17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:05:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27045 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 15, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
« edited: February 15, 2018, 01:47:49 PM by ProudModerate2 »

More like (trump will say) "there are good people on both sides" (the students vs this white supremacist group).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »

Didn't Paul Ryan say this after the death of so many in Las Vegas?
That is all he does .... he defends the NRA and does nothing in the House to keep our kids and citizens safe.
And more and more, they (and the NRA) want America to believe that it is a "mental health issue" instead of GUNS. What a joke.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »

I wonder if this has to do with circumcision. European countries hardly ever circumcise their kids, especially lately, and there are virtually no mass shootings, mass stabbings etc.

by gods, have we stumbled on the secret for peace in the middle east?

*Hides automatic rifle*
NO!!! How have you discovered our secret?!?!

What is wrong with some of you?
How can you find such bizarre humor in this tragic event?
There are families out there who have lost loved ones. That are dealing with burying their kids.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:15:53 PM »

As a start to gun control in this country, we need to ban any and all assault (most auto and semi-auto) weapons to people in the general public. There is absolutely no reason for people to own these weapons. They are designed for one thing and one thing only .... to kill people en masse.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »

Semi-automatic rifles are no more dangerous than semi-automatic hand guns, they are more likely to jam and are less concealable.

For 9 years the deadliest mass shooting in modern history, Virginia Tech, was executed with the use of a 9mm handgun and a .22 handgun. Handguns were also exclusively used in Kileen, Texas (1991) 23 killed; Edmond, Oklahoma (1985) 15 killed; Binghamton, New York (2009) 14 killed; and Fort Hood (2009) 13 killed.

Banning semi- automatic rifles specifically doesn't make any sense.

Yes, shootings happen because of other guns too. But please explain to me why would anyone need a semi-automatic rifle? Yes, gun control should focus on other issues too, but semi-automatic rifles should definitely be banned. There's just no single legit reason to keeping them so available.

Hunting.

If you're going to ban rifles you might as well ban handguns too because they're equally efficient at mass killings. Las Vegas is the only incident I can think of where the use of rifles made a difference.

Haha

Anyone who hunts with a semi-automatic weapon is a loser. Seriously, how bad at hunting do you need to be to have a weapon that assists you in any way? If you need one of those to hunt, you shouldn't be allowed to go hunting because you're already probably a tremendous failure at it.

Please tell us what experience you have with hunting, especially for large game that can actually kill you if you aren't careful. 

This is a sentiment I've heard from pretty much every recreational and/or subsistence hunter who I have ever engaged with on the subject. As for me, I have zero interest in ever hunting so I actually have no dog in this fight (and am agnostic on certain types of gun control). I'm just here to rustle your jimmies. If you guys want to go hunting with an semi, be my guest, just know there are whole communities of sportsmen who think you're a weenie.

Kids these days with their fancy technology, right? I for one never use these fancy 'bicycles' or 'cars' to get places. As for hunting, I don't know why anyone should need anything more than a crudely sharpened stick - if you're not chasing game dozens of kilometers across the savanna to tire it out before the kill, you shouldn't be hunting at all!

My man. Glad we're on the same page here 👌

Funny that you seem to be speaking about entire communities that you are not a part of, and only know a small handful of folks who are a part of them.

Uneducated, delusional lefties who know nothing about guns and hunting really have no business speaking about it. Take your Clozapine and move on.

I love how hunting becomes the major, fateful issue, rather than dozens of school shootings every year. But oh, sure, be comfortable with your hunting... the murdered teenagers can wait.

These guns are used A LOT more in hunting and recreational shooting and not harming people than they are in mass shootings. Clearly the gun isn't the issue.

This is one of the worst arguments ever.
What planet are some of you from? Good God!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 03:37:36 PM »

Sorry, but this is a disappointingly flawed argument.

You just don't like that a valid argument doesn't fit your narrative.

...No, it just doesn't make any sense. Like, 0 sense. Saying X is not the problem because it's also used for good purposes is not a valid argument when X is used by people in the only western country X is easily accessed to do dozens of shootings a year.
Let me be honest- when arguing with your side (cultural conservatives) about various issues, even abortion, I sometimes struggle to find counter arguments. But this gun debate is the easiest one of them all- I'm serious when I say that I found no logical or challenging argument out of any of the anti-gun control arguments in this thread thus far. The only ones that might make sense are Joey's, and he only opposes one specific measure that I support.

Well for starters, I'm not a cultural conservative. But nice try.

And what I am saying is looking at facts. The vast majority of these guns you hate aren't used for a purpose that involves killing humans, especially in America. So to blame them for mass shootings because they were used in a small handful of events is just plain silly and ignores the truth. If you take away this particular "type" of gun, you do nothing to stop someone who has decided they wanted to harm a large number of people from actually doing it. They'll just find another way. And then we are back to square one again because you're ignoring the real issue.

LOL.
We are "ignoring the real issue?"
The real issue is GUNS.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 04:45:10 PM »

You have a guy who gave VERY CLEAR warning signs that he was going to do something like this, and nothing was done to stop it. The same can be said for many other mass shootings and terrorist attacks. But sure, let's blame the gun when it's clearly the fault of the shooter and the incompetent folks who could have stopped this long before getting to the gun part.

And as for your "assault rifles are more dangerous than hunting rifles" bit I'll just quote the explanation that proved you wrong in another thread:

You still haven't come up with a valid reason as to why gun control wouldn't work in the USA when it has worked literally everywhere else in the world where it has been implemented.

You have a situation where people are being killed on a regular basis; not just a very obvious cause, but a very obvious solution as to how to save lives, and yet you look all over the place to try and find a reason as to why guns aren't an insurmountable and unavoidable part of the problem.

Plenty of countries have equally awful records in detection/treatment/prevention when it comes to identifying individuals at risk of causing these sorts of instances - but none of them experience mass shooting with anything like the degree the US does. I mean, this is Occam's razor at it's most basic - if it looks like fish and smells like a fish, it very probably is one.

THIS. You keep deflecting to "you're wrong on this type of gun" or "oh, the FBI was incompetent in this particular instance" but blatantly ignoring the huge elephant in the room- you have so many shootings in your country, and your country only. I honestly always try to see and respect views opposite to mine, but I really can't find any excuse for you here. It's as if you're fine with letting teenagers die, just because you want to stubbornly hold onto your hundreds-of-years obsession with some ancient right to carry items designed to kill things.

No one said we were fine with letting teenagers die.
We just don't like terrible, unrealistic approaches based on emotions that solve nothing.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies