Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:44:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Special state legislative elections thread (see OP for results/upcoming races)  (Read 157265 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:01 AM »

Two upcoming ones in Minnesota, as the incumbents resigned just after being re-elected and taking office to take some cushy positions.

In 14A, which is basically the south and west of St. Cloud plus some suburbs, Steve Gottwalt, known being the main sponsor of the gay marriage amendment and being accused of covering up priest abuse in the St. Cloud Diocese while he was communications director is resigning to head some sort of radiology lobbying group in state. The district is fairly conservative (the liberals in St. Cloud live in 14B), but was still won by Romney by only about 2.5%, and Gottawalt won with a not exactly Earth shattering 54/46 margin. However it seems the likely GOP candidate will be former Rep. Dan Severson, who unsuccessfully ran against Ritchie for Sec of State in 2010. He has one primary opponent, but should win easily I'll guess. Only one Democrat has filed, who I don't know much about. I'll call it likely R.

In 19A, near my old home in Mankato, Terry Morrow is resigning to join up with some think tank in Chicago. The district is basically North Mankato, the nearby college town of St. Peter and some very conservative rural areas. Historically a swing district, but it's shifted. Obama beat Romney by 7 points there. Of course the predecessor seat voted for Emmer in 2010, but just by about a point and with 42%. Still the only Republican who's filed is the guy who lost to Walz, Allen Quist, a perennial candidate nutjob (who granted used to serve in the legislature, but hasn't for over 20 years now.) To put things into perspective, Quist says that abortion for any reason except to save the mother's life should be treated as a first degree homicide under the law, and compared gay counseling and student groups at my alma matter to letting the Ku Klux Klan set up a chapter there because both are "breeding grounds of evil". Kind of odd since it is kind of a swing seat, but you know how state legislative races go. I'm calling this safe D unless someone else gets in. There are four Democrats running so the primary later this month is the relevant race, but I don't know much about them. I should research more being so close to my old home.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies