When are we going to have the confirmation hearings? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:57:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  When are we going to have the confirmation hearings? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When are we going to have the confirmation hearings?  (Read 1518 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« on: July 03, 2005, 05:36:09 PM »

The Constitution requires that the Budget must be approved before the Senate can "move on to any other matter." Thus, I feel compelled (unfortunately) to delay the hearings until the Budget is approved.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 10:15:01 PM »

My suggestion to Emsworth is to bring up the nominations, and let's have a vote on them.
I had considered interpreting the clause so that "matter" refers to legislation, but I felt that there might be an objection.

If no Senator objects, I will open confirmation hearings in a little while.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 09:26:36 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2005, 09:28:55 AM by Emsworth »

There appears to be no objection. Therefore, I am prepared to make my decision:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 6's requirement that "The Senate must approve each and every Budget before moving on to any other matter" applies only to legislation. The original intent of those who framed the clause appears to be that "matter" refers to bills, not to the swearing-in of Senators, presidential nominations, the election of the President pro tempore, or procedural votes.

Confirmation hearings will open shortly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies