Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:00:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)  (Read 71163 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »

In terms of reading the tea leaves, one must consider the possibility the case is taken to satiate the appetites for a case to occur, as demonstrated last week on the part of the Chief Justice.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »

Please use the Discussion thread.

While I would rather not discuss the details, but their was a presumption that I would be LT's attorney by several parties involved here, who failed to account for my RL situation in late July/August that would preclude such.

This is the source of many of the delays as finding someone who is knowledgeable of the law, maintains a degree of confidence on the part of the client, and most important, has the ability to provide effective representation (as in not weighed down by RL obligations and health issues), is not easy to find.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2021, 11:42:35 AM »

I merged the extraneous posts split off from the court case thread into here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »

2013 here we come.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »

I call on the next administration to impeach Windjammer

Yep, called it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2021, 07:11:58 PM »

Its always hilarious when current group of lefties doesn't like the last group of lefties supreme court majority. Which was 2013 in a nutshell.

Well second act of 2013. The first act was just rank inactivity at a time when a majority of the game did consider it appropriate to moralize about activity (not passing judgement for or against just stating how it was). Then that got picked up by and ran with by Laborites who were angered by the adverse rulings relating to the Pacific business.

All of the mid 2013 court's members ended up voting against Labor's candidates in the October 2013 elections. Bgwah and Ebowed voted for Superique over Tyrion and Opebo for then Federalist Spiral IIRC. Opebo also infamously joined the Federalist Party during that period as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2021, 07:46:42 PM »

Its always hilarious when current group of lefties doesn't like the last group of lefties supreme court majority. Which was 2013 in a nutshell.

Well second act of 2013. The first act was just rank inactivity at a time when a majority of the game did consider it appropriate to moralize about activity (not passing judgement for or against just stating how it was). Then that got picked up by and ran with by Laborites who were angered by the adverse rulings relating to the Pacific business.

All of the mid 2013 court's members ended up voting against Labor's candidates in the October 2013 elections. Bgwah and Ebowed voted for Superique over Tyrion and Opebo for then Federalist Spiral IIRC. Opebo also infamously joined the Federalist Party during that period as well.

For the record, in 2013, Adam simply wanted a labor supreme court instead of a napoleon friendly one (ebowed and bgwah were Napoleon's friends )

Right as I said, "current group of lefties" doesn't like the last group of lefties (JCP) court majority. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2022, 11:18:30 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=492849.0

This is a case study in the break down of communication in this game. The funny thing is with all of the supposed gained abilities that discord was suppose to bring, this was one of them, yet this dynamic has actually gotten worse.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2023, 10:02:15 PM »

I split off and merged some of the arguing from the case thread itself.

Gonna have to ask that we stop throwing insults around immediately and focus on the legal matters in question instead.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2023, 10:26:28 PM »

I absolutely abhor about 95% of what Young Texan says these days, but this is the 5%. I completely concur with all his comments regarding Fairbol and his brief.

Its okay to criticize performance in office, but it is not acceptable to engage in personal attacks in the process. I know it is hard, harder for some, to draw the line appropriately and that unfortunately necessitates that I intervene.

I have long believed that this game can be played by all different kinds of people and as long as it is not overwhelming disruptive, such should not be aggressively dismissed in this fashion.

Beyond that, this forum has rules on personal attacks and those rules will be enforced.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2023, 10:32:36 PM »

YT I am gonna need you to chill for me okay.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2023, 10:37:26 PM »

I’m fine, Yankee, truly.

The Southern Nation will have to respond to Fairbol’s latest drunken tirades.

And there is a way to do that without personal attacks. Highlight record, criticize past performances, but don't attack people's intelligence or devalue them as a person/player.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2023, 11:40:09 AM »

STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS!!!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2023, 02:12:32 PM »

I am locking this thread for 24 hours.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2023, 11:23:52 PM »

Thread re-opened.

It is not my desire to criticize Ishan or anyone else for that matter. However, this situation is one that requires expeditious action for the stability of government.

Surely the Attorney General or someone can fill in as defense attorney for a government agency, or some similar resolution be found?

I think we also need to consider legislation to allow the Department of Elections to revise a count after certification. When Rpryor messed up the April 2017 At-Large House election certification it was fixed within a couple of days and no court case was involved. Considering that I have warned about the decline of the efficacy of the judicial system (its not the justices fault, more a cultural shift and other factors in Atlasia at large), hinging something like this on the ability of the judicial system to quickly intervene and resolve a situation is now too big an ask barring a dramatic shift back to how these things worked in the 2010s.

Mistakes will happen, voters overlooked (as happened in 2017) or wrongly included etc and relying on a complex process for resolution is unwise when we used to have a much simpler way to resolve this kind of thing, and we have to be mindful of the limits of the game as it is. 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2023, 07:50:41 PM »

FairBol, how have you spent all this time on a politics forum and involved in politics IRL and not understand what a lame duck session is?

I'm not even trying to attack you or anything, I'm just genuinely confused how you don't understand this.

With a few regional exceptions, the new term/session has always commenced at noon on the first Friday of the month following the election.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2023, 09:24:04 PM »

Thread re-opened.

It is not my desire to criticize Ishan or anyone else for that matter. However, this situation is one that requires expeditious action for the stability of government.

Surely the Attorney General or someone can fill in as defense attorney for a government agency, or some similar resolution be found?

I think we also need to consider legislation to allow the Department of Elections to revise a count after certification. When Rpryor messed up the April 2017 At-Large House election certification it was fixed within a couple of days and no court case was involved. Considering that I have warned about the decline of the efficacy of the judicial system (its not the justices fault, more a cultural shift and other factors in Atlasia at large), hinging something like this on the ability of the judicial system to quickly intervene and resolve a situation is now too big an ask barring a dramatic shift back to how these things worked in the 2010s.

Mistakes will happen, voters overlooked (as happened in 2017) or wrongly included etc and relying on a complex process for resolution is unwise when we used to have a much simpler way to resolve this kind of thing, and we have to be mindful of the limits of the game as it is. 

Would it beneficial if I looked around for someone who could serve as a lawyer in defense of the defendant?

I mean sure. Considering how consequential this matter is one would expect at least some communication between the President, AG and SoFE at least to the extent of ensuring adequate legal representation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2023, 04:42:46 PM »

FairBol, how have you spent all this time on a politics forum and involved in politics IRL and not understand what a lame duck session is?

I'm not even trying to attack you or anything, I'm just genuinely confused how you don't understand this.

This, and even if the 10 days came right at session switch (I know we don't formally do the 5 minute adjourn sine die and reconvene ritual like IRL, but maybe you could apply the general principle that the sessions are separate), you could argue that our Senate is a continuing body because we don't elect all of them at the same time and don't auto table everything at session switch.

We used to.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=112274.0
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »

I'm so distraught that my Serious Proposal to let the regions nuke each other or other countries wasn't received well.

"Everyone wants reform, but nobody wants your reform".

Tale as old as time.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2023, 07:52:49 PM »

We have had numerous indictments in this game and numerous trials and convictions. I don't recall any time in which a grand jury was employed. Whether this was game practicality, different set of laws at the time or just twenty years of prosecutorial misconduct I cannot really attest to from my phone at work.

It's certainly something to contemplate in terms of how we handle these things in game and to how dysfunctional anything resembling a criminal justice system has become at this point.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2023, 10:56:45 PM »

We have had numerous indictments in this game and numerous trials and convictions. I don't recall any time in which a grand jury was employed. Whether this was game practicality, different set of laws at the time or just twenty years of prosecutorial misconduct I cannot really attest to from my phone at work.

It's certainly something to contemplate in terms of how we handle these things in game and to how dysfunctional anything resembling a criminal justice system has become at this point.

If a defendant is unaware of his rights, he effectively consents to waive them.

In a real life context sure, but many RL legal concepts are have historically not been utilized in game. A good example would be when I told you that the court does not enforce standing and your response to that back in 2017 was "without standing, you don't have a case".

Historically, whenever a crime was evidently committed, the AG would just "issue an indictment", the Supreme Court would recognize the indictment and proceed with empaneling a jury. The only time that this did not happen was when Al charged Classic Conservative and myself with treason in July 2015 using twisted words from a Senate debate and this was so clearly bs that the Senate immediately moved towards impeachment on a bipartisan basis.

Election Related Stuff:
Atlasia v. Benconstine: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=95003.0 (AG: Marokai Blue)
Atlasia v. JoMCar: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203542.0 (AG: Zuwo)
Atlasia v. Labron Fitzgerald: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203653.0 (AG: Zuwo)

Treason:
Atlasia v. Alfred E. Jones: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=203543.0 (AG: Zuwo)
Atlasia v. Snowstalker: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=200112.0 (AG: Bacon King)

No Grand Jury was used in either of the botched attempts at LT in 2021.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2023, 07:34:53 PM »

Forgot to click the button that applies the name of the merged topic to all posts.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2023, 08:12:23 PM »

Well well, you cannot accuse NCY of being unwilling to use the court system.

I needed the court system to be there and responsive. I also needed the last election settled quickly.

The reasons for both should be painfully obvious now beyond just the stated concerns at the time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies