Worst Canadian MP (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:20:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Worst Canadian MP (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst Canadian MP  (Read 2872 times)
missbrat155
Canada

« on: August 01, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »

I think there is a innate tendency to attack the MP's from the party in opposition to our own, while defending those within our own party.

As a conservative myself, I will admit that there are several MP's within my own party whom I believe are worse than some MP's from other parties.   However, I also think that the general public has a predisposition to judge many of our members of parliament regardless of their political affiliations when, in reality, it is that - judging.  I believe that being an MP is a much more difficult job than most people understand, and that for the most part, many of them are just trying to do what they think is best for our country.  Naturally, there are a few who do not deserve the position by failing to represent their constituency.   Therefore, I think the worst MP's are those who do not live up to the expectations of their position and let the authority of their job get to their head, regardless of their party.

missbrat155
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »

While you are entitled to your opinion - respectfully so, I would like to hear your opinions as to why you think he is a bad Prime Minister.  I often feel (as my previous post may have elucidated) that we tend to give out our opinions based on party membership without actually having reasons why we like someone as PM or MP, or not.  While I'm sure you have your reasons - I think the point albertagirl was trying to make is, what exactly are they?

I do respect your difference in opinion.  I would hate to see the day that Canada was reduced to a state of one party governance without the ability to debate as we are.  No one is going to like one prime minister (or MP) completely - especially if they belong to the party opposing our own.  Stephen Harper is by no means a perfect person.   What i'm interested in hearing is why exactly you don't like him, apart from a potential dislike due to the party he represents.  In terms of his contribution to Canada, I believe he has overall made an incredible beneficial impact to the progress of our nation.  I may not agree with everything he says or does, but I believe that fundamentally, his ideas and plans are sincerely to benefit Canada in the way he knows best.   

People are going to disagree.  But to make a statement that he is a bad PM needs some sort of reasoning behind it.  It bothers me sometimes (not directed towards any particular person), from the standpoint of someone from the general public, who just dabbles in politics, that people generally expect those in office to be perfect.  As soon as one person (whoever it is, regardless of party) makes a mistake (i must insert here, I mean a mistake which is not vitally significant - not something that, say, threatens national security), or says something wrong, they are completely massacred.   I know my own party does it to the other parties, just as they do to mine.  But the tendency to judge, from my standpoint, is incredibly frustrating.  The last time I checked, the criteria for being in politics did not include perfection.   Apologies for making mistakes - definitely.  Opinions should be given - and differences of opinons should be welcomed, but justification should also be supplied because critizing by saying that this person is a bad PM, gives an aire of judgement rather than a founded opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies