Opinion of Universal Basic Income (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:12:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Universal Basic Income (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Policy

Horrible Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Opinion of Universal Basic Income  (Read 17269 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:03 AM »

Freedom policy in conjunction with a comprehensive welfare state providing free access to other basic goods and services, and not as a substitute for all that.

Doesn't seem all that expensive to me either. Let's say we make it $1000 a month - that would be $12,000 a year. Based on DC's chart, that would cover about 10% of households (does this reweight income by household size, btw? Because it's a pretty meaningless chart otherwise). That would be around 12.5 million households. But you don't have to give $12,000 to each, just enough for them to get to $12,000. A majority of them seem like they already make more than half that much, so let's say on average we give around $5000 each. That's a total cost of around $60 billion, ie 1.5% of the federal budget. You can easily pay for it by scrapping one or two useless military programs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »

Fair point. The thing is, I'm not really concerned with "perverse incentives" because, to be honest, I don't want to encourage people to work. I think people should work if they want to, but I don't subscribe to the visions of society wherein employment should be the ultimate goal of an individual. The current economic system makes it perfectly possible to guarantee everyone a comfortable existence even if a significant share of the workforce doesn't participate, provided sufficient redistribution.

Still, if my estimate was too conservative, let's triple it: still less than 5% of the budget. It would require a few changes to pay for it, but would still be far from having a prohibitive cost.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »

I'll just say that calling it a "tax" in this context is highly disingenuous.

Of course my preferred solution would be a much more expansive minimum income with no clawbacks whatsoever, to be funded through hyper-progressive income taxes, but I'd settle for a more restrictive proposal that still does a lot of good if it's more politically feasible.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »

FP in theory, but, just like Communism, HP in practice.

makes u think
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies