Why are you a member of the party you are? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:49:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are you a member of the party you are? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are you a member of the party you are?  (Read 4122 times)
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« on: January 31, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »

What draws you to being in the party you currently identify with?

Is it worth it?

Do you stick with the party even if you disagree with consensus?

Would you consider a different party if the situation wasn't to your liking?

What would make you make the switch?

Do you think affiliating with the party helps you understand politics better? Does it, for lack of a better phrase, "give you a better perspective"?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »

Does the Democratic Party's track record lend itself to that ideal?
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2009, 08:48:11 PM by Earth »

Does the Democratic Party's track record lend itself to that ideal?
More so than the Republican party, yes.

Without political parties, people would just be unorganized, opinionated blowhards. Unorganized political action is generally ineffective. I'm a leftist, so I picked the more leftist of the bigger two parties. Organization is key to getting anything accomplished. Can you imagine 435 independents debating in the House?

Kill me.

To the both of you, why pick from the major parties? Is it because they're the only ones who stand a chance it winning elections?

2. Republicans still think the Iraq war was a good idea.  Democrats have realized it was not.

What about the idea of proclaiming the Iraq War to be a negative from the start? The way you phrase it leaves the idea (correctly) that the Democrats, at first, thought it was a good undertaking. In total, 111 Democrats voted yes for the war. From an anti-war standpoint, doesn't that make it seem like they're towing the line?

This is easy:I am leftist, and the Democrats are the most leftist party. I also am not a fan of policies that create rigid class lines, no healthcare for 50 million Americans, and failed states.

But the Democrats aren't actually leftists. Compared to Europeans, "our" left are a bunch of conservatives. To me, it doesn't look like any of the actions made by the Democrats amount to tearing down class lines, but inadvertently reinforcing them.

-

The problem I see plauging the political landscape is very much apparent here as well; picking between a simple dichotomy of American "left" vs. "right". 
Earth

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »

Its the foresighted party, the one that thinks rather than be chained to ideology.

It's ideology seems, to an outsider like myself, to be fully wrapped up in the same old garb, indistinguishable from corporate america. If it's a failure of mine to correctly illustrate their agenda, it's because they have none, and not in a positive way, but one of constant shifting, for their own benefit. It looks like populism within an authoritarian mindset. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies