »

LOL --  attendance is always optional.  :-)
Stampever
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »

It's the closest thing that I believe in.  Unfortunately, there is no "blue dog party."  It would be a bigger party than what remains of the existing democratic party after the blue dogs pulled out.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »

Don't go there!  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »

I dont like organized religion and organized politics.  I believe in God and I believe in Politics but I don't want to be part of some organization for either.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »

Values Reason:  I am a pluralist and believe both national leaders in their discourse and the government in its policies should respect the dignity and protect the freedoms of all the nation's citizens.

Philosophically Political Reason:  Despite its many obvious flaws (because like all other institutions it is a quite imperfectly human one), I don't think the government is an abstract monstrosity than only should protect negative rights and distribute money on defense, business tax cuts and infrastructure (though it should distribute money on such things).  I think government represents what the nation's citizens as a whole decide to do together,  and therefore should acknowlddge positive rights and actively seek solutions to challenges the whole nation faces.

Practical Reason:  Republicans at the national level have not governed too well for some time.  Not that Democrats are governing gods or anything of the kind, but when one compares results...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

I was informed that it came with a free peerage. This turned out not to be the case.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

It's the closest thing that I believe in.  Unfortunately, there is no "blue dog party."  It would be a bigger party than what remains of the existing democratic party after the blue dogs pulled out.
The Blue Dogs and Rockefeller republicans should get together and form a new party.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies