Why Cheney lost the debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:46:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Cheney lost the debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why Cheney lost the debate  (Read 1973 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 10:52:27 AM »

Cheney came into this debate extremely well prepared.  His answers were sharp, well-focused, and generally effective.  He has gotten high marks from a lot of the TV pundits.

Yet the flash polls and small group reactions seem to be scoring the debate a win for Edwards.

It seems to me that Cheney lost because he was simply too negative.  The first thing that struck me about this debate that I commented on was how blantantly Cheney came out in all-out-attack mode.  Cheney has high negatives, and simply does not have the personality traits to pull off these attacks without turning a lot of people against him. 

Cheney won his debate in 2000 by appearing congenial, surprising the conventional wisdom about him.  Tonight, Cheney played to his weaknesses; he was snarling, grating, and when claiming that Edwards had never met him, transparently petty.

Edwards wasn't wonderful, but was able to emphasize his strengths.  His sunny personality allows him to pull off attacks that Cheney can't.  So while Cheney was better prepared and had a more comprehensive range of responses, his style turned people off.  It may not have turned off the media, who are always itching for a fight, but I have a feeling it didn't sit well with America.

Yeah, Edwards constantly bringing up Haliburton was not going negative, but Cheney defending the Bush record was.

I think it is very telling that Edwards honestly couldn't refrain from Kerry, even when he was instructed not too.  I think that Kerry thought he was getting a Jack Kennedy and instead got a Dan Quayle.

I must admit, I seriously overestimated Edwards during the primaries.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »

Another interesting thing about CBS, last debate they included a section on how their "uncommitted " voters were voting before the debate (heavily pro-Kerry).  This time they did no such thing.  last time they got blasted for having such a biased pool of "uncommitted" voters.  Looks like they learned their lesson and decided to not let the public now how comitted their uncomitted voters are this time.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2004, 12:23:10 PM »

Here's what Frank Luntz said about the focus group he did for this debate:

Luntz: "Edwards won on style, but Cheney won on substance. There will be no shift after this debate. This freezes everything until Friday's presidential debate."
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2004, 12:30:32 PM »

Here's my stance:

If you like Kerry/Edwards, you'll think Edwards won.

If you like Bush/Cheney, you'll think Cheney won.

Some people on this forum seem to have an inability to admit when their candidate fails or falls behind in a poll, debate, or whatever else.  I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can, and I saw a clear Cheney win last night.  Likewise, I saw a clear Kerry win last Thursday night.

Bush did horrible, Kerry did great, Edwards did "okay," and Cheney was fantastic.  And that's coming from someone who likes Bush and Edwards, but dislikes Kerry and Cheney.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2004, 12:58:50 PM »

I essentially agree with you and will only suggest that Kerry did "good" instead of "great." 

Unfortunately Bush's terrible performance made Kerry's 'good' performance seem better than it was by contrast with Bush's ineptitude.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies