Prairies and Politics : The Tale of Wexit and the United States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:35:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Prairies and Politics : The Tale of Wexit and the United States
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prairies and Politics : The Tale of Wexit and the United States  (Read 429 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »

The crowd of Journalists that had arrived for the improptu Press Briefing was staggering to say the least. Jason smiled as he realized what this meant. He couldn't wait to see the look on the face of the Toronto journalists when he finished his statement. He looked at his phone and smiled. Moe had sent him a single worded text. "Ready?" it asked. He texted back that he was and finally walked out.

As he approached the podium, the press quieted down, ready to hear him speak. He smiled slightly. It was time to tell them something they wouldn't believe. "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for coming here. I'm honored to see so many here." He began before clearing his throat and continuing. "For the last few years, the Western provinces of Canada has been abused by the Administration of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. I've recently finished talks with British Columbia's Premier John Horgan, Manitoba's Premier Brian Pallister, and Saskatchewan's Premier Scott Moe and we agreed to speak for the last week or so with the Prime Minister." He paused, taking in the curious gazes of the anchors and reporters. They were wondering what these talks meant and why all four western premiers met with Trudeau. Well, he was going to tell them why.

"Yesterday, we call came to an agreement. We believe that it is for the best interests of our provinces that this issue is settled once and for all. Now, the issue I've been talking about is separatism." He stopped and took in the stunned faces of the anchors around him. At the same time, Horgan, Pallister, and Moe were giving the exact same statements and likely getting the same reactions. "Recently, the idea of separatism has sprung up, with several separatist 'Wexit' organizations filing for official party status in all four provinces following the 2019 elections. Recent polling has shown that the citizens of these Provinces feel less connected to the government in Ottawa that has determined that the way we handle our resources isn't good enough. That they believe they are more knowledgeable than us on the issues that our provinces face.

When we spoke with the Prime Minister about the idea, he didn't seem too interested in the idea, just laughing at the idea and saying we can give the go ahead. And so, we will. On March 1st of this year, the provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan will hold referendums on whether to remain in the federation or leave it and become independent entities on our own. Now, undoubtedly, there will be questions of the legality of the referendums due to the Clarity Act. Despite it's name, the Clarity Act is not very clear at all and is instead extremely vague. The first step is a province wide referendum with a clear question. The size of majority support required by referendum is not defined. The House of Commons recently did indeed vote that the question we were posing was indeed clear and we have already made discussions with delegations from the First Nations who understand the plans.

The Prime Minister has agreed that any referendum that reaches more than 51% will be pushed through and allowed through the House of Commons. Campaigning for the referendum vote will begin in three days. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen." Suddenly, the entire room filled with journalists asking questions, asking what was happening and the like. The Premier simply collected his things and walked out. He was certain the referendum was going to push through and win in all 4 provinces, even if Horgan and Pallister wouldn't like it. When that happened, the four would begin the transition to Independent nations of their own. As for the question that would be on everyone's mind considering their neighbors in the south, well, he would let the people decide that as well.

New York Times

January 7th, 2020

1:11 PM

Canada's four western premiers announced separatist referendums for their provinces. Is it legal?

The Hill

January 7th, 2020

1:23 PM

Canada's Four Western Provinces to hold Separatist Referendum, could joining the US be next?

Vox News

January 7th, 2020

1:32 PM

Canada Separation Referendum could become an issue in the Presidential Election

Fox News

January 7th, 2020

1: 36 PM

'Canada Separatism' term skyrockets on Google Search after Premier's announcements

Start of a mini-TL I'm doing for fun. I started reaching the topic of Wexit a day or so ago and it's actually quite interesting. Interestingly enough, this topic has yet to be touched by Atlas, which I'm impressed by. If any Canadian atlasians who are more knowledgeable about the topic than myself want to help, feel free to offer your services as I admit I'm not 100 % on everything going on in Canadian Politics. In case anyone is curious, the briefing took place at 12:48 PM and pretend the Trump tweet happens on January 7th, 2020. Anyways, enjoy.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »

I think that the Democrats could win the Canadian breakaways because of Healthcare and the Premier of BC is a left winger. I wonder what will happen to Quebec and American and Canadian Politics as Most of the Conservative Party will be in the US and The NDP will be weakened as some of it’s MPs would be in the US and Jagmeet Singh, and the territories north of Western Canada. Hopefully this won’t die.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies