Australia General Discussion 3.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia General Discussion 3.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Australia General Discussion 3.0  (Read 4456 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »

The government were looking at the 25th May as a possible date which would have squeezed the Senate timetable to five weeks: but an extra week doesn't usually get you much.

Yeah, the AEC Commissioner had even backed away from the definitive May 18th date in estimates last week & conceded that the election could be held on May 25th, & god only knows that ScoMo probably would've loved to pressure the AEC to get the count (including recounts & appeals) done in 5 weeks just to extend his night-watchman period (not to mention for the chance at one extra week of campaigning, even if it would be a campaign running on nothing but hope that something really good happens for them at that point), though perhaps they realized it would've looked ridiculously stupid had the AEC been forced to put provisional results out on June 30th, only to then have to overturn them once the final checks were done.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:01 PM »

The government were looking at the 25th May as a possible date which would have squeezed the Senate timetable to five weeks: but an extra week doesn't usually get you much.

Morrison was apparently hoping to delay the election as long as possible to wait for the polls to I prove. Problem with that is there was no way they were going to improve.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »

Morrison was apparently hoping to delay the election as long as possible to wait for the polls to I prove. Problem with that is there was no way they were going to improve.

There goes the neighbourhood........from a property price sense.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 07:15:59 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2019, 07:52:58 PM by Meclazine »

I feel more educated about the Federal Election now after watching this:

(Language Warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwQkQxvWilk

Slavery sounds fair.

In other news, Melissa Parke withdraws from the Federal Election after some story that has offended the Jewish population.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-12/labor-candidate-for-curtin-melissa-park-withdraws-from-race/10999526
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »

The BEST POLITICAL AD EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE04mSSWXlI

Clive Palmer has to be given credit for introducing real Australia to the TV screen.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 07:26:14 AM »

The BEST POLITICAL AD EVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE04mSSWXlI

Clive Palmer has to be given credit for introducing real Australia to the TV screen.

Actually its one in a series of three:

"Dave the Builder reveals the truth (part 1)"

"Dave the Builder reveals the truth (part 2)"

"Dave the Builder reveals the truth (part 3)"

All Classics!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »

Lol! I stand corrected.

Dave the Builder for PM.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »

Senator Fraser Anning has revealed his strategy for the upcoming Federal election.

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/fraser-annings-conservative-national-party-has-entered-the-election-race/news-story/efa3511906609fdfa5e783226e1d90f0

There's a few interesting phrases.

Australia “as an English speaking, predominantly European Christian Commonwealth, as originally described in 1901 when Australia as a nation was founded”.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2019, 10:11:42 PM by Meclazine »

Drama.

Scuffle breaks out at Fraser Anning's press conference:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/sport/scuffle-at-fraser-anning-event/vp-BBWj4bK

Press Conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBeebbvIo8s

"We might found that one of our candidates is an axe murderer, we cannot check everyone"

What a political statement for a Federal Election.

Now when I checked my 16yo sons Instagram account, I noticed him following Senator Anning.

https://www.instagram.com/senatoranning/

Lucky he is not old enough to vote yet.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2019, 07:01:57 PM »

First debate between Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten in the Australian Federal Election.

James Weir from news.com.au summed it up beautifully.

"The real winners of last night’s debate between Scott Morrison and Bill Shorten were the people who decided to watch something else.

We would have gone with the second half of Antiques Roadshow on Gem or, at a pinch, the footage of One Nation luminary Steve Dickson enjoying some “titty” at a strip club on A Current Affair."

Steve Dickson had to resign after footage emerged of him in a Washington DC nightclub saying the words:

"I think white women f**k a whole lot better, they know what they're doing. Asian chicks don't.

"I've done more Asian than I know what to do with."

"You need to slide your hand on my ****," he says to a dancer.

"Right now?" she asks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-30/one-nation-candidate-steve-dickson-quits-over-strip-club-video/11056676

But then he had to answer to Pauline Hanson, leader of One Nation, who is currently on national TV news in a live feed from her farm where she is getting more angry than her hair colour.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2019, 04:32:32 PM by Meclazine »

Pauline Hanson replies to the allegations, the innuendo, the drama, the strip clubs, the NRA money and the Al Jazeera strip club tapes.

The crescendo of pain is reached as Pauline gets teared up explaining her life, her troubles.

The toll that political life has taken from her is obvious on her face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7epTa2xUEM

You could cut the tension with a knife.

The most emotional political interview in Australian history.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 02:22:33 AM »

Prime Minister Scott Morrison hit with an egg, but it did not crack, bouncing off his skull.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-07/scott-morrison-egged-on-federal-election-campaign-trail/11087174
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »

Liberals final advertisement before the election this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJrXI3rBbSA

(Warning: Untoward language)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »

Australia to import wheat for first time in 12 years as drought eats into grain production
Australia is planning to import wheat for the first time in 12 years after drought across the eastern states saw grain production fall 20% last year.

The Department of Agriculture and Water Resources confirmed this week it had issued a bulk import permit to allow wheat to be brought in from Canada to be processed for the domestic market.

The import has raised biosecurity concerns among grain growers, who say the risk of bringing in a disease or new weed to Australia is “too high a price for us to be able to bear”.

YourLocalKiwiGay
Rookie
New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 05:20:07 AM »

Very disappointing results coming from Queensland of the Labor party. This election is going to be much closer than thought.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 06:02:14 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2019, 06:47:17 AM by Meclazine »

Liberals with a strong showing in QLD and WA.

Things looking up for ScoMo and Clive Palmer.

Liberals only need 3 more seats and are ahead in 3 electorates in WA.

Unless my maths is wrong, Liberals are back in.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »

Your very own "Dewey defeats Truman" moment.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »

Bill Shorten is the John Hewson of the Australian Labor Party
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »

Your very own "Dewey defeats Truman" moment.

Honestly the biggest upset since Trump, & Brexit before him.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2019, 09:21:09 AM by Annatar »

The polls were a disaster in this election, the worst I have seen in Australia and worse then anything that occurred in America in 2016. The last polls had the Coalition primary vote at 38, Labor at 37, the result so far with 76% in is the Coalition at 41, Labor at 34, a 7% difference. So you have a 6% miss nationally in terms of the primary vote differential, far worse then anything I have seen in other countries. In QLD the miss was even bigger, the primary vote in the polls was LNP 36 to Labor 32, the actual result so far is LNP 43 to Labor 27, so instead of a 4% difference, we have a 16% difference, a 12% miss in the primary vote, I am pretty sure that has to be the biggest failure of polling almost anywhere in the past decade.

I am going to use the American methodology of comparing polling error not the Australian one which looks at swings based off vote share.
Nationally the polls on average had Labor up 52-48 on the 2 party vote, so far Coalition leads 51-49, so a 2% Coalition lead instead of a 4% labor lead, a 6% miss nationally, in QLD it was supposed to be a 51-49 LNP lead, actual figure is 57-43, a 12% miss.
The polling error in Australia makes what happened in the midwest in 2016 look small by comparison.

In terms of the actual results, I would say the most interesting result were the swings to labor in affluent northern Sydney and the swings to the Coalition in the more diverse suburbs of Western Sydney. In the northern Sydney seats, you had swings of 3.4%, 4.5% and 4.7% towards Labor in Bennelong, Bradfield and North Sydney, all northern Sydney seats.
Whereas in western Sydney you had swings of 3.9%, 6.4% and 5.2% towards the Liberals in Blaxland, Chiefley and McMahon, all western Sydney seats. Maybe in 20 years time, Liberals will be more dominant in western Sydney and labor in northern Sydney, who knows.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »

Looks like it'll be Albanese vs. Bowen for the leadership. Sportsbet has Albanese at $1.32 and Bowen at $3.50. The former I believe has a larger support base within the membership; he beat Shorten in the last leadership election among the membership and lost based on the MP vote.

This time, things are a little less certain. Shorten has been lobbying against Albanese apparently, but there is no doubt in my mind Plibersek will back him. That said, a recent headline has come out saying that Bowen is likely to drop out, though i'm not certain. This could shape up to be another Right vs. Left battle.

Albanese has Penny Wong and Jim Chalmers behind him apparently. The latter is a big deal because he was apparently considering running for the leadership himself.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 12:31:17 AM »

Nope

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/election-2019/2019/05/22/chris-bowen-labor-leader/
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 01:07:06 AM »

I wrote my post before this was announced.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

Very disappointed Tanya Plibersek did not go for the leadership.

I would have voted for her in the election. But Bill Shorten repulsed me on all levels.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:57 AM »

Very disappointed Tanya Plibersek did not go for the leadership.

I would have voted for her in the election. But Bill Shorten repulsed me on all levels.

Tanya, as much I like her, was never going to run against Albanese. They're from the same faction .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies