Opinion of Universal Basic Income (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Universal Basic Income (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Policy

Horrible Policy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Opinion of Universal Basic Income  (Read 17265 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 06, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »

Seems like a grossly inefficient way to create a reasonable social safety net (particularly if as described by Muon2, with the highly questionable assumption that government should be running companies, and that such companies would ever generate a profit), and without any incentives for life style changes. HP.

One of the World Bank's findings (certainly not a left-leftist institution) in the case of Brazil's Bolsa Família was that a basic income (albeit not a universal one) actually motivated its recipients to take on more economic risk (implicit in which is more ~entrepreneurship~, et cetera), because they had something simple and easy to understand to fall back on if their ventures failed. I'm also not sure how it's less 'efficient' than the bewildering array of piecemail bits of netting that the United States and many other countries current have.

I'm with DC Al Fine on this, although I don't understand economics and finance nearly as well as he does and, who knows, if I did I might disagree with him.

Voted Freedom Policy, on principle if not necessarily in application.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »

Even though the Luddite position turned out to be misguided in the medium-to-long term, in the immediate term the Industrial Revolution did in fact ruin a lot of people's livelihoods and a lot of communities' local and regional economies. I don't think it's acceptable to leave such people in our own time twisting in the wind just because the labor market will eventually correct itself. (Not that I think ag is suggesting that, but a lot of people with his general outlook do, at least implicitly.)

Relevant.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »

I didn't know you needed strong social skills to work in a factory or construction site.

You didn't?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies