Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:51:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question to Gustaf and other European Posters  (Read 22670 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 31, 2004, 10:35:39 AM »

I think those who complain should be be thankful that we take an interest in American Politics! For one I'm studying both American and British politics at universtity, so I think I know more about the system than say Joe Redneck, though I would say that all of us are perfectly entitled to comment whatever way we wish. Besides, the decisions a US president takes in regards to foreign affairs and especially the economy have effects throughout the world. Afterall there are people close to home in the UK who have been sent to fight in Iraq, or who have lost their jobs as a result of the US economic downturn, indirectly as a result of President Bush, so think before you lash out.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »

Apart from Likud, certain Democratic strategists who helped Clinton in 92 and 96 helped the British Labour Party's campaign in 1997. Although unsung heroes, they and campaign co-ordinator Peter Mandelson helped Labour and Tony Blair formulate a winning strategy in 1997 and 2001. As i mentioned on a previous topic, Labour will no doubt return the favour. I would agree that most European's have a dislike for Bush, as they did with his father and with Reagan, and yes they have a general likeness for the Carter's and Clinton's of the world, but that is because Europe is generally to the 'left' of America. Even the British Conservative Party would be appalled at some of the Republican policies put into practice. On a personal note, as a Catholic myself, my parents and grandparents idolised the Kennedy's and believe it or not were fans of Nixon. In the London Times, the recent New Hampshire primary, something that has very very little to do with the UK, had a double page spread, and the campaign is covered daily. The following of US politics is not just a personal thing, it is nationwide.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 09:46:15 AM »

That touches on a good point. In America, the Republican Party in particular focuses a great deal of emphasis on what we in the UK at least would call 'non-issues.' Abortion for instance is in the mainstream unchallenged in the UK. If you personally disagree with it  (such as PM Tony Blair),then that is a personal issue, freedom of choice allows the freedom to say no as well as yes and has around 70-80% backing in the UK. One reason why we are an international centre for stem-cell research. Evolution is a NON (emphasis on the non!) issue, in fact it doesn't even cross my mind, it's just taken as 'go.' Luckily we have no second amendment, but the gun consensus is that they should be banned for personal use, even if it took us the Dunblane massacre in 1996 to realise it. Prayer in Public schools funnily enough is part of the curriculum in schools here, children of all faiths and none take part in Christian prayer (more often if you went to a state Catholic school like me) as well as learning about other faiths. The reason for this is that the issue has not been taken over by evangelical nuts. And as for gay rights in the UK? Well Civil Partnerships are on the legislatory schedule for this session of parliament...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies