Which describes Mormonism better?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:18:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Which describes Mormonism better?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Moron...I mean Mormonism?
A genuine form of Protestant Christianity

A cult form of Christianity

A neither Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant form of Christianity

Not Christianity

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Which describes Mormonism better?  (Read 5272 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 03:36:37 AM »
« edited: February 09, 2015, 03:39:28 AM by Zioneer »

Anything other than Option 3 is ignorance, or prejudice as our "esteemed" afleitch so shows.

Joseph Smith sexually harassed women. He said, as cult founders often do, that he was commanded by god to essentially take what he pleased. There is account after account after account even from before his 'revelation'. The man was a charlatan and I make no apology in saying that.

The fact that Mormonism gets discussed in such hallowed 'academic' terms even on this forum is a testament to how ingrained it is now. Even though it's founder was clearly a deluded, self aggrandizing sexual predator.

You make no apology for villainizing an entire religion, I see. Clearly you're unbiased.

Though I don't remember you being so hostile to Mormonism last year or in 2013. Dunno why you're acidic towards us now.

By adding new texts as Holy Writ, the Mormons have created a tradition as distinct from other branches of Christianity as Roman Catholicism is from Protestantism or Eastern Orthodoxy.

And a growing canon to boot.

Yeah, I would consider Mormonism a distinct tradition; you could perhaps call it millennial protestantism at first, but now it is is own tradition within Christianity.

Also, I predict that there will be new scripture within the LDS Church in less than 10 years.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »

Also, I predict that there will be new scripture within the LDS Church in less than 10 years.

Like a whole new book along with the Bible, Mormon etc, or do you mean something smaller?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »

I think it was option 2 in its first few decades, but has long since changed to option 3.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

Like a whole new book along with the Bible, Mormon etc, or do you mean something smaller?

It could go either way. My guess is something smaller, like a few additions to the Doctrine and Covenants, but an whole new book (likely a small book though; nothing as big as the Book of Mormon) could happen.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:54 AM »

It could go either way. My guess is something smaller, like a few additions to the Doctrine and Covenants, but an whole new book (likely a small book though; nothing as big as the Book of Mormon) could happen.

Can you elaborate about this? What the book (or additions) is/are likely to contain? This seems very interesting.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37:21 AM »

Can you elaborate about this? What the book (or additions) is/are likely to contain? This seems very interesting.

Well, for one thing, both the standard Christian works (Old and New Testament) and the Book of Mormon have references to "lost" books. Like the Book of Jasher, or the random books mentioned in Kings and Chronicles. And in the Book of Mormon, it repeatedly makes reference to the books of people like Zenos and others that are featured in the BoM. Plus it mentions that the current Book of Mormon is not everything that the ancient Nephites/Lamanites wrote (if you go by the LDS Church's view of the BoM being a historical document). And possibly additions to the Pearl of Great Price. That's more large-scale stuff though, in the immediate future (say, 10 years) I imagine that there will be gradual things added to the Doctrine and Covenants.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 03:03:56 AM »

Option 1.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 01:24:13 PM »

I probably shouldn't have put Protestant in the first sentence, to make the poll more clear.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies