1892 Democratic Party platform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:41:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1892 Democratic Party platform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1892 Democratic Party platform  (Read 3702 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« on: September 18, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »

Not sure I understand.  Is this OP saying that because modern Republicans support States' Rights that they somehow carry the burden of the Democrats' racist past?  The GOP of Lincoln's day wasn't necessarily against States' Rights at all, and in fact (if you do your homework) really supported them at a fundamental level ... they also supported not letting a group of Rebels secede from the Union or letting Southerners impose cruel and unjust Black Codes on Blacks.  It doesn't change the fact that they were pro-business and fiscally conservative while the Democrats were, like today, fiscally progressive.  (Disclaimer: compared to modern Presidential administrations, practically all 1800s politicians were radically conservative on fiscal measures).
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

What's the point of putting this up? I mean, once you've become versed a certain amount in American history, you get it. The Democrats of the 1880's and early 1890's weren't huge fans of tariffs or spending or whathaveyou. Big deal.

Some people find it interesting (me included) and like I said in another thread, I didn't look at how old the threads were.  You didn't have to respond to said "two year old threads."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies