SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:51:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: National Security  (Read 18939 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »

Alright gentlemen, let's get back to work.

Joyce, could you give us your opinions on the Trade Commission, in terms of membership.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »

IIRC three people said they'd be willing to serve; I believe there was something about my isolationist Randian amorality balancing Snowstalker's protectionist reaction.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »

I remember that as well, but I cannot seem to find the thread.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:39 PM »

I remember that as well, but I cannot seem to find the thread.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=164337.0

Myself, Snowstalker, Marokai, yourself, and Nix all indicated interest.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2013, 02:13:53 PM »

So, NSC members, who do we want to appoint?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »

I nominate Senator Ben, SOEA SJoyce, and Senator Averroes Nix
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:30 PM »

That actually seems like the best combo. Ben & I are our resident 'people who actually care about this sort of thing' (Wink), and Nix always puts out good work. Since Snowstalker I believe is unopposed in his Senate race and Marokai is leading in the Presidential polls, both would probably have new offices to move into when we're getting this thing off the ground and would likely be occupied with that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2013, 06:22:31 PM »

If nobody else wants to make nominations, I'll open votes on each individual.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »

Y'all got roughly 20 hours to make nominations; I'll be opening a vote tomorrow evening.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:01 AM »

If you need to Ben, spam their damn inboxes till they show up and do what you want. Don't let this slip away again.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:58 AM »

Y'all got roughly 20 hours to make nominations; I'll be opening a vote tomorrow evening.
I have no one to put forward.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »

We are now voting on Ben, Joyce, and Nix to serve on the Trade Commission.

Aye on all 3.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2013, 07:19:03 AM »

Aye on all three
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2013, 12:13:02 PM »

Then they have all been confirmed.

The Trade Commission shall be made up of myself, Joyce, and Nix.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

Clarence has been nominated as Secretary of External Affairs by President Nathan.  Let the inquisition hearing begin!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »

Thank you, Senator...

I would like to thank President Nathan for the honor of this nomination and his faith in me. I'd also like to thank the man I hope to call my predecessor- Secretary SJoyce- for his extraordinary intellingence and performance in this role and his willingness to give this old sailor a shot... Thank you to you both

I am happy to answer any questions you all have or if you would like me to make an opening statement describing my views, I'm happy to do so...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

An opening statement would be helpful, but I'll throw in some questions now to get things going (feel free to combine these into your opening statement, or to answer them separately):

What would your priorities be as SoEA?  Do you believe Atlasia is too involved in the world stage?  How would you best contain a nuclear Iran?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »

An opening statement would be helpful, but I'll throw in some questions now to get things going:

What would your priorities be as SoEA?  Do you believe Atlasia is too involved in the world stage?  How would you best contain a nuclear Iran?
I think #1 would work into my opening statement well so if alright with you I'll combine this answer with that...

1- My priorities in what may be a very short term will be to coordinate with the President and the President-elect... periods of transition are very difficult between administrations. I would advise the President and President-elect to use this period to reset our relationship with Russia. This is not the Cold War and I see a world which is barreling back towards another Cold War... it is important to have Russia not be a foe as they are crucial particularly in dealing with rogue states such as North Korea and Iran

My other recommendations to the Pres and Pres-elect would be to consult with Japan and South Korea to develop a coordinated response to another North Korean nuclear test, plan a summit for the Pres-elect to meet with European leaders t get on the same page regarding the geopolitical issues of the day, consult with Mexico and domestic leaders to end the drug wars which I believe make us less safe, and any other objectives I am asked to work on....

2- If you mean militarily- yes I do... it's taken me some time to come to this conclusion and much of it's been due to taking a step back from my xenophobia, if that's the right word. In the past- I couldn't have been able to bear seeing our nation take a support role while France leads the way as they did in Libya- but in our military operations there, we did just that and it worked out very well for us at the time...though I take issue with the strategy in that region in general. We cannot afford to play world cop...I say this knowing that the results are almost never good. Our under the table attempts to aid the Mujahideen when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan didn't work out well- those things rarely do and we need to reexamine our principles for military action

I believe the cause of military action on our part should be three part-
1-national defense
2-humanitarian emergency
3-defense of allies with their consent

3- All options must be on the table... I believe this is a crucial issue that must be discussed with our European allies, Israel, friends in the region, and other actors such as Russia...we need to be on the same page or nothing we do unilaterally will be effective. A red line is necessary or we end up with a North Korea situation and Iran obtaining a nuclear deterrent while responsible for terrorist acts around the world is unacceptable

However- I would engage in direct negotiations with the Iranians. It was never our policy in the past to avoid discussions with our foes and it shouldn't be now...while we must keep war as an option, it is best avoided. The Iranian military is not composed mostly of guerilla fighters like the Viet Cong or the Mujahideen...it is a proficient and robust force and conflict with it would result in many of our men and women coming back in flag draped coffins...If we can come to a peaceful resolution, that's preferable

My deadline for Iran allowing our inspectors to examine their nuclear program to ensure it is for peaceful means would be determined with consulting our allies- but a red line is necessary
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

Any more questions?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2013, 08:21:47 AM »

Israel is undeniably an important ally in the Middle East.  Having said that, some of their recent actions such as building settlements in the West Bank have hurt the chances of ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the near-future.  In light of that, my first question for you is this: Do you believe that the time has come for us, as both a friend and ally of Israel, to start telling them tough truths about the consequences of their actions?  Additionally, I was wondering if you consider a two state solution a necessary requirement for a peaceful solution to the conflict; why or why not?  Lastly, what specific courses of action (military or otherwise) do you believe should be on the table if Iran fails to meet the deadline you called for earlier in your testimony (assuming one is set).
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »

Israel is undeniably an important ally in the Middle East.  Having said that, some of their recent actions such as building settlements in the West Bank have hurt the chances of ending the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the near-future.  In light of that, my first question for you is this: Do you believe that the time has come for us, as both a friend and ally of Israel, to start telling them tough truths about the consequences of their actions?  Additionally, I was wondering if you consider a two state solution a necessary requirement for a peaceful solution to the conflict; why or why not?  Lastly, what specific courses of action (military or otherwise) do you believe should be on the table if Iran fails to meet the deadline you called for earlier in your testimony (assuming one is set).
Thanks for the questions...

On Israel- I agree with your approach... being a good ally and friend means having the tough conversations every once in a while. If we are Israel's only ally- we can't deliver them the world. Having said that- I personally see Israel as morally superior the past few decades to the Palestinians...who have Martyr's Squares honoring suicide bombers even in the supposedly more moderate West Bank. Regarding the settlements in particular- I believe we should have private conversations to avoid showing daylight between us (the way allies used to work together) and urge them to reconsider...

On the two state solution- I absolutely see it as necessary. Israel wants to be a Jewish state- the Palestinians want an Arab state. Based on history, I see having both in one state as impossible. Now let's talk about Jerusalem... it is the holiest city is Judaism and the third holiest in Islam. I feel that because of that, Israel would have more of a claim to having it in its territory but that would be conditional upon free access to worship for Muslims as well. If the issue cannot be resolved between the Israelis and Palestinians- I would support maing Jerusalem and international city monitored by the UN

On Iran- of course, it depends on what has happened by the deadline... the goal is to avoid them from obtaining nuclear weapons. I see this as a crucial goal- Iran's terrorist actions throughout the world would be protected by a nuclear deterrent and its leadersip is too radical to place in their hands the world's deadliest weapon. If direct negotiations- which I support- are unsuccessful, and Iran is unwilling to allow inspectors in...I would support military conflict. While I'd leave specific planning to the military leadership- I'd imagine it wold involve tactical strikes against nuclear sites and the destruction of the Iranian military...all of this happening quickly with minimal boots on the ground, instead relying as much as possible on manned and unmanned aerial strikes. I would of course involve our allies in any discussion of this kind and work to have the support of the West
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »

Any one else have questions? :-)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2013, 08:07:25 PM »

Now let's talk about Jerusalem... it is the holiest city is Judaism and the third holiest in Islam. I feel that because of that, Israel would have more of a claim to having it in its territory but that would be conditional upon free access to worship for Muslims as well. If the issue cannot be resolved between the Israelis and Palestinians- I would support maing Jerusalem and international city monitored by the UN

For reference, this is my position.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #198 on: February 20, 2013, 10:20:59 PM »

Due to the limited time left, I am now opening a vote on whether or not Clarence should be confirmed.

Aye
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to: