Why are Tennessee's suburbs still vote Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:38:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why are Tennessee's suburbs still vote Republican
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are Tennessee's suburbs still vote Republican  (Read 1228 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2024, 12:20:33 PM »

But anyway, Tennessee's suburbs are much more White than the suburbs of Texas or Georgia.  I'm trying not to cherry-pick, but here are the 2020 racial demographics of select cities/suburbs in 2020:

Nashville - 53.3% White
Brentwood - 81.2% White
Franklin - 75.0% White
Murfreesboro - 62.1% White

Memphis - 23.9% White
Germantown - 82.3% White
Collierville - 67.2% White
Bartlett - 67.8% White

Atlanta - 38.5% White
Marietta - 42.0% White
Alpharetta - 55.4% White
Roswell - 63.3% White

Austin - 47.1% White
Round Rock - 46.9% White
Pflugerville - 40.1% White
Kyle - 40.2% White

You kinda have to consider Nashville separately since it's a combined city-county, so people trying to compare it directly to other cities (especially Memphis) are missing a lot.  Shelby County still has >200k more population than Davidson, and I'd argue Memphis still has the more "urban" feel on the ground despite increasingly playing second-fiddle to Nashville in the last 30 years.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2024, 12:29:17 PM »

DeSoto County is interesting because it has million dollar McMansions for the Memphis white flight. But it has poor blank towns like Hornlake. I went to a mall in DeSoto County. Quite a cultural clash lol.

The dynamics of DeSoto suburbia are strange because, unlike Tennessee, Mississippi has a state income tax. I suspect the highest-earning Memphians would prefer to stay in TN, for this reason.   
If you work in Memphis but live in DeSoto, you wouldn't pay state income tax. You pay where you do the job.

This is a misconception.  If you are a resident of MS, you will pay MS income taxes.  If a resident of MS has taxes withheld in another state they will get that back on their MS taxes in the form of a credit, but since TN doesn't have income tax that doesn't diminish their tax liability in MS.   
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2024, 12:31:10 PM »

But anyway, Tennessee's suburbs are much more White than the suburbs of Texas or Georgia.  I'm trying not to cherry-pick, but here are the 2020 racial demographics of select cities/suburbs in 2020:

Thank you for the data!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies