The Update for Everybody Else (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 02:02:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 86164 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: May 24, 2013, 02:59:47 AM »

I just learned that the only dog left in the world who was older than myself died last week.  Sad
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:28:02 AM »

So this is what's going on in my hood right now: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/fire-rescue/kyle-canyon-under-mandatory-evacuation

This was the view from my driveway this afternoon:

We evacuated about 5pm, and are staying with friends for now.  Local news says we could expect to be forced out for 7-10 days.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »

I've still been evacuated from my home since Thursday.  The wildfire has spread to about 100ft from the outskirts of the neighborhood, although the firefighters are doing all they can to prevent property damage, and no injuries have been reported thankfully.  Overall the fire is about 15% contained, and today we were given a tentative date of July 19th for total containment and a possible return to our homes.

I only packed enough clothes for about three days.  Sad
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:20 AM »

In related news, the daily town briefings by the fire chiefs have had the side effect that I have gotten to know some more of my neighbors.  And frankly I had no idea that so many of them were bug-eyed libertarian weirdos.  It figures, I guess; it's a small community in the mountains of Nevada.

One of them actually stood up to ask why, when police roadblocks are forbidding entry to the town to everybody except fire crews, they were also allowing buses of prisoners up there specifically to loot our properties.  (The crew of 800 firefighters have been using all types of transportation to get up the mountain from home base, including prison buses.)  Another fellow resident is still up there even now, because the stinkin gubmint can't force him to leave, dagnabit.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

I get to finally go home on Wednesday morning!  That'll be 13 days since the evacuation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »

I get to finally go home on Wednesday morning!  That'll be 13 days since the evacuation.
I take it that everything in your neighborhood is alright? Or do you not know what you are going back to?

We've been told that there will definitely be a lot of noticeable changes in the scenery.  That could potentially cause problems further down the road; the deforestation can increase the threat from flash flooding, and then avalanches in the winter.  But the only structures lost to the fire (six in total) were all further down the mountain.  No injuries or loss of life, thankfully.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »

Got my drivers license today. I failed the test again, but the DMV lady let it slip. So I am now able to drive solo.

That explains a lot about Florida drivers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies