Christians:can you own two coats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:23:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians:can you own two coats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christians:can you own two coats?  (Read 5696 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: March 08, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, do you got two coats?  How do you couch that with the above verse and all the other parts of the Bible where Jesus tells you to give up all you don't absolutly need.  How do preachers driving Caddy's sleep at night knowing there are kids going to bed hungry in their same town?

(sorry if we've done this before)

social conservatives Christians give more to charity than social liberals. 

Proof? Source?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »

Churchgoing increases your charitable giving significantly - he's right.  I'm too lazy to find the sources, but there have been several.

No, no -- he said CONSERVATIVE Christians give more than liberals.  Did he mean liberals in general or liberal Christians?  There are tens of millions of churchgoing Christians in this country who are not conservative.  I'd like to see some evidence that they are less charitable than their conservative brethren.

Too, I think you have to be VERY careful when you talk about charitable donations.  Where is the money going?  If I write a check for $500.00 to James Dobson so he can further his political agenda, is that factored into what Jmcfst is talking about? Conservative Christians give millions to radio and tv preachers.  It may be they do good work with the money.  Billy Graham sure does.  But it may also be they use the money to finance political crusades and keep themselves in the lap of luxury. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »

Well, from what I can see -- Jmcfst is probably right.  Though most of the independent studies show the gap in giving between religious conservatives and religious liberals is razor thin.  And it doesn't take into account donations to 501-C3's for the purpose of proselytizing.  I'm also just a tad skeptical of Arthur Brooks' findings in this regard, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  If Brooks is right about anything, it's that liberals are wrong to discount or marginalize religion in general and Christianity, specifically.  I'd completely agree with him on that.

But Brooks compares apples to oranges when he lines up Christian conservatives or, what he calls, "The religious right" with the secular left.  How do charitable donations compare between secular conservatives and secular liberals would be more logical.  Comparing charitable donations of Christian conservatives and Christians liberals would then be more apt.  But that comparison wouldn't draw much of a distinction.  In both cases, levels of charitable giving are almost the same.

No question though -- we can ALL do more.  And we should.  I, for one, have absolutely no doubt about the generosity of conservatives as well as liberals.  And frankly, it may be the basis for unity between our two ideological camps.  We may never agree on gun control, for example. But I wonder -- could a liberal and a conservative come together in raising funds for an organization that provides counseling and assistance to crime victims and their families?  I think the answer is, "yes".

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies