White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 08:00:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White House Correspondents Dinner - Michelle Wolf  (Read 7382 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: April 29, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »

It wasn't funny but it made the Hulkabeast squirm so kudos!

Huckabee got the best press of anyone out of this unfortunate affair, with his pose under fire, so your schadenfreude might be a bit misplaced here.
I haven't been paying attention to the media response, nor do I care. LOL. I just liked seeing her ripped to shreds to her face. Smiley

I guess we all like to see folks get their comeuppance.

I'll like seeing Stacey Abrams go down in flames on primary day.  I'll enjoy it greatly, to be honest.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 06:52:12 AM »

Overall, it was pretty tasteless and just about as crude as I expected it to be. I thought the abortion remark she made was simply disgusting...

"Don’t knock it ‘til you try it — and when you do try it, really knock it. You know, you’ve got to get that baby out of there."

I think whether you're pro-life or pro-choice, we can all agree that abortion is not something to celebrate as good, in and of itself. Not saying she shouldn't have been allowed to say it, just saying that it's sad that this is what passes for humor.

This, indeed, was the worst part of the presentation.  Ragging on Trump, or even on his Press Secretary, Sanders, is one thing; this comment is another.

Many years ago, Tex Antoine, a weather reporter in NYC with a known alcohol problem, made a comment on the air as to if rape were inevitible, sit back and enjoy it.  The outcry was immediate, and Antoine was deservedly fired.  I see little difference between his comment and this comedienne's comment.  Both of them joke about a traumatic event in a person's life.  

This issue isn't going to keep me up at nights.  I expect such insensitivity from entertainers; they only get upset at comments about children when it's THEIR parenting brought into question.  But this comment does reflect Michelle Wolf's lack of regard for the humanity of children, and if she's made to feel uncomfortable by the public spotlight shining on this comment, so be it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »

It wasn't funny but it made the Hulkabeast squirm so kudos!

Huckabee got the best press of anyone out of this unfortunate affair, with his pose under fire, so your schadenfreude might be a bit misplaced here.
I haven't been paying attention to the media response, nor do I care. LOL. I just liked seeing her ripped to shreds to her face. Smiley

I guess we all like to see folks get their comeuppance.

I'll like seeing Stacey Abrams go down in flames on primary day.  I'll enjoy it greatly, to be honest.

Why do you want to see Stacey Abrams go down in flames? She's not even running in your state or to represent you.
In that case, hopefully the rest of Atlas will STFU about Rick Scott.
I must confess no love for Scott, and I endorse Bill Nelson (D) for re-election.  A man who takes the fifth over 70 times in a deposition is unfit for public office.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »

I found a lot of it to be funny on the whole (actually she was way better than Hassan Manaj) but yeah, what she said about Sarah Huckabee Sanders was just mean-spirited and not particularly funny either.

Was she shrill? 
No, just kind of unnecessarily cruel to Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Some of her jokes (like the Jake Tapper one) were hysterical. Much better than Hassan Manaj, like I said.

In truth, if I made some of the comments Michelle Wolf made about people's wives, mothers, sisters, or daughters here, I wouldn't be surprised to find myself on the losing end of some "corporal punishment" by some of the aggrieved loved ones, requiring a short hospitalization.

It's amazing how cruel folks can be with an entourage to back them up.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:22:27 AM »

Fake outrage has always been one of the central tenets of Republican ideology.

I'm not denying the fake outrage of the GOP, but I can flood the forum with threads of Democratic fake outrage. 

The fake outrage over criticism of the Parkland students being criticized for their advocacy of gun control is the most prominent example.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »

Just watched an exception of Wolf's remarks. To be fair, I don't find them very funny, especially on Sarah Sanders. I don't like the latter, but the jokes/remarks were just not very classy. Sometimes it seems that a number of Trump opponents go with the motto "if they go low, we also go low".

I can understand a mudfest in a campaign, and I don't begrudge either side "going negative".  If this is a "campaign" event, however, it begs the question of the objectivity of the Fourth Estate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies