Far-right leaders/parties in the team Putin and in the team Zelenski
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:48:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Far-right leaders/parties in the team Putin and in the team Zelenski
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Far-right leaders/parties in the team Putin and in the team Zelenski  (Read 638 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2024, 05:44:13 PM »

team Putin

Orbán
Modi
Marine Le Pen
AfD

team Zelenski

Giorgia Meloni
Morawiecki
Boris Johnson*
Chega
Javier Milei
part of Bolsonaro's supporting base (not himself, who is neutral in this war and visited Putin in Moscow few days before the invasion)

Do you agree with these lists?

I don't think it is easy to include Donald Trump in the team Putin. I believe he is only anti-hawk in this war. Benjamin Netaniahu doesn't have a clear side to. He used to have not bad relations with Putin.

*I don't know if Boris Johnson can be considered "far-right", but he belongs to the right-wing of the Tories and some newspapers had already considered him the "British Trump"

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 06:06:14 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2024, 06:37:03 PM by Storr »

Today I ran across a Carnegie Endowment overview of far-right parties in Europe. It appears the "professionals" mostly agree with your lists, at least when it comes to Europe.

https://carnegieeurope.eu/publications/interactive/radical-right-europe-foreign-policy

For Ukraine-Russia it categorized European far-right parties as:

Pro-Russia:

SNS (Slovakia)
Fidesz (Hungary)
Revival (Bulgaria)
AfD (Germany)
FPÖ (Austria)

Inconsistent:

National Rally (France)
PVV (Netherlands)
AUR (Romania)

Pro-Ukraine:

Vox (Spain)
Brothers of Italy
Law and Justice (Poland)
EKRE (Estonia)
Finns (Finland)
Sweden Democrats

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 06:13:14 PM »

You can add the whole MAGA wing of the GOP on the pro-Putin side and Mike Johnson on the pro-Zelenskyy side.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 09:25:44 PM »

Bolsonaro and Bolsonarists belong in neutral/inconsistent. But really, I think it’s something they don’t really care much to have a defined or consistent position.

A good chunk only started being more pro-Zelenskyy after noticing Lula wasn’t aligning that much with Zelenskyy, so they adapt the discourse accordingly in order to antagonize Lula. But when Bolsonaro was president they loved to copy MAGA on the matter and mock the hell out of Zelenskyy, at least the socially conservative hardline base.

Bolsonaro himself started by offending Zelenskyy while in power, only to later once use “freedom to Ukraine” while in foreign soil in order to campaign for external goodwill on the West or something.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 03:51:41 AM »

*I don't know if Boris Johnson can be considered "far-right", but he belongs to the right-wing of the Tories and some newspapers had already considered him the "British Trump"

Absolutely not, he’s not even on the right wing of the Conservative Party (despite his supporters believing he is).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 04:30:24 AM »

Boris Johnson is pro-Boris Johnson
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 04:50:38 AM »

Johnson does share certain "Trumpy" characteristics, but many of these are not terribly political.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 08:23:19 AM »

You can add the whole MAGA wing of the GOP on the pro-Putin side and Mike Johnson on the pro-Zelenskyy side.

Is Donald Trump really "pro-Putin" or he is only "pro-Putin" in the same magnitude Richard Nixon is "pro-Mao Tse-Tung"?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 09:31:59 AM »

Is Donald Trump really "pro-Putin" or he is only "pro-Putin" in the same magnitude Richard Nixon is "pro-Mao Tse-Tung"?
What?! Of course he’s “pro-Putin” did you memory hole his administration and how much he openly simped for Vlad? The only issue Trump personally bucked Putin on was Syria because he got all emotional about Assad “killing babies”
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 10:26:39 AM »

No, he's just pro-Putin. Don't be ridiculous.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2024, 01:49:08 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2024, 02:14:28 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

On that topic, Sebastian Gorka of all people is somehow pro-Ukraine. I have no idea how he got there and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s for the wrong reasons, but I’m glad he’s at least right on this one issue.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 04:27:52 PM »

What?! Of course he’s “pro-Putin” did you memory hole his administration and how much he openly simped for Vlad? The only issue Trump personally bucked Putin on was Syria because he got all emotional about Assad “killing babies”

Why did you put Assad "killing babies" in quotes? Assad did kill babies. He chemically gassed whole towns.

Also, this is just nonsense more broadly. Trump also, for example, continued US aid to Ukraine (now conveniently memory-holed).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2024, 04:41:25 PM »

On that topic, Sebastian Gorka of all people is somehow pro-Ukraine. I have no idea how he got there and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s for the wrong reasons, but I’m glad he’s at least right on this one issue.

Gorka is the son of two Hungarians who fled the country after the 1956 uprising, so it’s not especially outlandish that he would be firmly for Ukraine in the present conflict.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 05:02:17 PM »

Why did you put Assad "killing babies" in quotes? Assad did kill babies. He chemically gassed whole towns.

Also, this is just nonsense more broadly. Trump also, for example, continued US aid to Ukraine (now conveniently memory-holed).
Because that was Trump’s literal quote. Also again reread my quote I said “personal bucked” because the aid to Ukraine was forced on him by Congress
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 05:05:33 PM »

Because that was Trump’s literal quote. Also again reread my quote I said “personal bucked” because the aid to Ukraine was forced on him by Congress

1. Understood and retracted.

2. Yeah, but he still could have vetoed it or ordered US advisors out of Ukraine. He didn't do either. Instead, he signed off on aid and continued US support for Ukraine.

Oh, and for another example: he also personally bucked Putin by allowing Erdogan to invade Syria, given that the Syrian government (a Russian ally) fought against it.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2024, 05:07:58 PM »

2. Yeah, but he still could have vetoed it or ordered US advisors out of Ukraine. He didn't do either. Instead, he signed off on aid and continued US support for Ukraine.
Congress had a veto proof majority on aid so it would of been a useless platitude on Trump’s behalf towards Putin
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2024, 05:08:22 PM »

Congress had a veto proof majority on aid so it would of been a useless platitude on Trump’s behalf towards Putin

He still could have withdrawn advisors, but he didn't. Or held up the distribution of aid.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2024, 05:11:41 PM »

He still could have withdrawn advisors, but he didn't. Or held up the distribution of aid.
Yeah he just tried to extort Ukraine over aid instead what an ally
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2024, 05:22:41 PM »

Yeah he just tried to extort Ukraine over aid instead what an ally

Very true. Which is notably not what Putin wanted -- Putin wanted no aid to Ukraine at all! Which suggests that although Trump had the power to hinder/block Ukraine did (as he briefly did for non-Putin related political reasons) he kept it going anyway because he supported it -- another example of him personally breaking with Putin.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2024, 08:25:29 PM »

Bolsonaro and Bolsonarists belong in neutral/inconsistent. But really, I think it’s something they don’t really care much to have a defined or consistent position.

A good chunk only started being more pro-Zelenskyy after noticing Lula wasn’t aligning that much with Zelenskyy, so they adapt the discourse accordingly in order to antagonize Lula. But when Bolsonaro was president they loved to copy MAGA on the matter and mock the hell out of Zelenskyy, at least the socially conservative hardline base.

Bolsonaro himself started by offending Zelenskyy while in power, only to later once use “freedom to Ukraine” while in foreign soil in order to campaign for external goodwill on the West or something.

It's important to observe the difference between Bolsonaro itself and the right which endorses Bolsonaro.
The right which doesn't endorse Bolsonaro is the most pro-Ukraine group in Brazil, but the right which endorses Bolsonaro is also pro-Ukraine. One example is the PL-SP representative Paulo Bilynskyj, who is proud to have a grandpa who "fought against the USSR in the WW2". His grandpa was member of the Ukrainian nationalist groups who fought with the Waffen-SS. Other example was the former right-wing extremist Sara Winter, who used the quote "vamos ucranizar o Brasil". Even before the Russian invasion, her group considered the anti-communist Ukranian policies since 2014 an example to follow. It's easy for the right to be pro-Ukraine, since there are some pro-Putin leftists (more important in the X than in the real life).
On the other hand, Bolsonaro and his family don't care about this war. Maybe because it's a too complex topic for their minds. And maybe because they want to be connected to both pro-Putin and pro-Zelensky international far-right.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 10:56:28 PM »

PVV in the Netherlands is pro-Ukraine

FvD is pro-Russia.

Not sure about VB in Belgium but they seem at the very least less pro-Ukraine than the mainstream government parties, and have had ties with Russia in the past, so you can add them to team Putin or on inconsistent at Storrs list.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies