Christians:can you own two coats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 10:12:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians:can you own two coats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christians:can you own two coats?  (Read 5706 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 08, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »

Churchgoing increases your charitable giving significantly - he's right.  I'm too lazy to find the sources, but there have been several.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:46:18 PM »

Churchgoing increases your charitable giving significantly - he's right.  I'm too lazy to find the sources, but there have been several.

No, no -- he said CONSERVATIVE Christians give more than liberals.  Did he mean liberals in general or liberal Christians?  There are tens of millions of churchgoing Christians in this country who are not conservative.  I'd like to see some evidence that they are less charitable than their conservative brethren.

Too, I think you have to be VERY careful when you talk about charitable donations.  Where is the money going?  If I write a check for $500.00 to James Dobson so he can further his political agenda, is that factored into what Jmcfst is talking about? Conservative Christians give millions to radio and tv preachers.  It may be they do good work with the money.  Billy Graham sure does.  But it may also be they use the money to finance political crusades and keep themselves in the lap of luxury. 

Assuming churches are considered charity, and Mormon tithe is, it's really no contest.  Fundies, southern chruchgoers, give a ton of their money relative to income.  I don't think there's much chance that it's not more than liberal Christians.

I'm not sure what that proves, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies