The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 12:13:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 388244 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 03:29:15 PM »

Context:

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

I find the hyperfeminist internet virgins to be the most insufferable.

As an insufferable internet sexist and bigot, memphis has no high ground from which to find anybody else insufferable, except maybe somebody like Cory.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »

As an insufferable internet sexist and bigot, memphis has no high ground from which to find anybody else insufferable, except maybe somebody like Cory.

While I agree that memphis certainly has a whole bunch of unexamined sexism going on, I'm not sure where "bigot" enters into the equation.

Memphis, generally an ignoramus, hates religion and the religious.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. It's not, perhaps, quite as bad as some other types of bigotry, in that religion is in theory something that can be chosen (and is chosen, for many people), but it's still a type of bigotry.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 04:58:57 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2013, 05:02:01 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

He's amusing, pleasant.  Unlike your prude-crew.

No, you're amusing and pleasant (after a fashion). It's of course really not the same thing as being a dull, uncreative clod. Thank you for not being a dull, uncreative clod, opebo!

I don't feel the need to be considered particularly amusing or pleasant in this context.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 10:31:05 PM »

Uh, who are you? If I am going to be insulted, can I at least be insulted by Al or Oakvale or Grumps or somebody I know?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »

Aren't Kitteh and hifly both fascist bigots?

No.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 07:24:54 AM »

I'll have to go with the post-hardcore Brand New-esque version of "All Creatures of Our God and King" my church does.

So 'All Creatures of Our God and King' then? Or does it loose something when people use pesky church organs?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »

How insular of you, Lief. Traveling up the Hudson Valley is a truly glorious experience, particularly during fall color season (in my opinion, the most beautiful river valley in the US, going away). Just take the train to Albany; it runs right along the river. My duplex pad is just four blocks from the train station. That was one of its attractions.

My best friend lives near Albany, and I've unfortunately had occasion to spend a lot of time in New Jersey in my life, so this is a trip I've made a lot. It really is gorgeous.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2013, 05:49:14 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I say this with nothing but love of course but the phrase "advanced moral development" makes my skin crawl I have to admit.

I'm not particularly fond of it either and wish I'd phrased that better, but I was in a hurry and Lawrence Kohlberg's 'stages of moral development' was what popped into my head even though I don't normally put much stock in it. I've had a busy day. Sorry.

All that I meant, really, was any type of moral consideration that differentiates one from one of B.F. Skinner's pigeons.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »

I'm not particularly fond of it either and wish I'd phrased that better, but I was in a hurry

Stop being so inksing spineless, Nathan.

It's only Oakvale's opinion on the phrasing that I care about, really.

Whenever Nathan talks about sex, he makes crude ethical utilitarianism appealing.

I had that problem once. In my experience the temptation usually passes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 11:48:54 PM »

Context:

Depends.  Are we talking about the U.S. Constitution or the Chinese Constitution?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »

Remind me again how much better 90% of what Silicon Valley has done has made my life or anyone else's better.
Interesting complaint to make on an internet forum.

These are people who use other people's money to make "apps" that no one wants to use, that generate no revenue, and that produce no returns for shareholders.

Sure, no one uses technology from silicon valley...

Find me a tech company that has actually had positive earnings per share over the past year. Find me a tech company that has paid a dime of earnings to their shareholders. Explain why anyone outside of the Bay Area should give a crap that you coded an app that lets people arrange for helicopters to take them to work because the icky, unwashed BART workers are on strike since your presence in the city has made living there unaffordable for them.

Apple is either number one or two in profits in the world.

That's not really sulfuric. I think it does a valuable service in correcting some of the rhetorical excesses of a line of thinking to which I'm generally inclined to be sympathetic, but I don't think it's really sulfuric.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 05:36:34 PM »

Also, are you too ignorant to understand that under Ian Smith the country was not a colonial state?

That's true, the rebel regime was not internationally recognised (not even by its South African allies) and was therefore technically not a 'state'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »

Yes, I'm well aware of who this post is by, but credit where credit is due. A bit simple, but not much more really needs to be said.

You and your friends are really classy.

(Context)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »

NewYorkExpress, if you don't mind me asking: do you write for Family Circus?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:19 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 09:45:58 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

Do you still believe homosexuality is a choice? If so, that could arguably be a bannable offense...

Wow, did you really just say that?

I will ask this again.  Believing what the Bible, which is inerrant and infallible, says about homosexuality is now a bannable offense?  I guess there is no freedom of religion and beliefs in this place anymore.

This is a private website, not a government entity under any kind of obligation to uphold the First Amendment in its dealings with its members. This line of argument demeans us, it demeans you, and most importantly it demeans the Bible, by implicitly positing that it isn't worth actually analyzing or critically but faithfully engaging with in any way and can't stand up to the slightest amount of such analysis or critical engagement from those of us who don't belong to whatever cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs subvariety of snake-belly Low Church Protestantism it is that you do. Simfan, Harry, and I are all Christians and we all think this is an absolute joke. Positing Biblical inerrancy doesn't have to be a form of theological concern trolling, but it is as often as not.

Exceptionally good part underlined.
That is a great post, but I do enjoy 'me some good old fashion cuckoo for cocoa puffs snake belly low church protestantism.

Do keep in mind I'm referring to doctrine more than style when I say that. Bushie's church actually seems quite staid and normal stylistically. Doctrinal elements that I'd consider 'cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs' include, in no particular order, Biblical literalism (bonus points when John 6.55 is somehow exempted from this in order to support an ultra-memorialist understanding of the Eucharist), young Earth creationism, complementarianism to the point of believing that the gender roles of first-century Israel are themselves binding on present-day society, soteriology that's sola fide to the point of antinomianism (which is perhaps the biggest single problem in Bushie's life), excessively gracious interpretation of the idea of the priesthood of all believers, insistently stressed belief in double predestination (as opposed to just having it in the doctrine somewhere and not making too huge a deal out of it on an everyday basis), and premillennial dispensationalist eschatology. None of these are on their own quite enough to make an entire church cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, but a church that exhibits two or more of them in my experience almost always is. Bushie's church teaches at least three by my count, maybe more. Note that the presence of all of them creates a truly bizarre mishmash of stereotypically Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, and Reformed elements that collapses under its own self-reflecting ponderancy forthwith.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That sounds like a good time, though not in a way that I, being as High Church as I am, would consider a particularly religious experience.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 03:18:18 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Yeah, your church is a little whackadoodle in that respect but the fact that you don't have any of those other traits means you're more or less okay by me. You are ultra-memorialist but since you don't claim to be Biblical literalists in the first place that doesn't bother me as much.

There's a too-liberal cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs spectrum as well as a too-conservative one but your church seems to be Trinitarian so I doubt it would check many of those marks either.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »

And, of course, X's response:

Evidently you didn't have excellent grades and public exam results either.

You're starting to raise serious concerns about the types of values Oxford is instilling in its students.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »

Worst of all Snowstalker is not a literal baby, his ability to post on an Internet forum proves that he is not an infant.

Insults are one of the few instances in which using 'literal' figuratively doesn't bother me, as it happens.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

I'd rather be a little prick than a swaggering, overly-aggresive git who mimics the symptoms of Tourette's when irritated.

Ice burn baby. Such an appropriate and hilarious use of a neurological disorder as an insult well. Though I should let you know, for future reference you understand, that 'aggressive' has two, rather than one, 's's in it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »

So Democrats are rioting and burning down their own commercial districts and economic opportunities. Tell us something we didn't already know.

Ferguson is a microcosm. Democratic voters can only rage, and give world-class amateur productions of Les Miserable. Republicans sit in the audience with their popcorn buckets and evaluate the individual performances.

Sharpton could use some acting lessons, imo.

Do you even believe the sh**t you type? A man was killed. His murderer walks free. His community reacts. And that's what you call a world class amateur production? Well you're a piece of sh**t. You probably live in your safe little world in who ing knows where, and honestly who cares. The opinion of trash is meaningless. I know I'm gonna get death points for this but I hope you read this before it disappears. You will never understand injustice. You will never understand loss. You will never understand oppression because the system works for you, and only you. But you don't know that, and so you feel safe to look down on those who are oppressed and judge them for standing up for themselves. So fu.ck you you piece of sh**t.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

困る
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2016, 03:56:09 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies