An Important Day in TV History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:24:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  An Important Day in TV History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An Important Day in TV History  (Read 1341 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTV_switch
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:49:01 AM »

A bad day as far as I'm concerned.  I used to have great TV reception, with stations from three different markets easily viewable.  Now I've definitely lost one, and another doesn't come in all that well.  Hopefully when the analog signals go dark and some stations reshuffle their channel things will improve, but really the only people who will benefit are the cable and satellite companies because of lousy standard the FCC picked.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:03:09 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2009, 01:45:59 AM by Mechaman »

Overfriggin rated. Excuse my french but I don't understand what's the big motherf&$*ing deal with this whole transition. We got healthcare, we got the economy, we got drug legalization, how many commercials a day do I see for any of those issues? If I'm lucky it's once! This digital transition crap? I've been seeing that commerical for like 4 times a day for the past friggin year and a half!
I find it so funny how the government feels like it's such a huge deal that every house in America has digital tv, I mean really? Plus, the laws against analog signals are crazy, just because something is inferior doesn't mean it should be illegal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:05:53 AM »

I don't like a lot of what the FCC does, but at least this falls into a traditional role of theirs (managing frequency uses).  We should be thankful they aren't trying to censor cable/sat TV networks or the internet.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »

I don't like a lot of what the FCC does, but at least this falls into a traditional role of theirs (managing frequency uses).  We should be thankful they aren't trying to censor cable/sat TV networks or the internet.

The only thing that worries me, living here in Florida, is that during a hurricane I won't be able to buy and use a portable TV for weather and news alerts.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »

And it's done. Our local TV network just did it and had a show on it. The showed a station employee flipping the switch. I went to my old tv and watched it go to snow. Pretty cool. Sixty years of analog, now over.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »

The only thing that worries me, living here in Florida, is that during a hurricane I won't be able to buy and use a portable TV for weather and news alerts.

Not that its practical to do so, but  can you get (and i'm sure its not cost effective if possible), a battery powered Digital to analog converter?

And it's done. Our local TV network just did it and had a show on it. The showed a station employee flipping the switch. I went to my old tv and watched it go to snow. Pretty cool. Sixty years of analog, now over.

Places around here did it at noon, in the philadelphia area you could get 6ABC (at least the audio of it) via the radio at 87.7 FM...now its static...sort of unfortunate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »

Not that its practical to do so, but  can you get (and i'm sure its not cost effective if possible), a battery powered Digital to analog converter?

I think they're developing one.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 02:04:49 PM »

I think they're developing one.

Other thing, I thought one of the reasons behind the mandatory switch was to free up those analog stations so they could be used in emergencies (since analogy can penetrate walls etc)...but then I read the gubment has made something on the order of $20 Billion selling the licenses to those old analog channels...what gives?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

They are freeing up room for cell phones.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies