This might seem a silly question but... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:17:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  This might seem a silly question but... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This might seem a silly question but...  (Read 3671 times)
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« on: August 31, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »

Is there anything that can be dug up to answer the following:

"Is it true that the more people in an area relate to a part of Europe, the more Democrat they are?"

For instance, I found out today that Inyo County in California has the greatest number of people in California who claim Welsh ancestry, therefore that does mean that they would support the US version of Plaid Cymru?
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »

That's an interesting observation, and probably accurate, at least among whites.  I'd wager that those who identify "American" ancestry are overwhelmingly Republican.  Those who identify with a European ethnic group also probably tend to be union laborers at a higher clip than average, although it doesn't seem to have done Kerry any favors in Inyo County.  I also doubt this applies to German ancestry.

I'm curious where the Inyo County stat comes from.  The Census indicated only 1.5% of the population there identifying as Welsh, which is well above the national average of 0.5%, but not nearly enough to affect local politics in any way.

To my knowledge, the most Welsh county is Oneida County, Idaho, where 20.8% identify as such.  But being that only 22 people (0.6%) of the population speaks an Indo-European language, and all of them speak English "well or better" on top of that, I imagine it's a pretty Americanized set.  I doubt there's much Welsh loyalty there, other than the occasional Red Dragon.

The fact that Inyo county had a lot more Welsh than normal came from a Wikipedia map. I would like to know if someone could send me the full data on which counties are more Welsh than average.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies