Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:34:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 28501 times)
elcorazon

« on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »

Every male politician accused of sexual harassment should be replaced by a woman.
For what reason exactly? To make a point? I’d rather have the best possible politician, regardless of gender.

Implying that the best possible politician can’t be a woman.
I’m saying that the best politician could be either. Nobody should be appointed just because of their gender.
half the population is women (actually over half) and how many Senators, Representatives, Presidents, Cabinet Members are women? maybe 10-15%. I don't know. I think there's no reason NOT to have a woman replace EVERY man who resigns over sexual misconduct. It can only improve things!
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

Leeann Tweeden. Didn't I watch some B-movies with her when I was a teen?
you're thinking of Shannon Tweed, I think.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »

Hang on. If he's admitted to it, then what exactly is an ethics investigation gonna do? Lol.

I don't think he's admitted to everything that he's accused of.  Just that it was him in that picture, and that's it, as far as I can tell.

That said, I agree that an investigation doesn't accomplish much.  I guess they'll want a statement from Franken on what he remembers of these events, but is there really much more evidence out there beyond what the two parties say happened?

There were others present when photo was taken. And on the whole tour. Not sure it'll make a difference but there is some factual information that could come out (more likely damning info outside of the picture than exculpatory info)
elcorazon

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »

Trump is easily worse than Moore, just based on what we actually know.
Did you mean Franken? I think Moore is more of a predator than Trump. Both are awful human beings but I still think Moore is the worse sexual predator, based on what we actually know.
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »

The reason so many on both sides defend their own guy is that our society is SO sexist that the bad behavior is pervasive and accepted and as a result, it really doesn't rise to the level of behavior like other criminal behavior, or taboos.
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

I think Franken should resign (and I've said so all along) BUT i  do think that the problems with the allegations are notable. The biggest issue is that it is clear that the culture of the group they were involved in involved lots of risque humor. Within that context, it seems Franken's dumb photo was in that same spirit. The reason I think Franken should be gone is that the most serious allegations involved the skit with the kiss. Now it's possible she's a liar, but I don't think we should doubt her. And to be clear, the photo is more problematic given the kiss. If no unwanted kissing had occurred, I doubt she would've been so upset about the photo. I kinda think (although I admit I'm speculating here) that Leann Tweeden's role in the group was at leastly partly her sexuality. That's likely why you see the photos of her grabbing ass and bumping and grinding on stage. It's quite likely that was part of the act. The Franken photo was not onstage so it doesn't seem necessary or helpful to their act.

Anyway, it's all unfortunate and I'm not sure how much of a predator Franken is, but there really isn't much evidence he's anywhere near any of the others who've been alleged to have engaged in these activities, certainly nowhere near the likes of Weinstein, Moore, Glenn Thrush or Donald Trump.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »

Yea. It's past time, frankly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies