Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:30:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307131 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:52 AM »

I propose another amendment adding a new section stating:

1. Schools in the Southeast shall be exempt from this statue

rofl.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #476 on: June 28, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »

People’s Referendum Amendment

Whensoever legislation is signed into law by the President, .... containing the Act as signed by the President

What if legislation becomes law thanks to presidential inaction, or is vetoed and overridden?

Fair point, I overlooked that. I'll amend the wording to try and accomodate these scenarios.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #477 on: June 28, 2007, 09:03:58 PM »

Not only is BRTD's new legislation too many ideas clumped in one, but I don't know if having a bill whose title is filtered by our servers is a good idea
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #478 on: June 29, 2007, 05:30:47 PM »

By my count it looks like only 6 (Yates Act, Dean Act, US Act, Friendly Amendments, Copyrights, and Acceptance of Science) bills are out on the floor right now.  Shouldn't we have 7?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #479 on: June 29, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »

By my count it looks like only 6 (Yates Act, Dean Act, US Act, Friendly Amendments, Copyrights, and Acceptance of Science) bills are out on the floor right now.  Shouldn't we have 7?

No
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »

I ask for my Repeal of Puerto Rico Statehood Act to be treated as emergency legislation to stop it from being including in the redistricting
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #481 on: July 05, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »

I ask for my Repeal of Puerto Rico Statehood Act to be treated as emergency legislation to stop it from being including in the redistricting

Are any Senators strongly in favor or opposed to treating this as emergency legislation?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #482 on: July 05, 2007, 07:13:43 PM »

Are any Senators strongly in favor or opposed to treating this as emergency legislation?

It can't be done, there is no power that says the Senate can remove states from the Union. Before Puerto Rico became a state we had to pass an amendment to the constitution that said the Senate could add states, you'd have to do the same to remove a state (a stupid power, means that any state could be removed).

DWTL just wants it because he thinks he knows what's best, ignore him.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #483 on: July 05, 2007, 09:42:27 PM »

I don't see how this is emergency legislation.  I don't even know whether the Senate has to the power to undo a state's admittance to Atlasia, frankly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #484 on: July 05, 2007, 11:01:03 PM »

It could be considered as forum affairs legislation whic has it own queue.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

Even if you tried to put it in there as forum affairs legislation (I don't really see how it is) you still need to pass an amendment before you can remove a state from the Union (which is a stupid thing to do).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #486 on: July 06, 2007, 10:16:22 AM »

Even if you tried to put it in there as forum affairs legislation (I don't really see how it is) you still need to pass an amendment before you can remove a state from the Union (which is a stupid thing to do).

The amendment is in the queue and I ask the new PPT upon taking office to put this into the Constitutional Amendments slot, then the removal of Puerto Rico bill after this amendment passes.  I know you may take this personally as the person who wanted Puerto Rico, but you shouldn't, it isn't personal it is simply the current (not former) senators seem to think should be done (or at least a few of us)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2007, 10:20:09 AM »

The amendment is in the queue and I ask the new PPT upon taking office to put this into the Constitutional Amendments slot, then the removal of Puerto Rico bill after this amendment passes.  I know you may take this personally as the person who wanted Puerto Rico, but you shouldn't, it isn't personal it is simply the current (not former) senators seem to think should be done (or at least a few of us)

How can you not take it personal when there is absolutly no reason to remove it? If you can't have it in a map put text beneath the map saying "Puerto Rico is in District #" and redistricting isn't a problem since of the way the original legislation is made up. There is no reason for it to happen except you wanting to remove it for no reason.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2007, 10:22:01 AM »

How can you not take it personal when there is absolutly no reason to remove it? If you can't have it in a map put text beneath the map saying "Puerto Rico is in District #" and redistricting isn't a problem since of the way the original legislation is made up. There is no reason for it to happen except you wanting to remove it for no reason.

I want to remove it because I think Puerto Rico should not be a state.  This is a subject perfectly reasonable people can disagree on.  You seem to think I want to eliminate Puerto Rico as a state because you made it a state.  As someone who's vote I valued in the last election (remember that your vote put me in office so I am grateful), that is not the case.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2007, 10:23:05 AM »

I want to remove it because I think Puerto Rico should not be a state.  This is a subject perfectly reasonable people can disagree on.  You seem to think I want to eliminate Puerto Rico as a state because you made it a state.  As someone who's vote I valued in the last election (remember that your vote put me in office so I am grateful), that is not the case.

It's the same as saying I don't think New Jersey should be a state. That's not a reason to remove it from statehood because you don't want it there.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: July 06, 2007, 10:25:12 AM »

It's the same as saying I don't think New Jersey should be a state. That's not a reason to remove it from statehood because you don't want it there.

Not only is New Jersey contiguous to the United States, it also was an original 13 colony, not a state added on a whim.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #491 on: July 06, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

Not only is New Jersey contiguous to the United States, it also was an original 13 colony, not a state added on a whim.

Still the same thing as you are saying. You don't think Puerto Rico should be a state so you think it should be gone. I don't think New Jersey should be a state so I think it should be gone.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: July 06, 2007, 10:27:31 AM »

Still the same thing as you are saying. You don't think Puerto Rico should be a state so you think it should be gone. I don't think New Jersey should be a state so I think it should be gone.

However, under the amendment I introduced removing New Jersey as a state would not be an option.  Also, it makes no sense that Puerto Rico would have voted for statehood after turning it down multiple times.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #493 on: July 06, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

However, under the amendment I introduced removing New Jersey as a state would not be an option.  Also, it makes no sense that Puerto Rico would have voted for statehood after turning it down multiple times.

Puerto Rico has voted down statehood barely each time, and I do mean barely. If they would have been given the option of statehood and independence they would have chosen statehood. The only reason they didn't want to become a state is because of paying certain taxes so they can have the benefits of being American citizens without most of the cost. And I am talking about IRL here.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #494 on: July 06, 2007, 10:32:51 AM »

Puerto Rico has voted down statehood barely each time, and I do mean barely. If they would have been given the option of statehood and independence they would have chosen statehood. The only reason they didn't want to become a state is because of paying certain taxes so they can have the benefits of being American citizens without most of the cost. And I am talking about IRL here.

Well then, I guess we'll have to see how my bill pans out.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

Constitutional Amendment to Remove States

1.) The government of Atlasia reserves the power to remove states who have entered the union after December 31, 2003.
2.) The government of Atlasia also reserves the power to combine states following a simple majority vote of the citizens of that state

This has ambiguities - "government of Atlasia" is an amorphous concept as presented in the text - as you know our government is made up of three branches - were you planning to vest the power in one particular branch, or can the President simply kick Puerto Rico out by Executive Order?

Previous Amendments have included language such as "The Senate shall have power..." to clearly delegate such powers to the Senate. My only other quibble is that the Second Constitution always capitalised State, and for consistency I would like that retained.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #496 on: July 09, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »

Could the VP and PPT (is the new one elected yet?) possibly move the Commission bill I introduced to the top of the list. I think it's very important that is debated because our relationship with the United States is essential.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: July 09, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »

Could the VP and PPT (is the new one elected yet?) possibly move the Commission bill I introduced to the top of the list. I think it's very important that is debated because our relationship with the United States is essential.

I plan to introduce it as an amendment to the current bill
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #498 on: July 12, 2007, 09:30:54 AM »

I have long been of the opinion that the budget is an unwarranted addition to Atlasian politics. Last November, I introduced a constitutional amendment to end the budgetary process which was eventually defeated by a minority of the people. Since then, no movement on passing a budget has been attempted. Though during the Presidential race certain candidates indicated their various wishes regarding the budget, nobody has shown any initiative to change anything.

A few days ago, the Senate voted to once again chose to effectively ignore the budget issue. The Budget thread has been open for some time now and no contributions, ideas or comments of any kind have been entered.

The Budget is a redundant process and I reccomend that it once again be put to the people that it is better removed rather than carry on a pretence that is is of relevance. I therefore ask any Senator who agrees with my position, to introduce the following amendment to the Senate for consideration.

End the Budget Amendment

That Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution be removed.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #499 on: July 12, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »

I would like to say that the views of Jas reflect the views of the entire administration and such an amendment would have the full and complete backing of the executive.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies